Crucian

Float Fishing Q&A

4 hours ago, CadyDady said:

The game have great potential...but impossible at the moment, at least for my nerves.  The problem is that the game is confusing, so a 9kg load capacity telescopic rod + a 15,6kg line + a 4 star hook and the biggest fish I got was a 2.999kg

Spoiler

and my line got reed almost at the break point. So taking that in consideration and knowing that in Old Burg Lake are fishes up to 20 kg...what gear do I need to fish there at float fishing? A 100kg road? + 200Kg line? 

If there is a another way that this kg resistance and drag are calculated than make it so we all understand not put a 9kg rod on that break at a 3 kg Fish.

Seconds ago I have just break my 300 silver 9kg rod on that lake...to much for me....grind like a mad man and in 2 sec line break.

So no point in Telescoping fishing in this game...all on Feeder fishing...and the balance is where?

Anyway...I am just pissed that I wasted so much time and money on an invalid way to progress in this game. 

38 minutes ago, nihues said:

You need at least a 15.7kg rod for a 15.6kg line... that's why you broke your rod.

If you use a Reel (Bolognese) you can catch double the kg, for example, a 5kg setup can catch a 10kg carp... or even more... but will be a hell of a fight.

29 minutes ago, CadyDady said:

So , on a telescopic road at float fishing my rod break because I had a 15 kg resistance line? and that cause some how to break my 9kg resistance rod?

So if I use a 9 kg line than I will have no issue at landing up to 9kg fish? Is that what you say? Can this be that easy?

Did I get it right? A 9kg rod with a 9kg line can at least land in a 9kg fish? Float Fishing.

Hey CadyDady,

on a telescopic rod you don't have much room to play a fish or even get it tired. Then you are using a 15 kg line on a 9 Kg Rod, that is not balanced at all, the weakest part of your whole setup is always the one that breaks first, so it happened to you with your rod breaking instead of your line. That's why we recommend using a weaker line than rod/reel. On a 9 Kg rod a 18 lb (8.6 kg) line is the maximum you can use without risking breaking your rod. Saying this and taking into consideration that a 3 kg fish can pull way more than just 3 kg, with the way they fight underwater and pull strength you won't handle much bigger fish on a FIXED TELESCOPIC ROD. That where reels come into play, for example, if you use a 9 kg bolognese rod with a 7.5 -8.5 Kg Reel and a 9 Kg line you will be able to handle much bigger fish, cause you have a Reel and more line to play the fish out. Hope this clarifies it a bit.

In the case of m3dic setup, you will break first the hook + Line

But if you want to go to safe side, use only the 1st or 2nd hooks (that's what I use normally for , maybe the 3rd hook will handle up to 9kg, (more quality of hook - stars - means it will handle more pressure in kg without break), then, the hook will break instead of line or rod.

Keep in mind the cheap FIXED TELESCOPIC is BAD for big fish (I landed a 4.7kg carp on a ~5.5 setup, but could break stuff as it go to red so fast that you can't do much to stop from a break), use only with small lures or use a bad hook, so you loose only the hook, not the rest of setup... move to reel to get bigger fish, on reel, you can change how much force you will do - and the fish can run as the line is not fixed on the rod, so you can balance your setup even if the rod is smaller and line is bigger, but it can break things if you run out of line or use a wrong reel setup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal OldGamer said:

1. So we agree that player has no total control over his own rod and those hard and unwanted pulls are caused by software which is absolutely unacceptable especially  in the game where gear is very expensive.

2. If I'm getting 0.1% per 3 real time days on average, then i need around 375 real time days to get 85%. 

1. No Sal, the character is reacting to handle the fish's sudden pulls. He is applying the counter pressure needed to maintain the fish fight and also reacting to having tension in his arms. If you are holding a broomstick with both hands in an effort to maintain it at a certain height,  and i jerk down on the  end of it, the leverage will make your arms jerk down. When my pressure comes off of it your arms will bounce back up due to the muscular tension. Your arms are not made of carbon steel, and your character is not Superman, pressure from a strong fish will result in arm movement to compensate.

