Crucian

Float Fishing Q&A

52 minutes ago, MarshallMaz said:

@LadyofGames , @fanta2234 , Ok I had another session. None of the suggestions worked.
What I did:

- Added 2 points into the "fishing with fixed line" section under float fishing to max it out.
- Bought better quality hooks. The red ones. Ridiculously expensive as everything in the game , so only bought 2. ( size 12 and 14 )
- Fished with the 12 on one pole ( telescopic ) and the 14 on the other ( Bamboo ) , both still on 3.9kg line.
- Put bigger float on bamboo

Spoiler

None of that changed anything. Fish after fish lost even after taking the bobber below the water. ( Now with the bigger float the bamboo also sucks )
Eventually , the 2nd fish I did catch , snapped the line ( 12 hook ).  Expensive hook and more money bye-bye. This sucks.
To make things even worse , the fish that snapped the line I had out of the water onto the ground , plus I had my landing net in hand. The landing net simply did nothing.
The fish jumped around on land until it snapped my line with landing net in hand. Woopie. ( It was a common carp btw )

To make things even more worse , I don't even get any xp for float fishing anymore. I have grinded so many of the same little fish by now that no matter what I catch yields no
xp for floating. IE I won't even be able to unlock other things even if I do have the money for it one day. Yet another poorly designed mechanic.
As I understand from the little I saw on feeder/match fishing , you need to get past 30% on float fishing to unlock it. So how must one do that now ? I catch every pan fish species
that the poor gear allows me to catch but I gain nothing. Move to different spots , change baits , and do catch different species. But none of them count anymore. 

So very frustrated and no progress being made.

I am really struggling to see why you are getting so many snapped lines and lost fish, really do not see any reason for that. Just to confirm, you are fishing on the mosquito lake, aren't you? You do stop getting as many percentages on a category as you move further up. 

Maybe Lady can clear this up a bit more as I am sure when I was your level I already had 2 sorento feeder rods and reels and the telescopic going getting about 30 fish a day.

52 minutes ago, MarshallMaz said:

@LadyofGames , @fanta2234 , Ok I had another session. None of the suggestions worked.
What I did:

- Added 2 points into the "fishing with fixed line" section under float fishing to max it out.
- Bought better quality hooks. The red ones. Ridiculously expensive as everything in the game , so only bought 2. ( size 12 and 14 )
- Fished with the 12 on one pole ( telescopic ) and the 14 on the other ( Bamboo ) , both still on 3.9kg line.
- Put bigger float on bamboo

Spoiler

None of that changed anything. Fish after fish lost even after taking the bobber below the water. ( Now with the bigger float the bamboo also sucks )
Eventually , the 2nd fish I did catch , snapped the line ( 12 hook ).  Expensive hook and more money bye-bye. This sucks.
To make things even worse , the fish that snapped the line I had out of the water onto the ground , plus I had my landing net in hand. The landing net simply did nothing.
The fish jumped around on land until it snapped my line with landing net in hand. Woopie. ( It was a common carp btw )

To make things even more worse , I don't even get any xp for float fishing anymore. I have grinded so many of the same little fish by now that no matter what I catch yields no
xp for floating. IE I won't even be able to unlock other things even if I do have the money for it one day. Yet another poorly designed mechanic.
As I understand from the little I saw on feeder/match fishing , you need to get past 30% on float fishing to unlock it. So how must one do that now ? I catch every pan fish species
that the poor gear allows me to catch but I gain nothing. Move to different spots , change baits , and do catch different species. But none of them count anymore. 

So very frustrated and no progress being made.

Greetings @MarshallMaz

I adviced you to put 2 points into the float rod tree, not into the line rig. If you look at the skill tree to the right, you can read there what happens if you put a point into the selected tree. The float rod states it will give you more control over the fish. 

Putting a hook #12 on a bamboo isn't wise, in particular if you put something like potatoes or corn on it. It attracts bigger fish, like that common carp. Your bamboo - or telestick for that matter - can't handle such fish. For common carp you either need a very strong fixed float - not available at your level yet - or a rod with a reel. 

