1 hour ago, Strings said:

Hey there, I was wondering how i get more line on my reel. In the description it tells me it can handle 200 meters but i can only get around 100 meters of line. is there a way to combine lines? thanks

Never mind I found the long lines :P

In addition, line capacity is based on the diameter of the line. Thus if a reel says that it can take 200 meters of  0.1 line, it will hold significantly less 0.25 line due to the line being double the diameter.

Just now, Strings said:

oke so now i bought 350 meters of line and my reel can handle about 200 meters of it. is there a way to put only that 200 on my reel? cos now there is 350 on it

no, this is not currently implemented.You will use as much line as your reel can hold, the remaining line is not divided in any way.remember this is early beta and many of these things are coming in the future.

3 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Is there any news yet on a UI indication yet showing us how much line is on the reel vs how much line is spooled off or in the water?

There won't be another indicator in the interface, but we will add more reels showing how much line is out in the future.

2 hours ago, Vedixsz said:

Any reason why spinning seems to be insanely inferior to float?

Spoiler

I have been doing spinning all day on the Winding River and got very mediocre results. I mean just looking at that river it should be spinning heaven but its so dissapointing. Went through the entire river using a bunch of different lures... I prefer doing spin fishing really dont want to go back to float just so i can make some silver :/

So its not that its inferior, it's that it takes a lot more skill to spin fish! Have you invested any skill points in your spinning skill tree?  That will go along way to giving you better successes! Also, you need to work on your retrieval methods the better you present your lure to the fish the greater chance they will take the bite. I myself have had pretty good luck there down by the bend in the river just by the campsite.

15 minutes ago, Vedixsz said:

So far i have invested 5 points in the first skill, 3 points in the second skill and 1 point in the third skill. I will be adding 2 more points in the third skill to max it out as that should supposedly give me a better chance of landing bigger fish.

Spoiler

Right now though float beats spinning by a mile in terms of efficiency. By the time i make 5 silver spinning i can easily make 15-20 silver float fishing. 

Im not to sure about the retrieval methods tbh its hard to tell what the effects are from you doing a certain technique. Right now im favoring a slow straight retrieve on reel speed 6. It works decently well (its not terrible atleast). Stop and go is weird as you dont want the lure to be touching bottom when fishing pike for example, its hard to get an idea of how your lure is actually moving. However stop and go with the lure touching bottom has worked for pike a couple of times which it really shouldnt be. 

Is twitching even possible to do in this game? As right click tugs really hard. I dont think there is a way to just slightly tug?

I recommend you put more skill points into the second pie chart. That one is for handling your spinning rod. It allows you to cast out further, with a better accuracy and you will have better control over the fish. That is more important than maxing out the third pie chart, which is for fishing with spoons and spinners.

You can try out different techniques by switching reel in speed. By pressing [SHIFT] you can give it quick speed bursts. Also, don't forget to pause for a few seconds in between turning of the reel. Predators can be attracted by irratic behavior.

Not every lure will give you the twitch ability; only wobblers, topwater lures and jerkbaits can twitch when you click the right mouse button. 

14 hours ago, Vedixsz said:

Any reason why spinning seems to be insanely inferior to float?

Spoiler

I have been doing spinning all day on the Winding River and got very mediocre results. I mean just looking at that river it should be spinning heaven but its so dissapointing. Went through the entire river using a bunch of different lures... I prefer doing spin fishing really dont want to go back to float just so i can make some silver :/

Inferior to float!?! My Good Man, the gentlemanly art of spinning is not inferior... It is different in technique and focus. In spinning you are hunting the wolves and tigers of the deeps not the cows and sheep.  Cows and sheep travel in herds and eat easily obtainable foods, thus their numbers are large and their willingness to bite on common baits is large.  Float fishing is like camping or pulling carrots, spin fishing is the hunt primeaval  The tigers and wolves are fewer in number and it takes a bit of knowledge of habits and a bit of stalking and ambush to succeed. Even then, you simply will not catch as many fish spinning as you will float fishing (except perch of course they will eat anything including each other). Try some of the following:

Spinners on slow steady retrieve (speed 10), silver /red/blue on sunny days and gold / copper / yellow/green on cloudy days. Use spinners with willow leaf blades in fast water and spinners with round blades in still or deep water. 

Spoons or Jigs: reel 4 cranks of the handle pause for a count of 3 to 5, repeat. By testing different reel speeds you will likely find the 'jig step' which is killer for many species.

Hunters follow prey, prey follow graze, many types of graze are shifted by the wind so spin fish the down wind shore when ever possible

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vedixsz said:

I have been doing some more experimenting on the Winding River and i think i have a pretty good idea how to fish there now. Float is still way more efficient but i will be sticking to spinning just because for me personally its a more enjoyable form of fishing, even knowing that i wont make as much silver as float fishers. Hopefully with some more points in the spinning tree it will get better but its okay for now.