2. If you are fishing 3 real life days and not getting results then you are not seeking sufficient variation in your methods, species, and location. The simple fact is that doing the same things over and over are eventually going to stop giving you %. 

9 hours ago, Sal OldGamer said:
Spoiler

1. I spent around 40 years on rivers and lakes here in my area and i've got some really nice results without being superman in real. So i'm trying to apply my real life experience here in game. Dunno about you but I never try to catch fishes with a broomstick in real life nor here in game. Here I'm using very expensive and very breakable rods  so i think that player need to have total control over his own rod. For example S-Eagle Bolognese SB15 does not have jumping effect

2. I was catching: Lake trout, Seven trout, Char, common carp, grass carp, tench, bream.. some perches as well.. So i believe that was good enough of different species.. However.. their game - their rules. So it is what it is.

Btw. I see you are admin here. So you are supposed to keep this forum in order and give some nice advices to the players. Being sarcastic does not help to the game. After all, you are here because, in my opinion, lot of us (players) supported this game with a nice amount of money

Firstly Sal I was not trying to be sarcastic and I am sorry you took it that way. My Superman comment was only meant to point out that the game character is human and is thus subject to the laws of the universe in which he exists.As of now it is an  imperfect model of the real universe that must do its best with what it has at the 30% complete mark.  

As you said only certain rods of yours have this behavior. You are running mono on the rod that does not behave this way, it also has a different stiffness factor than the other two rods. Both the rods that you are running braid on  have a higher stiffness rating , thus with braid on them both they act the same. Secondly  your comment "Btw. I see you are admin here. So you are supposed ...." seems to be an attempt to make this personal. While we are acquainted outside this forum that does not mean that I am approaching you any differently here than I respond to anyone else. Do not assume you are at liberty to get salty with me or anyone else here, player or admin.

19 minutes ago, Jvan said:

I have an issue with the mixture of metric and imperial units when setting up a rod.  I just snapped my almost brand new syberia model one t700 float rod rated at 11.5 kg.  I put 25lb mono on it since 25lb is less than 11.5 by a little (25.35316 lbs).  I knew i was playing it close so i kept an eye on the rod wear and repaired yesterday and current wear was at 0.7 percent and line wear was 0.3 percent.  The line should have broke first, and it has on 2 other occasions until this grass carp mauled me.

So im out 1000 silver and got to use rod for 3 days :(

After looking closer at the line it is rated exactly at 11.5kg, but 25lb is not 11.5 kg..

If you can look here: 

this should help you out 

34 minutes ago, Jvan said:

So what is it? 10 or 20%...  would 19% break your rod in certain circumstances where 20% percent wouldnt?   Is 10% enough? What about 19.9%?  Silly.

I have never heard of this, never on any videos (and ive watched quite a few of your videos Kache, plus kp shaminos, lady of games, and others) or such everyone says let line be weakest link and it was, not by much but weaker.

I like this game, but it's too arbitrary and way too expensive, and too much grind to learn from costly mistakes like this. 

Jvan, 20% is the best case for safety factor, while as little as 13% will reduce the odds of the rod reaching max load capacity before the line does.  Sorry to say that no I have not put this in any of my current videos yet. Cane rods do not have the ability to let off stress the way that a rod with a reel does. When the line weight is close to the rod's max capacity the rod will reach max capacity first because it is the final means of tension adaptation. While the mistake was indeed costly the game is not arbitrary, as a matter of fact it has hard fast rules to its physics model. I am sorry for your loss, I have been there and  it is why I know about needing to keep the line weight down, because I lost a good rod to the same situation.

16 minutes ago, insixdays said:

Hi everyone.

When fishing with a Bolognese rod in hand, how do I set the hook when a fish takes the bait? One person said to hit the rmb but when I do that the reel squeals and spills out line instead of hooking the fish. Like when you hit the rmb trying to get off a snag. This to me does not look right. Can someone please describe how to fish with a bolo rod?

Thanks.

insixdays, It sounds like you friction brake is set to low when you are trying to set the hook try increasing your break. 

9 hours ago, insixdays said:

Hi everyone.