Try smaller hooks (#20, #18, #16) with maggots, regular worm, bread, bloodworm or casters. You could opt for targeting bleak or bream instead. Bleak normally dwells in the top water region, whereas bream are more bottom feeders. They will give you more increased skill percentage.

2 hours ago, MarshallMaz said:
Spoiler

@fanta2234 , Mosquito lake yes. 
Well equipment must have cost a lot less then when you were my level. I simply can't afford it. I basically are sitting at the same 50 ish silver that one start with.
And I didn't spend much. I learned long ago to be very wise with spending with these pay to play games. I literally only bought 1 landing net , a few 14 and 12 hooks , 4 bread to craft for
bait , and replaced about 5 bobbers that was lost with snapped lines. That's it , I don't even have a shovel yet as it simply is ridiculously priced. It took me a whole day ( real time ) just to pay for the landing net. I don't even have coffee , wine or food yet. I only use the field cart too eat.

@LadyofGames, the only thing in that skill tree that is not maxed is the one on the left ( "floating with a telescopic rod" , that I already have 2 points in ) that just say it increases casting distance and accuracy. Is that the one you are referring to ? I didn't put more points there as I don't have trouble with distance or accuracy at this stage.

Any idea why the landing net failed to work ?

I'll stick to to the 16 hooks for now then and just keep grinding the small fish :(
If I at least didn't get miss strike after miss strike things might be better , but miss strike after miss strike while having to grind is no fun at all.

Yes, that is the one I am referring to. After casting distance and accuracy it reads "control of fish X%" It is that part that is vital and will allow you to better hook the fish and have more control over them. See screen below.

Spoiler

5a4a624865a7a_telescopicrod.png.615f5b8938e82b234b8f9efb7e42c374.png

1 hour ago, MarshallMaz said:

I saw that last part when I went in game now there again. Didn't see it before. And put 3 points in there. Is at 5 now I think.

I had another go. This time it went much better and I can honestly say the first session I enjoyed since the start.

Spoiler

What I did:

- Added 3 points into that first part of float fishing that @LadyofGames pointed out
- Bought a 16 and a 14 CHK101 hook ( as the previous one was lost )
- Used 16 on bamboo , 14 on Telescopic. Didn't use any bigger , stayed with those 2.

Had same issue. Bobber will go under , strike , nothing. Few times I even left the bobber under the water for as much as 4 seconds before I strike. Same result.
I then did :

- Changed striking method. I decided to try something different. I ignored what the bobber does and actually watched the line. When bobber goes under I watch the line , if slack stays the same I wait. If line goes stiff and slack goes out I strike. Huge improvement. Got a hit ratio up to at least 7/10. Started to have fun.
I sticked to this "watch the line slack" method for the rest of session and had very good results. Got 32 fish faster than I ever did. Couldn't get any cafe orders done though. Fish was wrong sizes. But did get some xp into floating again and it's up to 25%. Unlocked using hair rig in skill tree. Have no idea what a hair rig is. But that was a fun session finally and a little progress made. Almost snapped a line again. Hooked a 1.8kg chub and again the landing net didn't do it's job. Fortunately managed to land it without snapping the line.
What's up with the landing net though ? That twice now.

So something in all of that I tried in the last session worked. Just couldn't get a bream to get some different species. Will have to search where they hang out.

Thanx for all the tips. I'll stick to this setup and way of hooking and will ask for help on feeder once my float is at 30%

I'm glad to hear it worked out this time. 

The Hair Rig allows you to use boilies. It's a little piece of extra line with a stopper that allows you to put boilies on. It will do so automatically in game, so you don't need to do anything to use the boilies. For now though, I wouldn't recommend using them, as boilies attract the bigger carp species and your gear can't handle them yet. 

The landing net can be a bit of a pain at first. What helped me was letting the landing net go out before I will lift the fish out of the water. Then, with a few small mouse movement, I can 'steer' the fish into the net, before it goes flapping into the air, turning circles around me. If it's already in the air and circling around you, then I would either lower the rod again, or look way high up in the sky.

Good luck on your fish adventures!

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, LadyofGames said:

I'm glad to hear it worked out this time. 