Thanks for the tips people!

Bear in mind that in order to progress through levels at a fair rate you will need to be an all around Angler, I suggest setting upa couple feeder rods while you spin fish, or a feeder and a float rod. that way spinning keeps you entertained while the others keep your progress on track.

15 minutes ago, nihues said:

Does the +1 jig bonus (as example) count above the +3 skill? If using a Rod with +1 jig it will count as +4 skill for exemple? Or +5 if using +2 jig skill?

Yes it does!

2 hours ago, Aibehn said:

I'm loving spin fishing. I had very good fights. I'm currently with starter gear ( corona fishing, 1.5kg line, and starting reel ). I managed to fish a 2.7Kg pike, but after a few days, I'm having trouble to fish even 1kg pike. They keep going away from me, and I cannot fight them back. I adjust reel drag so tension doesn't go into the red zone, but the final result is always the same I keep getting out of line so I got line torn off.

What I'm doing wrong? any tips on how do I need to fight back?

Hey Aibehn,

as far i understand your problem it sounds like you need to repair something but to be sure you should provide us with a screenshot.

1 hour ago, nihues said:

I'm on the spinning boat too... at Kuoro 10kg gear have some trouble even with 3-5kg fish.... 

Your gear need maintance? Or need more line (need to use the XL lines-but use braided because is more thin, depend on the reel how much line can handle) or big setup.

Hey nihues,
with what kind of species of fish you get a problem, on your gear, and can you clarify your problem a bit. To be sure your setups is balanced you should provide us with a screenshot of your setup.

5 minutes ago, Aibehn said:

Got a bit more success with 7lb line instead of 3lb of the screenshot. However, with 7lb line it might damage my reel since its 3Kg max drag.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.8668_20171027_154602.png

7lb line is still fine for your Reel and since it is the Starter Reel. It sooner or later will gonna break, cause its just out of plastic (walmart quality), but i wouldn't suggest you to repair it, just get a new one, it's cheaper. Pike are very strong fighters and will fight way more on your setup than a chub or an Ide would. If you want to target bigger pike you can for instance try to use a 350m line, of the same diameter, since you can put 350m on ur reel and only have 120m on now.

4 minutes ago, Aibehn said:

Thx, I will give it try although 350m line seems a lite expensive for my setup. Any specific setup that I should be aiming for?

depending on what you want to target and you can spend. The lacerti for example will allready do you a better job but you would need to take care of your rod since its under 5.5kg.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Todlesstod said:

When reeling in the line moves left or right seemingly at random, even in apparently still water. Is this a bug, or for some reason this is how it will work.

Also, after casting, reeling just a bit will have the line jump to a new position. What's up with that?

Hi Todlesstod

Could you please provide us with a printscreen of your setup.

1 hour ago, nihues said:

I have a little question, Is there a reason to fish escape when fighting apparently without reason? Lost 4 medium/big (I think around 4-6kg) on Kuori in a row, basically after they are tired and with 50% tension normally (near max yellow bar, reel brake set around 20). The last one was tired already was just bringing to boat... 

Using Braid line, 9kg reel, 7kg rod (Dynamic 66MH I think - need money to move higher rod....) 34% learned from spinning 4 points on spinning with rod (sry forgot name the one that add fish technique too). Maybe is the hook? I was using Slim M lure (Not the SlimShot Lure witch is pricier and bigger and more stars.) Maybe that's the reason? Too small lure/quality for too big fish? It was just annoying not gaining ~100 credits in 10min =(.

Hi nihues.

Could you please provide us screenshots of your setup & skill tree?

it could also be any combination of the following, it could be your lure, it could be that you are missing skill points, the angle of your rod & the tension on your line.

Please bear in mind without screenshots, we are unable to determine exactly what is happening.

On 30-10-2017 at 3:38 PM, nihues said:

I know it could be a lot of things, but normally is one type of fish (as I see it's almost the same "Tatic" of fish pushing the line, like a Pike or Kuori Char) that escape.... and normally bigger ones as they tend to take a lot of line... but this time happened 4 times in a row in 10mn real time :S but got 1 kuori at least...