When fishing with a Bolognese rod in hand, how do I set the hook when a fish takes the bait? One person said to hit the rmb but when I do that the reel squeals and spills out line instead of hooking the fish. Like when you hit the rmb trying to get off a snag. This to me does not look right. Can someone please describe how to fish with a bolo rod?

Thanks.

Here you can read how to fish with a bolognese rod.

33 minutes ago, gunkevie said:

so i unlocked the hair rig for float fishing but i have no idea how to get it though anyone can help ?

Hey gunkevie,

it is used automatically with boilie type baits.

3 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Hi I would love some clarification about float fishing skill three.

Do "Using a slider rig" bonuses apply to waggler floaters? Because wagglers are sliders too. It's important to me to understand this, because at my level (almost 23) it has become crucial to invest skill points into the right skills, as leveling up becomes slower and slower. 

Thank you.

While wagglers are a sliding rig, they are not the same as a sliding float rig (a float that is free moving that stops due to a split shot sinker on the line). They are two very different techniques and are considered separate skills. The wagger has more to do with the distance a light bait can be cast and worked, a sliding float is more about depth.

10 hours ago, Siegfried67 said:

Wait wait wait... i have exactly same probleme to set the hook with bolo, brake just screams, even with break at 29, and yes, the bail is closed. So the river technique is the only way to correctly use a bolognese setup? That means float fishing has to be leveled up to 60 with telescopic if i don't like fishing in rivers?  Hell no, i won't take a telescopic to lvl 60, absolutely no way. Neither could i spend 2 weeks irl on winding rivulet. There has to be another way or a fix.

Hello Siegfried67

Currently a bolo rod is my setup of choice for catching tench, common, grass and black carp at Old Burg. 

I had some problems initially to learn how to set the hook but now after reading Kache suggestions I can do it quite confidently.

What I do to fish in still wather with the bolo is:

1) cast the float out long and than reel in to position it were I want

2) open the bail and then put the rod down

3) as soon as a fish start to bite, grab the rod, close the bail, set the drag around 18-20 depending on how strong the fish bites (be carefull here to set the drag according to your setup), start to reel in some line in excess while lowering the rod and waiting the fish to grab the bait.

4) when I am confident that the fish had got the bait I set the hook by moving the rod (up, left or right, using the mouse movement) in the opposite direction taken by the float... be gentle, don't over do it! :). A split second after I rise the rod with the right mouse button and start to reel in. Than I adjust the reel drag.

If I do this with the right timing the fish is on and the battle starts! After some practice I had quite a lot of fun and satisfactions with the bolo at Old Burg!

I hope it will help you.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DMasterCerberus said:

So I was wondering do the points travel over from Bolognse rods to Match rods before i spend the points in them?

Hello DMasterCerberus,

Skill points on Bolognese rods do not transfer to Match rods.

21 hours ago, CrystalNoir said:

Hi everyone,I would need some help about the base stuff. I am level 6 and there is something I don't understand.

Spoiler

I have the base rod (telescopic) with the base float. We start with a size 16 hook. That's ok. But sometimes I have a fish that seems to be bigger than usual, and it's impossible de get it out without breaking the line. The tension is too high and, because these rods don't have reels, it's sometimes difficult to fight the fish. Is there a tip or something I can do to avoid breaking the line when this arrives ?

Also, yesterday I broke the line. I went to the shop to buy an other size 16 hook. But it has been out of stock for the all evening. The only option I had , was to buy a size 12 hook. But with this size of hook we have more chance to catch bigger fish isn't it ? (and break the line...). I broke it 3 times because the fish was too big (high tension). The problem is that I was not be able to buy a smaller hook in an other lake because I am only level 6 and I can go to the very first lake.

Some advices will be appreciated, thank you !

PS : English is not my first language so, please apologize...

Hi CrystalNoir.

You can always get free replacement tackle at thye Cottage (Tutorial) lake from the building there (Walk up to the door & press E) so you do not really have to spend any silver in the beginning stages of your game. You also receive worm as bait. As you progress it is advisable to purchase a landing net (From Mosquito lake, at the trailer with spraypaint on it) Jusdt in case you didn't know, you can press ESC & then click the picture of the lake to travel to any other lake you have unlocked. Mosquito lake & the tutorial lake are free to travel to but other lakes in the later game levels do cost to travel there.