The Hair Rig allows you to use boilies. It's a little piece of extra line with a stopper that allows you to put boilies on. It will do so automatically in game, so you don't need to do anything to use the boilies. For now though, I wouldn't recommend using them, as boilies attract the bigger carp species and your gear can't handle them yet. 

The landing net can be a bit of a pain at first. What helped me was letting the landing net go out before I will lift the fish out of the water. Then, with a few small mouse movement, I can 'steer' the fish into the net, before it goes flapping into the air, turning circles around me. If it's already in the air and circling around you, then I would either lower the rod again, or look way high up in the sky.

Good luck on your fish adventures!

Ah ok boilies I know well , carp fishing is what I do IRL. But not on a float , ledger bottom fishing like one should. ( hence my dislike in floating )

Edited by MarshallMaz

8 minutes ago, JunkyJuke said:

Help me improve match fishing over deep pits please. I have a problem at Kuori. I'm trying to fish in the cursed island pit on my Fortuna Match rod. Big XP when I can catch char, but I'm losing so many strikes that it's becoming frustrating. What happens: when the fish grabs the bait and sinks the float I give it the strike and then I start reeling in, when suddenly ZZZZIP! the tension bar goes up for a moment and the reel makes that zip sound. Fish is lost. What can be the cause? reeling speed too fast or too low? Drag set too high or too low? Wrong angle of the rod? I can't get it. I'm going crazy!

JunkyJuke, can you please post a screenshot of your Float skill tree and a shot of the rig that you are using.

9 minutes ago, JunkyJuke said:

of course I can. Here they are:

Reveal hidden contents

fortuna feeder.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

skill.jpg

ok from what i can see here it looks like the hook that you are using is to large for the fish you are targeting with that bait. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Thanks you for the fast assistance! I'll try with smaller hooks right now :)

your reel is rated for 6kg line  and you are using 12.8kg line that is why you are red zoning keep using line x2 reel capacity you will eventually break the reel. Also mayfly larvae is really suited to nothing larger than a size 10 hook. What is the max Kg  on the rod?  . Rule of thumb Rod any kg you like it's the shock absorber Reel must be less than the rod kg or exactly the same. Never higher. Line must be less than reel kg . so for example your match rod is 17kg reel is 6kg line is 12.8kg So any fish you get of a large size of 6kg and over is now directly damaging the reel if you had 17kg rod 6kg reel and 5.5kg line. everything is in harmony with the weakest part of the link the line as it should be. Did you accidently buy the wrong reel? easy mistake one is 6kg the other is 14kg . Don't go thinking because it shows on the reel specs on the tackle store 6-14kg that the reel is rated anywhere from 6-14kg because it is not it is 2 different reels. That sales picture is just quoting the range from entry level to the top end level :)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Help me improve match fishing over deep pits please. I have a problem at Kuori. I'm trying to fish in the cursed island pit on my Fortuna Match rod. Big XP when I can catch char, but I'm losing so many strikes that it's becoming frustrating. What happens: when the fish grabs the bait and sinks the float I give it the strike and then I start reeling in, when suddenly ZZZZIP! the tension bar goes up for a moment and the reel makes that zip sound. Fish is lost. What can be the cause? reeling speed too fast or too low? Drag set too high or too low? Wrong angle of the rod? I can't get it. I'm going crazy!

@JunkyJuke , @jhendrix61978 , the same thing regularly happens to me on feeder rods with small hooks at Mosquito. Happened all the time last night. Fish runs with bait , when I pick up the rod I get that same zip sounds as if the line got stuck on the rod pod or something and fish is gone. Only thing that helps is I have to then move a bit to right or left before my next cast. If I stay in same place then it happens on every run I get. If a move a meter left or right before next cast then I can catch a few fish again , but inevitably it starts happening again after 3 or 4 fish. And this is on small 14 and 12 hooks. Doubt it's a too big hook size problem.

