RF4mod

Live and Baitfish

Share your knowledge and experience with fellow anglers.  

Posted (edited)

I don't know how many players are high enough to unlock this technique and how many actually go fishing with live bait. But in my experience it is a very low rewarding discipline, outclassed by spinning and all the bottom fishing rigs. 

First of all you have to catch your baits and they require very restrictive fish sizes to make them viable for bait crafting. So there are two cases: you equip for light fishing and waste your time trying to catch the correct fish sizes that you will subsequently use to  try fishing anything (see below) or you put yourself in the fate's hands and accept those random small fish you catch. 

Second. Bite rates are the lowest in the whole game. You literally place a dead rod on on the stand for entire ingame days. I tried by setting up a timer, changing spot every 10 minutes without success. You will eventually catch some random catfish that will make your life impossible or you will catch some small size pike not worth the effort. Live bait effectiveness is equal to zero. 

Third. Casting distances are terribly short. I'm actually using baitfish rig on the model one FD450XH, syberia gold 80s reel, davilbraid 0.23 and I can barely cast the heavier baits like 10/20 meters out, rendering it impossible to reach the deep holes where I'm supposed to fish with live baits.

This is my personal thought after putting a lot of effort in it. In the actual state live bait fishing is underdeveloped and needs some serious investigation and love. It should be a killer discipline as it is in real fishing. But actually it's only a placeholder, so it is better to wait for more development.

Edited by JunkyJuke
  • Like 1

Not that im a pro here or anything but have you tried fishing from a boat with the live bait? that way you can get to the deep areas?

Bait Bucket LF12

Anyone know how to use this?

I can't find any instructions.

13 minutes ago, MikeB20 said:

Bait Bucket LF12

Anyone know how to use this?

I can't find any instructions.

Ok, I think I figured it out.

Use crafting to turn frog(or fish) into live bait.

How long will the live bait last, and how many live baits can the bucket store?

On 4/2/2018 at 6:57 AM, MikeB20 said:

Ok, I think I figured it out.

Use crafting to turn frog(or fish) into live bait.

How long will the live bait last, and how many live baits can the bucket store?

Hello MikeB20,

I'm sorry for the delay on answering your question. Bait bucket is used in making live bait from small fish. You don't need it if you are making live bait out of frogs also frogs don't spoil. Since bait bucket is only used for crafting you are storing your bait fish in your inventory so you can have as many live bait fish as you want but overtime those fish will reach 0% freshness. Bait fish should go from 100% freshness to 0% freshness in 72 Hours. After the fish reaches 0% freshness it will stay in your inventory and will still be usable but you won't get as many bites as on 100% bait fish.

Hello gents,

almost one month later and still I can's figure how to make this discipline to work. It is a bit infuriating to have unlocked such a high level technique and still not being able to catch predator at decent rates (by decent I mean one fish a day :o). The only relevant fish I cought was a trophy burbot at Kuori some weeks ago, but after hours and hours of nothing. 

I tried to cast the little fishes everywhere around Volkhov, Sura and Kuori. I chose specially those hot-spots I would go spinning for predators. Many and many times the rod stays there, abandoned to its fate and I feel I'm wasting a rod slot I could use for something else. To be honest the idea suggested by @Mephiose and someone else in the ingame chat of casting live bait from the boat with the chance of getting stuck on it  (you know you cant place feeders on the boat stands, nor you can activate the engine) is not appealing and sound more like a workaround to a lack of development.

I was able to half resolve the problem of casting range by restricting the bait selection to small fish so that I can use heavier sinkers on my model one feeder (140g test) but still I struggle to reach some holes or interesting areas. Maybe I will need to invest in some heavier test rods, but at this point I don't have enough trust in baitfishing to risk wasting thousand of silver for a rod that I probably will not use.

So guys I'm in very desperate need of someone sharing his experience with live bait. What am I doing wrong? are there any special areas where it really works? I really want to get good with live bait but at this point I don't have idea where to bang my head. 

Please help!  :(

• Confused 1

Really? I spent 4h harvesting baitfish to this happen? 4h harvesting then 8h fishing... 12h of work, to make around 500 silver... Why to use baitfish instead of others baits?

Spoiler

setup.thumb.jpg.8867709af73093dc1a662f9c0a99c9e7.jpgburbot.thumb.jpg.ef263f36da09952aee2c59872ed04ae3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/15/2018 at 9:27 AM, JunkyJuke said:

Hello gents,almost one month later and still I can's figure how to make this discipline to work. It is a bit infuriating to have unlocked such a high level technique and still not being able to catch predator at decent rates (by decent I mean one fish a day :o). The only relevant fish I cought was a trophy burbot at Kuori some weeks ago, but after hours and hours of nothing.