13 minutes ago, CrystalNoir said:

Thank you, I already have a landing net but it seems that I can't use it because the line breaks before the fish is "near the coast"...I already own the bamboo rod etc... but it's more weak than we have after the tutorial. What is exactly the difference between a 16 hook and 12 hook ? I know that the size 12 hook is bigger but how much bigger ? do you think it's too big for the standard rod that we have at the start of the game ?

Sorry if my questions seem to be idiot but, I'm a beginner on the game, and on this sport :) Thank you !

ALL fishing equipment in-game is based on fishing tackle in the real world & hook sizes go Higher the number, smaller the smaller the hook size as in real life, the exception being 1/0, 2/0 etc. a quick google search will help you find the exact measurement for hook sizes & explain the uses of such hooks for which bait/fish size etc. 

The user guide is also a very good place to start too: http://rf4game.com/userguide/

24 minutes ago, CrystalNoir said:

Hi there,

Yes it's my problem. How to know witch bait I can put on a type of hook ? I don't find in the game any information about that. I mean, witch bait for witch size of hook ? I try to make some tests but nothing tells me if it's right or wrong. Is there a way to know witch baits using depending the hook ?

Thank you

Hey CrystalNoir,

this all comes down to the "size" of your bait. For big baits, like filet, you want to use bigger hooks like 2/0. For smaller baits like maggots it's around hook size 10 and smaller and for medium sized baits like corn its typically around size 6. But depending on what type of species you are trying to target these sizes may vary.

3 minutes ago, CrystalNoir said:

I understand, but for a beginner, what is a medium bait ? leaf for example is considered to be a small or medium ? I tried to google search for IRL things but it's not effective because they always talk about for example 2 maggots on 12 hook etc... we can't do that in the game, so it's a little confusing. Fishing is totaly new for me. I love the game, but the lack of info in the game make it hard to play.

Leaf i would consider as a medium bait ingame but you can also use it as a small bait with a smaller hook to target other species. You can even put small baits like maggot or roe on a s2 hook and catch something with it, but it will be a different species or a different sized fish that if you would use a s10 hook. Fishing is much experience and experiments what type of hook to use for what is hard to tell since this comes all down to where are you fishing what species do you target and much more. Its not like you have to use a s10 hook with maggots else you won't catch anything, this is completely not the case. I myself caught a trophy carp on a size 2 hook with maggots but that doesn't mean its the best for it. Hope this helps you a bit out ;) . Tight Lines!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sirfishalot said:

Suddenly and for no apparent reason my inventory thinks I am equipping a bottom rod when I am trying to change floats on my telescopic and bolo rod I have had no problem until about 30 mins ago when I try to change floats on my rods I get an error message telling me I cannot equip this float without sinkers in my backpack??? here is the screenshot. Is there a reason for this suddenly happening?

https://imgur.com/jn4UPhd

Greetings
This isn't a bug. You've ran out of mini sinkers and need to purchase a new box from the store. 

Ps. Moved to correct topic. 

On 13-12-2017 at 3:25 PM, hawker764 said:

I am having issues with the bolognese set up,

Spoiler

first off I purchased a beefy 6Kg setup, with a 7m rod.  The issue i am having is landing fish with the 7m rod is almost comical if it weren't so sad.  Due to the fact that for some reason you can not real in fish all the way, I had a small carp on the line, but when I lift it out of the water it just dangles above my head and never lands, so i open the bail to let line out, and try to net it but because the rod is so long i need to keep the rod tip up for pressure, it was just comic at that point as i blindly try to land this fish, of course eventually i have to look down to see what is going on and the fish gets off due to low tension.  Look if you have a 6kg set up with a 500g fish on, there should be no need to use a net and you should be able to land the fish just by realing in, not having to find some magic sweet spot where the game recognizes that you've landed it.  just my 2 cents...

