RF4mod

Old Burg Lake

old-burg-lake.thumb.jpg.5a4a7674f8284fb8698205bfae70c5ec.jpg

A small but yet deep lake, lost in the swampy woods near Kostroma. Local waters are rich in large fish, among which trophy pike or perch are rather common. Local anglers tell about catching extremely long eels, and some of them even caught catfish. Feeder fishing enthusiasts can catch here bream, common carp or black carp. Especially interesting is the black carp, which is highly valued at the local fish market for its excellent taste.

To access this waterbody you need to be level 12.

ya i have been talking to guys in chat and as myself have been having a horrible time catching anything. I have caught some big bream in the holes but along the edges there is virtualy no fish for telescopic rods. i will do some more testing but i been playing hours and have only 5 fish. 

This should help you : 

Spoiler

Edited by Gytautelis
  • Like 1

My favourite place. I spent endless hours exploring every single bush, tree, hole, lily pad. You can practice almost every fishing technique here and there are plenty of "tactical" spots that need knowledge and the right equipment to be successfull. It is possible to plan a long journey around both internal and external coastline, just make shure you have enough food, bait and groundbait. Strong Common Carp and Grass Carp lurk under the plants in shallow waters, terrifying catfish and burbots live in deep holes showing up at night and pushing your rods and reels at limit. If  you find yourself unprepared, they will spool your line and even break your stuff. But what I really love are the wide clearings  where to fish for breams at extreme casting ranges with specialized rods. Timing the strike on a white bream at 40 meters out during night time can be very tricky! :)

28 minutes ago, adrenaline catch said:

Hey peeps.. just made it to ol burg lake.. having trouble catching fish.. I don’t know we’re they are.. plenty of Carp near weeds. But there a bit for level 12 gear

Go to Cold Swamps - Cross the bridge and immediately turn left, follow the lake until you receive the message location Cold Swamps. You will know you are in the right area, because the area feels really sheltered and there is a tree branch sticking out of the water to your left. There is a lot of surface weed, duck weed. Try there.

Edited by Hookjaw Jim
Missed a couple of words

Just now, adrenaline catch said:

Thanks mate.. what about luring.. I’ll figure it out eventually 

Lure fishing is a different beast to be honest. I never actually did much good on old burg, you could try the margins near branches in the water or try the location i8 on the map. 

Another spot which produced a fair amount of perch and pike but seemed to drop off considerably when enough fish caught was the location near the starting area. Exit the village and go left. Go past the bridge and follow the lake edge until you come to a spot with a wooden pier, in a bay with lots of reeds. Walk out to the end of the pier and spin that area. There are probably other spots, but to be honest, stick with winding rivulet. 

• Thanks 1

So I've been hunting the black carp here and haven't had any luck. My question is should I target deep holes or should I target edges of reeds and lilies?

I have only ever caught one small one, (under 2kg). It was at the end of a storm in the late afternoon, about a meter from the bank on a maggot.

The area with the branches in the water roughly around 68:15-20, there was a large log to my right angled into the water near some lillies and I find it a decent spot for nightime fish, and I was messing around there after the storm and hooked it. Not tried there after a storm since but may be worth a crack.

Ahh, so I guess they are just rare, I've been fishing pretty much every where but primarily in the north east part of the map, but I'll check out the little lake in the south east, I've fished there before but its so far away I don't like walking there, lol.   Black carp and eel are the only fish I haven't caught in Old Burg yet, I've caught every other fish up to Kouri lake. Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out.  

well there you have it, at 64:23 at 22:00ish wind west at 0.4 and sunny all day. my first black carp, thanks for the info on the spot. I'm happy even tho he small. Been hunting for some time now. and it was about 30 min after reading this board too.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.8860_20171217_105612.thumb.png.b67bace8e4e40d48ff4d196fccb08675.png

Edited by Wanpug
  • Like 2

What about the East coast of Old Burg? I actually use it as an escape route when stalking big Grass Carps I hooked at Sleepy Hollow. I tried some botton fishing along this east part of the lake, but I only cought small fish and pikes on spinning along the path and some heavy catfish into the 6 meters deep hole in the north-east.

Anyone spending some time in this area?

I've found that hole to have bream, roach, and the occasional common carp in it. I haven't tried it at night - but I would imagine burbot and maybe a cat or two.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

What about the East coast of Old Burg? I actually use it as an escape route when stalking big Grass Carps I hooked at Sleepy Hollow. I tried some botton fishing along this east part of the lake, but I only cought small fish and pikes on spinning along the path and some heavy catfish into the 6 meters deep hole in the north-east.

Anyone spending some time in this area?

Have tried the NE corner a while ago but without noticable success. I'm mostly fishing in Sleepy hollow or around NW section with a small island or on western bank.
Also if you do it right no fish should escape you from Sleepy hollow, which is probably the best thing about that place ;)

4 minutes ago, JunkyJuke said:

I challenge you to hold in place a 8kg grass on a 7.5kg reel xD

I challenge anyone to hold an 8kg grass carp on a 10kg reel, let alone 7.5kg lol. Gonna need to get the water skis out for that challenge me thinks.

Edited by Hookjaw Jim
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hookjaw Jim said:

I challenge anyone to hold an 8kg grass carp on a 10kg reel, let alone 7.5kg lol. Gonna need to get the water skis out for that challenge me thinks.

I fished out a 12kg grass carp on a 13kg rod with a 5.5kg reel. So? :D:D

You just need to drive the fish away in the corner. That's why Sleepy hollow is the best place for that, just position yourself on the west so the fish will try to run away from you to the east and then she's cornered and then you just need to wait. ;)

I'm not saying it is impossible infact most of the times I manage to make them stuck in place, but sometimes they point directly at the "extraction point" and there is no way to stop them, no matter how you handle the rod. In that case the marathon takes place xD

1 hour ago, JunkyJuke said:

I'm not saying it is impossible infact most of the times I manage to make them stuck in place, but sometimes they point directly at the "extraction point" and there is no way to stop them, no matter how you handle the rod. In that case the marathon takes place xD

Ofc you're right, sometimes they just escape no matter what. I also went once from Sleepy hollow around west to that NW corner with an island and almost back again to the Sleepy hollow. ;)  At that point you just pray you have long enough line in your reel, especially around that island...

2 hours ago, LordLuba said:

Ofc you're right, sometimes they just escape no matter what. I also went once from Sleepy hollow around west to that NW corner with an island and almost back again to the Sleepy hollow. ;)  At that point you just pray you have long enough line in your reel, especially around that island...

Hehe, aye, happened to me lat week. Pulled a steam train, ran round the holoow clockwise literaly from bridge end point to next end point, and it went under the bridge and far away, no matter what I tried. Thankfully it slipped my hook as I was running around the main bank on the main island area. Pity though, must have been a sweet fish. :P (It was that big!! <Holds arms wide>) Lol

• Like 2