And I know the Rod is not ideal (weak link), but reel stay at safe (max 20). I'm saving to buy a 14-15kg rod. And will invest my points on spinning too (invested a lot on float/feeder), now changing to spinning slowly. I think it happened with Syberia Icon Slim, then I changed to Hypno. That's why I think it's the lure (a good one, but loose much on big fish maybe)

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8668_20171030_123014.thumb.png.b67d7330528b7bb4c40f1aeced48347c.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8668_20171030_123050.thumb.png.4123c1c4ab0d848410786419c3ed3823.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8668_20171030_073708.thumb.png.b8b0a96f76daba53183eec790c07405d.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8668_20171030_123108.thumb.png.c172a33450ce7a0654d8ff23e3602722.png

Nihues, First and for most the way that your rod is set up is dangerous and you could end up breaking the rod and reel!  Secondly if the fish runs at you and line goes slack you have a great risk of the fish getting off the hooks and as your skill tree shows you do not have enough skill points in fishing with a spinning rod more points in this skill give you much better handling of the fish. If you look at the star rating on the lure that will show you the quality of that lure the higher quality means a better hook as well fish will get loose less but still need the skill to pull the fish in. You also should try angeling your rod away to the side do not point at the fish when fighting it,

2 minutes ago, nihues said:

Yes I know about the setup... that's why I've put more line (235m).... soon will change to a new rod... and the reel stay at 20max... normaly 16...

About the skill... I'll max out all the spinning skill and fishing with rod (first)...

The thing is the 4 escapes was in sequence.... 2 occurred with fish already tired and 2 normal after around 20sec of fight. That's bugs me... but it can happen... hehe

Try angling the rod to the side and not straight at the fish.

4 minutes ago, Todlesstod said:

I have the first spinning rod, the first or second reel (i switch between them) and some lures from the first 3 cheapest lures. I think line is 4 something kilos, and the first leader.

I throw, like crap because I have like 1 point in spinning, and the lure lands somewhere. I reel and line gets tight but seems to move (or go deeper in water). When I retrieve without moving the rod sometimes the line gets way to the right, at some point it may start going left. Near the shore the is usually some lateral movement for some reason.

Could you please provide us with screenshots so we can tell you what is happening.

3 minutes ago, Kidcadillac said:

what are the different retrieve techniques other than jig step the only one im able to do....

Hey Kidcadiccal,

there are Twitching, Jig Step, Stop and Go, Speed Up and Walk the Dog.

2 minutes ago, Kidcadillac said:

Try angling the rod to the side and not straight at the fish.

Done that and was standing (not sit, always was sit... lazy, I know...) on the boat, didn't lost one fish... all 3-5kg. Got 2 very difficult ones with small setup one 4.7 lake trout with 5.5 setup wear of ~15% cheap reel/rod... one pike of 4+kg too... with the 7.5kg setup (the one I normally loose more the).

Another thing I've done was reduce reel brakes... so it was not braking too hard... 

34 minutes ago, Aibehn said:

I just unlocked Jigging Rig, the most basic, but I don't find it as effective as spoons. Any tips? I'm trying Jig Step.

Hey Aibehn.

depending on where you are fishing spoons maybe more effective that jigs. Since i don't know what level you are i suggest you to try the Jigging Rig on Winding Rivulet or Volkhov.

Just now, Aibehn said:

Winding Rivulet right now. I tried on the main river near the lake, on the camp, and on the rapids. Where jigs are supposed to be more effective than spons?

Maybe your hook is too big or you just using the wrong plastic bait in the wrong color i would try a provoker in green or yellow on a s1-1/0 hook. Try looking for deeper places or with the protected jighead over reads and in covered areas.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, alecolos92 said:

How can i perform a stop and go with a spoon? i mean...is there a way to permorm it correctly so it is showed up on the top left of the line tension bar? at the moment the only thing i can display is jig step and touching the bottom(lol)

Hey alecolos92,

Stop&Go and JigStep are very similar the only big difference is that with Stop&Go your lure shouldn't touch the bottom, and if you do it correctly it shows at the top of your tension bar.

3 minutes ago, alecolos92 said:

there's nothing i can do...i'm trying above a deep hole so it doesnt hit the bottom but nothing

Try very light lures that need longer for sinking

6 minutes ago, ayala2k17 said:

Hello dear anglers.I`m a new player when it comes to spin fishing,i`ve tryd spinfishing before in other games and i didnt like it.But i thought i`d give it a try in RF4 too.My questions are to those spingfishing masters in rf4.

1question is:How can i determin the hook size on a lure.Because i cant see anywhere the hook size

2 question is : are there any tricks when it comes to the retrieve method,could you guys share some if possible.

3question is: If you`d have to pick 5 lures that you use the most which are those lures?

Thx to everyone that will help me and tight lines to all of you.

ayala2k17, Answer 1 is if you hover over the i on the lure in your inventory it will tell you hook size.

Answer 2 retrieval methods differ from lure to lure and reel and rod so it is hard to give you an exact answer for that in it is mostly trial and error till you find one that works with your setup.

Answer 3 It all depends on what type of fish you are looking to catch and what water body you are fishing at and the current time and weather in game.