Also, for some reason i am unable to cast this rig straight,  every cast goes almost straight to the right (kind of like my golf shots), I usually have to turn 45 degrees to cast it.  at first i thought maybe the float was too light, so i purchased a 5g float, same issue.

The bolognese rod is a specialized rod, that requires a different technique than any other rods. When you reel in the final meters, the line will actually be shorter than the length of the rod. That is what causes you to be unable to land the fish in the net, because the fish is more towards your face than towards the ground. To counter this, either swing the fish into your face, or prior to lifting up the rod, take out the landing net and move the fish towards it by not lifting up the rod all the way.

As for not casting straight, this does get better after you've put all skillpoints into the bolognese rod and the reel. There are other factors for the rod not to cast straight, like wind, too heavy end tackle etc, you pointing the rod downwards instead of pointing towards the sky when you cast out, etc. But to give you the exact reason, we would need print screens of your setup, of your skilltree and one of the place where you are currently fishing. 

On 21-12-2017 at 3:42 AM, IWCtiger said:

Hello, 

I think this might be more of an enhancement request, with the basic telescopic rod I pulled this little guy out but it did not register as a catch. Sometimes if you pull the fish out at an angle from the player the line wraps around behind you (all good, done this a few times in real life). Normally if you take a few steps back you will run into the line and catch the fish. While doing the fish finding dance it got off the hook and started flopping around on the bank. The in game message was that I lost the fish because it came off the hook but I had landed the fish, just could not pick it up. Is it possible to implement being able to "catch" fish that got off the hook but are still on shore before it flops back in? (Don't worry the little guy made it back to the water)

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171219_175307.png

Greetings,
This isn't a bug. When you're in the process of landing the fish, it can still get off the hook, even though you've already lifted it out of the water. That is what happened in your case. To prevent it from happening, using a landing net helps. As for your suggestion, we will take it into consideration.

Ps, moved to correct topic.

57 minutes ago, keean said:

Could I ask a question I’ve just unlocked the bolognese rod and I’m useing it but my reel will only wind in a bit wen I have a fish on I’m having to drag it on to the bank am I doing something wrong r is it some sort of a bug thanks kee any help would be much appreciated 

Are you clicking the right mouse button, in the end, to pull it in? I mean for me it is normal that I have to drag the fish on a little at the end to land them as they are to heavy, is it big fish you are talking about? i.e. 2.5kg or above or so?

2 hours ago, keean said:

No dude only roach lol I am clicking the right mouse button but my fish is swinging all over I don’t think it’s a very good mechanic in the game but I surprise I’ll av to get used to it cheers fo getting back to me 

And @fanta2234 we moved your conversation to the correct topic.

1 hour ago, MarshallMaz said:

@fanta2234 , this is the setup as I used now last. But it happens on all sizes hooks ( 16 to 12 ) and all baits I used so far ( worms , bloodworms , maggots , bread ).
And it happens on both poles. This is the 9/10 fish lost on floating discussion that @LadyofGames asked me to move here.
I wait until the fish has taken the bobber completely below the water before striking , but nothing. Very very rarely actually get a fish.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.9219_20180101_153825.png

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.9219_20180101_153837.png

Hi Marshall, 

the only thing i can literally think of is the quality of the basic hooks, which i have had issues with in the past. Setup no 1 will be difficult with the feather float as well as its way to light. 

My suggestion is getting better quality hooks and a better float for your bamboo rod or better even saving up and getting a better quality rod. I would also personally suggest not going for hooks smaller than size 12 unless you're targeting very small fish (i.e. Chinese sleepers, ruffes or similar). 

Some fish will always be overly cautious but this should at least help reduce the loss rate drastically. 

4 minutes ago, fanta2234 said:

Hi Marshall, 

the only thing i can literally think of is the quality of the basic hooks, which i have had issues with in the past. Setup no 1 will be difficult with the feather float as well as its way to light. 

My suggestion is getting better quality hooks and a better float for your bamboo rod or better even saving up and getting a better quality rod. I would also personally suggest not going for hooks smaller than size 12 unless you're targeting very small fish (i.e. Chinese sleepers, ruffes or similar). 