Spoiler

I tried to cast the little fishes everywhere around Volkhov, Sura and Kuori. I chose specially those hot-spots I would go spinning for predators. Many and many times the rod stays there, abandoned to its fate and I feel I'm wasting a rod slot I could use for something else. To be honest the idea suggested by @Mephiose and someone else in the ingame chat of casting live bait from the boat with the chance of getting stuck on it  (you know you cant place feeders on the boat stands, nor you can activate the engine) is not appealing and sound more like a workaround to a lack of development.

I was able to half resolve the problem of casting range by restricting the bait selection to small fish so that I can use heavier sinkers on my model one feeder (140g test) but still I struggle to reach some holes or interesting areas. Maybe I will need to invest in some heavier test rods, but at this point I don't have enough trust in baitfishing to risk wasting thousand of silver for a rod that I probably will not use.

So guys I'm in very desperate need of someone sharing his experience with live bait. What am I doing wrong? are there any special areas where it really works? I really want to get good with live bait but at this point I don't have idea where to bang my head. 

Please help!  :(

I feel the same way, That was the one ability I was looking forward to the most on feeders. Just started fishing baitfish on the 1 rod that has high enough test. Have only caught a few fish fishing Kuori. (Maybe a couple hours invested) Decided to cap the trophy perk for it and keep trying. Next fish was a Super Trophy Burbot after about 15 minutes no bites. So my hope is renewed that it will be viable long run. But that one fish made it worth it for me for sure.

@Pindobinha Ya 113g Vendace on a 78g ruffe that I just got just seems wrong lol.. That is one hungry Vendace.. My ruffe looks like it could easily beat him up.

Posted (edited)

Also wouldn't use braid with a baitfish rig or a leader unless you are targeting pike or catfish. Light mono or flouro. Thats just me tho. Everyone seems to use braid no matter what fish they are targeting and I think that is probably bad. Gotta risk losing a hook sometimes or getting spooled for more bites/certain species. That's how I see it atleast

Also, I like to use a seperate set of feeders when targeting baitfish with really light line and small hooks, that way they are already set up, no prep needed and you can fill up on ruffle, white bream and roach pretty easily and those are the targets for your smaller baits that match your test @JunkyJuke

Edited by Tenzen
adding
  • Like 1

On 19/4/2018 at 1:28 PM, Tenzen said:

Also wouldn't use braid with a baitfish rig or a leader unless you are targeting pike or catfish. Light mono or flouro. Thats just me tho. Everyone seems to use braid no matter what fish they are targeting and I think that is probably bad. Gotta risk losing a hook sometimes or getting spooled for more bites/certain species. That's how I see it atleast

Also, I like to use a seperate set of feeders when targeting baitfish with really light line and small hooks, that way they are already set up, no prep needed and you can fill up on ruffle, white bream and roach pretty easily and those are the targets for your smaller baits that match your test @JunkyJuke

Thank you very much Tenzen but I dont feel comfortable with nylon and fluoro when going for big fish like kuori char, not because I'm scared of pike cutting my line, but because they offer few line meters in the spool. Btw I'm slowly getting it. I discovered that Ruffe and other small fish give some positive results, much better than Perch and Gibel/Crucian do. Still more slow than worms and other baits but hey! Also I can cast them better. 

@JunkyJuke Ya, you are right about Kuori Char, too bad we cant set feeders down in the boat, that would be great.  And after some testing, braided/flouro leader is getting alot of bites on the baitfish rig. I was wrong. :/

• Like 1

I do agree it needs some love! Just went through a bunch of ruffe (that 2-4 silver per bait if I sold them) and mostly got small fish. A small keeper Kuori and 7k trout were the only keepers I think. Also the fish were biting more than often. Seems like a very situational skill. Maybe like If you locate certain fish biting, then throw out baitfish to try for a big one. That might be the best application instead of farming for bait just to go out and have a bad trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tenzen said:

I do agree it needs some love! Just went through a bunch of ruffe (that 2-4 silver per bait if I sold them) and mostly got small fish. A small keeper Kuori and 7k trout were the only keepers I think. Also the fish were biting more than often. Seems like a very situational skill. Maybe like If you locate certain fish biting, then throw out baitfish to try for a big one. That might be the best application instead of farming for bait just to go out and have a bad trip.

