RF4mod

Spoons

Share your knowledge, experience and technique with fellow anglers.  

Spoons are very, very good on most if not all fish that are able to be caught with lures.

Picking the color and size that trophy fish love is tricky, but make sure you have an appropriate hook size for the fish you're targeting on your spoons!

I found that Size 2, 1, 1/0, work great on spoons. For small pike(500g - 2.5kg) and trophy perch (400g+) I use a size 1 hook on my spoons.

For the retrieve I use the Jig Step technique, which is essential. I set my reel speed to 30 and do 1 crank of the reel, pause for ~1-2 seconds, then rinse and repeat. For variation you can do 2 cranks between each pause, I found that this works better when there is current.

For beginners i recommend the Syberia Fat - S spoon in gold. This will land big perch and you might even hook into a pike if you're lucky.

The next spoons you should get are the Hypnotic series spoons, very good into higher levels and can land monster fish.

• Thanks 3

Make sure when jig stepping spoons, to pause at random intervals.

Randomness + maintaining the "jig step" indicator is the key to enticing plenty of fish.

I recommend a 40+ retrieval speed in order to crank that spoon up and over objects in the water, as slopes and other abnormalities that you can't see will interrupt your jig step sequence. The idea is to keep the indicator up for as long as possible. If you can't get the "jig step" indicator going because of structures or shallow water, switch to a double crank (2 reel rotations), or you can also try a different spoon.

Also i find that some fish likes a faster movement of the lure, where as others bite more on lower speeds.

In kouri, lake trout, sevan trout and kouri char all like the faster lures, and they often bite on impact or rapid movement after the lure has landed.

Were as chars and burbots seems to bite alot more on slower retrieval speeds, where you almost drag the lure across the bottom.

Keep in mind that this is my experience and not a sure thing.

• Like 2

Hi, what colours lures would you recommend for cloudy days for me to try? Sorry im new to all this😐

It depends on the fish ur trying to catch.

at the moment i really like the blue veikko for cloudy weather in volkhov and sura for asp.

Hunter 002 seems to work for almost all fish, so thats a good lure to have. Also hunter number 011 or 012 can do good. Same as hunter 001 and 003.

In general Hunters do good, but i really like the veikkos, but seeing as im fishing with ultra light setup these days, the hunters are the only spoons i can use.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Any views on red lure like the veikko 006? Is that for cloudy days or night? 😊And arent the gold and cooper ones for cloudy days ? Sorry in  advance just trying to get some info as dont want to waste silver 😂😄

Edited by Wanessa

16 hours ago, Wanessa said:

Any views on red lure like the veikko 006? Is that for cloudy days or night? 😊And arent the gold and cooper ones for cloudy days ? Sorry in  advance just trying to get some info as dont want to waste silver 😂😄

Hi Wanessa

Gold and cooper worked for me well on sunny days but it all depends on the water body and all the conditions - depth, time of the day and what fish you trying to target. The best option is to test it yourself.

Regards

Levo

3 hours ago, Levo said:

Hi Wanessa

Gold and cooper worked for me well on sunny days but it all depends on the water body and all the conditions - depth, time of the day and what fish you trying to target. The best option is to test it yourself.

Regards

Levo

Hey Levo, many thanks at least i can try gold and copper lures in sunny weather and see what that brings . Its a start at least 😊

13 hours ago, Levo said:

Hi Wanessa

Regards

Levo

I will have to try this too. I have rarely fished spoons in freshwater before. But here in Texas, saltwater fishing for redfish we use silver on bright sunny days with success and Gold on party or fully cloudy days. But this is pretty much exclusively in very shallow clear water.

I have not thrown a gold/copper spoon yet at all during the sunny days ingame. Now I want to try. I have however hooked into some big fish when I try gold/copper on very overcast days. But I guess does depend on the water clarity/depth you are fishing as well. Interesting... Thanks Levo

Posted (edited)

So sorry if sounds dumb. But i see the same make type of spoons but with different weights. Some 7g and some 20g for example yet they only 1cm longer i think. Why would i use a heavier spoon?  For deep holes? 

I can jig step the 7g ones on winding but cant seem to do it with the 20g ones even when i turn up retrieve speed etc. Hmmmm . Again just trying to learn understand.  

Edited by FasTy

7 minutes ago, FasTy said:

So sorry if sounds dumb. But i see the same make type of spoons but with different weights. Some 7g and some 20g for example yet they only 1cm longer i think. Why would i use a heavier spoon?  For deep holes? 

I can jig step the 7g ones on winding but cant seem to do it with the 20g ones even when i turn up retrieve speed etc. Hmmmm . Again just trying to learn understand.  

Some rods have a test weight of lets say 10-30gr for those rods the 7gr spoon would be to light and you cant cast it really far. So there are lures for all the setups. Always keep in mind what the test of your rod is so you don't buy a lure that you cant really use.

• Like 1

Hi, yeah im using a 20g lure and my rod test is from 10g upwards so a 20g lure should be fine . Just cant seem to jig step it on winding ( 

13 minutes ago, FasTy said:

Hi, yeah im using a 20g lure and my rod test is from 10g upwards so a 20g lure should be fine . Just cant seem to jig step it on winding ( 

Ahh right missed that part, well I'm not a good source for spinfishing tips. I dont really use any techniques i just throw in my lure and do random stuff with the rod and reel (just like in rl :P) and sometimes catch something. so maybe someone ells knows. 

ohhh the only thing i can think of is the current, maybe it works better against the current or the other way around. Good luck  

Current does have a effect - also if you are in a hole and lure is coming towards you on slope it will not jig - step. Practise in still water. Heavier lures seem to need a bit higher speed.

But sometimes the fish bite on slower or sometimes higher speeds. The trick is in the pause which is quite long. 1 turn - stop - and repeat. Start with 20 reelspeed. Also wait for lure to drop to bottom because it can only jig - step on bottom. Hope that helps.