Some fish will always be overly cautious but this should at least help reduce the loss rate drastically. 

Adding to that, have you put any of the skill points into the skill tree? That can help a lot as well. If you have, can you please provide a printscreen of that as well?

@fanta2234 Actually the bamboo with the feather float does the best of the two. I catch the most fish on that feather float.
The other better rod with bigger float has the most misses.

When I use 12 hooks I get fish that snaps my line. Even on that 3.9kg line. With everything so expensive 3.9kg is the best line I can afford right now. As that is the strongest the telescopic can handle. Even after 10+ hours I can't even buy a better telescopic.
I tried 12 hooks 3 times. And lost my bobber and hook 3 times. Then the very little profit have to go into replacement bobbers.
 So I am forced to stick to 14 and 16's until I can eventually afford a better telescopic that can handle 6kg line at least. ( I don't know the size of the fish snapping my line )
I don't understand how a small 12 hook can catch something that breaks 3.9kg line. Oh well. I hate the float fishing in this game. I would rather move on to feeder or spinning.
But neither of that is an option either as that is also too expensive. Hence my frustration and venting. One is forced to struggle and grind.
One can't choose which type of fishing you want to do and prefer.

Currently I will have to grind for a better telescopic that can handle stronger line. Then will use only 12 and 10 hooks and see if that improves.
Will also have a look at the price of better hooks and IF it is affordable or not.

But mainly I want to go to feeder ( bottom ) fishing. But don't even know yet what I need for that ( what rod specifically , the rods are very confusing ) , and what it will cost to start with feeder.
Haven't found a guide on feeder fishing for this game yet.

1 hour ago, MarshallMaz said:

@LadyofGames I only spent 3 points in that tree. I am saving skill points as I want to move on to feeder and spinning mainly when I can afford it. Don't want to be without any skill points once I arrive there. If I spent all my points into floating now won't I be stuck later on with no points to spend and feeder and spinning ? One only get 1 point per main character level up yes ? Or don't I understand that correctly ?

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.9219_20180101_161912.png

Greetings @MarshallMaz

I understand your frustration. To answer your question first: from level 1 to 19 you receive 1 skillpoint per level. From level 20 to 29 you get 2 points per level. And from level 30 you get 3 points per level.

I would suggest you do put at least 2 of your remaining points into fishing with a float rod. It gives you better control over the fish and it will prevent it more from spitting the hook or break your line.

I would advice against using bigger hooks. It will attract bigger fish and those will increase the risk of taking your line and damaging your gear.

Float fishing is the most easiest way to start fishing. I agree that it does come with a down side: you have lesser control over the big fish because your line is short and you can't give it any room to let it ture out, in contrast to fishing with a reel where you can give the fish some line to run, then reel it in.

As for feeder fishing: you need a feeder rod, a reel, a sinker that matches it's weight to the test of the rod, some line and a hook. The starter setup (Sorento FD100, cheapest reel, pear sinker and mono line plus hook) costs roughly 65 silver in total.

Finally, this a game is set as followed: you start out as someone who has never caught a fish. At the start you will struggle, loose fish and not earn a lot. As you progress you will become better and finally you'll become pro. See it as the journey from going to the local pond where your granddad gave you a stick with some line. You learned the basics through trial and error. Thirty years later you compete against semi pro's in national tournaments. And another 25 years later you're the new Jeremy Wade going after those insane river monsters. 

I know you are currently struggling and that that might put you off. I like to advice you to keep going on. It will get better. For now I suggest to use the CHK101 hooks, they are a bit better. Stick with sizes #24 to #12. Use 2 more skillpoints into float fishing rod, and put the others into the bottom fishing rod and the bottom fishing reel. Before you start your fishing session, go to the cafe and check the orders. If it says perch, put bloodworms or regular worms on your hook and fish medium depth. If it says roach/crucian/gibel than put maggots or bread on and fish closer to the bottom. After the end of your session, go back to the cafe first, complete orders that you can complete, than sell the remaining fish at the fish market.

If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask in the chat, ask here on the forums or watch a few YouTube videos or streams. There are plenty of people that want to help you out. 

Good luck!