Edited by MarshallMaz

7 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Update:I tested #10, 11, 14,18 and 20 hooks. The issue is still there. I bought some high quality hooks but it did not solve the problem. The problem happens on a very wide range of hooks:

Spoiler

Syberia CHK501 S14

Syberia CHK501 S10

Berserk Hooks Rage Series S1 S14

Happy hook CL-12 S11

Syberia CHK101 S10

Syberia CHK101 S20

Simmons silk series CL-14 S1

Simmons Silk series CL-15 S 2/0

I'm also thinking about braid line behaviour. Maybe the line is too stiff and when I reel in there is a moment the hook will unset because of too much tension. I'll make some test with mono line. Also I will test different drag settings. 

Target fish is Char but Vendace are there as disturbance fish, so  I can't be shure what fish is causing this problem. I have maxed  skills and very expensive fishing equipment and it should not happen. Check it out by yourselves devs. Eventually. 

I will try to record some videos to show what's happening.

Not a braid issue either. I don't use braid. This looks like a physics problem in a specific set of circumstances and not only while floating either.

Spoiler

15 hours ago, sirfishalot said:

your reel is rated for 6kg line  and you are using 12.8kg line that is why you are red zoning keep using line x2 reel capacity you will eventually break the reel.

Spoiler

Also mayfly larvae is really suited to nothing larger than a size 10 hook. What is the max Kg  on the rod?  . Rule of thumb Rod any kg you like it's the shock absorber Reel must be less than the rod kg or exactly the same. Never higher. Line must be less than reel kg . so for example your match rod is 17kg reel is 6kg line is 12.8kg So any fish you get of a large size of 6kg and over is now directly damaging the reel if you had 17kg rod 6kg reel and 5.5kg line. everything is in harmony with the weakest part of the link the line as it should be. Did you accidently buy the wrong reel? easy mistake one is 6kg the other is 14kg . Don't go thinking because it shows on the reel specs on the tackle store 6-14kg that the reel is rated anywhere from 6-14kg because it is not it is 2 different reels. That sales picture is just quoting the range from entry level to the top end level :) 

Please read better the numbers, I'm using a 8kg rated Syberia Gold 30s reel on a 12,8kg line on a 13,5kg rod. The line will keep being the weakest part until the reel will reach 20% damage, something that will never happen because I constantly keep my stuff in almost perfect conditions. Thank you for taking care btw... I like to live on the edge B|

So I tested dragonflies on a wide set of hooks down to #20 since I was suggested to try lower size of the hooks and still I'm losing fish during the post strike/reel in phase from time to time.

I was able to grab a couple of videos showing my problem here at Kuori. I put them together. Here it is. You can notice the tension bar blinking for a moment then no more fish. It is extremely annoyng as it prevents float  fishing in a profitable way (I have a bonus rod, I want to use that).Here it is the short clip:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Djindaar said:

@JunkyJuke 
I have periods with my match rod when setting the hook can be a pita. 

Spoiler

Soon as my float goes under I reel (taking in the slack) and at the same time manualy raise the rod. The fish then sort of sets the hook himself as he pulls against the pressure of me lifting the rod. Only once he is set and the green line expands to show he is on do I reel him in and RMB the rod. I have found there is a fine line where it is easy to lose him at the set hook point and this method gets me very good hook set %.

Most fails happen when I forget and hit RMB (When using my Match rod) on him taking the bait. (old habit from Boloing a lot where I reel in and RMB to set the hook and Pole where I just RMB to set it.).

You may already do this, hard to tell in the short vid, but if not, it may help.

Djinn

Good advice I'll give it a try, fingers crossed. And no, I strike with RMB to set the hook (that should be the rule uh?) then start reeling in and praying the God the fish will not unhook as you se in my video. 

1 hour ago, JunkyJuke said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Please read better the numbers, I'm using a 8kg rated Syberia Gold 30s reel on a 12,8kg line on a 13,5kg rod. The line will keep being the weakest part until the reel will reach 20% damage, something that will never happen because I constantly keep my stuff in almost perfect conditions. Thank you for taking care btw... I like to live on the edge B|

So I tested dragonflies on a wide set of hooks down to #20 since I was suggested to try lower size of the hooks and still I'm losing fish during the post strike/reel in phase from time to time.