Im not at live bait yet, but my plan is to invest in a small telestick that i will use to catch small fish and then use those for live bait. If i catch a small carp then im guessing the predatory at that place will eat carp cos there is probably a shoal of carp right there. If that makes sense

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Strings said:

Im not at live bait yet, but my plan is to invest in a small telestick that i will use to catch small fish and then use those for live bait. If i catch a small carp then im guessing the predatory at that place will eat carp cos there is probably a shoal of carp right there. If that makes sense

Mostly it is what I am doing at the moment. I set up a picker rod with small hook and worms/maggots as bait to catch local small "forage" fish like roach, ruffe and small white bream at Kuori and when I have one I set the live bait dedicated feeder. Meantime I stay focused on spinning. It is more entertaining than profit efficient because the bigs come at a low rate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Mostly it is what I am doing at the moment. I set up a picker rod with small hook and worms/maggots as bait to catch local small "forage" fish like roach, ruffe and small white bream at Kuori and when I have one I set the live bait dedicated feeder. Meantime I stay focused on spinning. It is more entertaining than profit efficient because the bigs come at a low rate. 

Its all about the joy of fishing :D

Posted (edited)

I normally catched my baitfishes always at Mosquito, but lately the weight ratio was inacceptable to do so (2-5 baitfish within 100 fishes)

It seems the avg size has been increased there, or I was really unlucky. (obviously hook size #24)

So I was searching around for a new sweetspot and after a while I found one.

Old Burg, 47:20, bottom fishing, Hooksize #24.

Bait: my favorite is oatmeal porridge (mainly giebel and crucian, low amount of roaches and bleak too), fly ( bleak and frog), worm (everything)

Bite rate is really good.

Good luck and have fun.

Spoiler

baitfish.thumb.jpg.52e5070a061b0d16f778a35daa96245a.jpgrf4_4.0.10149_20180629_204222.thumb.png.8272dfc9a2b1fbfaf9db8202f004ad6e.png

Edited by Setup
  • Like 1

On 23/4/2018 at 8:58 AM, Tenzen said:

So.. how do you feel about live bait now? :P 

live bait for feeder need to be reworked in the game, it totally don't work, i asked lvl40 players if it work good, all answered me, no totally useless at this moment.

example few lvl40 gave me their rentability test, russian players and french players, just an example, few days ago a player lvl40 made 3 ingame days with live bait on feeder = 2 Pikes, this is just incredible.

Why dev's don't work on the live bait mechanic for feeder , this problem is here for long time now, they really need to work on a better olive bait system and especially increase a lot the biterate when using libe bait with feeder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chey said:

live bait for feeder need to be reworked in the game, it totally don't work, i asked lvl40 players if it work good, all answered me, no totally useless at this moment.

example few lvl40 gave me their rentability test, russian players and french players, just an example, few days ago a player lvl40 made 3 ingame days with live bait on feeder = 2 Pikes, this is just incredible.

Why dev's don't work on the live bait mechanic for feeder , this problem is here for long time now, they really need to work on a better olive bait system and especially increase a lot the biterate when using libe bait with feeder.

Hi chey

I felt left out because I am lvl 40 and you didn't ask me ... but anyway last few days I was fishing with live bait and had very good results - Sura, Belaya, Kuori and Old Burg. I don't know what other players are doing wrong if they catch 2 fish within 3 days but they are doing something wrong. It is your choice if you want to listen and be discouraged by those players comments but they are not true, live bait is working and you can get nice fish on it.

Regards

Levo

5 minutes ago, Levo said:

Hi chey

I felt left out because I am lvl 40 and you didn't ask me ... but anyway last few days I was fishing with live bait and had very good results - Sura, Belaya, Kuori and Old Burg. I don't know what other players are doing wrong if they catch 2 fish within 3 days but they are doing something wrong. It is your choice if you want to listen and be discouraged by those players comments but they are not true, live bait is working and you can get nice fish on it.

Regards

Levo

maybe for you things are ok but for some of us it just sucks

1 hour ago, chey said:

me personally i think the bite rate as been so bad for long time every week just gets lower and lower fish get smaller + this fish getaway  what gets me is i can let the fish rip line from my reel for like 5 to 10 minutes then as soon as i pic up the rod with in 5 seconds the fish got away ..just big fish .. 

I'm only level 31, but I disagree that the bite rate is bad on baitfish, at least for me it's quite good on all the water bodies so far. Only issue that I have with the baitfish is that you get too much too small fish biting. And I don't mean like 1 kg Zander, I mean 100g Perch on a 45g Gudgeon or a 64g Chub on a 40g Ruffe. So I feel like the only thing that needs to be tweaked a bit is the size of the fish that can actually go for a baitfish.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10473_20180807_013922.png

• Like 3