I was able to grab a couple of videos showing my problem here at Kuori. I put them together. Here it is. You can notice the tension bar blinking for a moment then no more fish. It is extremely annoyng as it prevents float  fishing in a profitable way (I have a bonus rod, I want to use that).Here it is the short clip:

Hide contents

Greetings JunkyJuke
From what I can see in the video the hook was actually not set, so you didn't have a fish on as you reeled in. You had a quick peak on the stress bar mid video, which more likely was something on the bottom (rock, plants) that took your hook for a moment before release. But no fish. This too gets proven when you've fully reeled in, you've not lost bait. 

A few pointers for you: I notice there is quite some slack on the line and you've your rod aimed straight at the fish. If the fish takes the bait and swims upwards, even as you strike, you have a hard time setting the hook. Better is to make sure there is no slack on the line and have your rod angled sideways. That way, even when the fish swims upward, you can still set the hook instead of pulling it straight out of its mouth.

I hope this helps you out a bit!

• Thanks 1

Just need to add, I use a slow and steady manual lift up and away from the direction the fish takes the bait Literaly inches not feet in the lift, nice and slow and steady, generaly that's enough to set it. Too fast it will pop the hook, just lost one 5 min ago due to lifting too fast, and yup, it blipped as you showed in the vid.

Thank you Lady, maybe I'm constantly hitting the same rock on the bottom of the pit, thinking it was a fish :ph34r:. I'll try to strike diagonally as you suggest and always have no slack. Let's see if I can improve my virtual skills (damn I always diagonal strike when I fly fish IRL...:$)

Thank you all of you folks. Will do my best. 

On 04/01/2018 at 7:47 PM, JunkyJuke said:

Good advice I'll give it a try, fingers crossed. And no, I strike with RMB to set the hook (that should be the rule uh?) then start reeling in and praying the God the fish will not unhook as you se in my video. 

I never use RMB only for lifting the fish from the water. Never on a strike its way too violent and doesn't work every well. It works as well as it does to try and use it for lift and drop lol :)

I side strike and LMB don't have any probs . A few missed bites but that's normal. It isn't set like bottom fishing where you are pretty much self hooked . Only problem I have with match rod is @ 4.2m why can you only set fixed depth @ 2.8m . You should be able to use full depth same as rod length. Unless it's a code thing ?

2 hours ago, Fishnatic said:

I'm level 8 now, working on hooking fish and slowly improving my success rate of hooking fish. I get to play an hour here and an hour there, having fun learning but I'm so ready to move on to more advanced equipment. Given the price of the gear and the payout of the fish I'm catching now just now looked into spending some real money. I'm happy to do that- $27 (U.S.) seems like an appropriate amount for how much I play but that only gets me 20 gold coins. I just priced a setup (modest quality-- Syberia Linear rod/Lacerti reel) and it's about 450 gold coins, or about 700 real dollars so instead of paying money to the developers, who deserve my money (some of it... not all of it lol), I'm stuck. I've read other comments about the high prices- are there any plans to make gear affordable? I want to support the game so maybe I'll just buy some premium time but I would much rather buy the ability to use the gear I like to use in real life. 

And on this topic- it'd be great to see equipment packages for sale for actual money along with the coin packages. 

Thanks!

I think you looked the Silver Coins not the Gold Coins (yellow), and there are some price changes at some maps, Winding Rivulet is the cheapest (i'm there, below is the gold price now), but often out of stock.

Syberia Linear is around 4 Gold depends on model.

Lacerti 4000-S is 1.07 Gold.

• Like 1

Ahhhh- well now that makes a huge difference. Thanks Indy! 

On the subject of successfully hooking fish when float fishing- after reading thru all the tips in this thread I've improved to about 50-50 by making sure there's no slack, striking with the lmb with the rod held to the side in the opposite direction the fish is moving. Still only 50-50 though. I also tried the same technique plus using the rmb after the lmb as soon as there's tension but that doesn't seem to make any difference one way or the other. Any suggestions to improve the technique? 

Try smaller hooks (between 20-10), if the hook is too big and the fish is small you lose more. Better hooks stars (quality) helps too.

And, float fishing is and art :) not always catch a fish....

3 hours ago, Djindaar said:

So far using my slow and steady minimal lift up and away from direction of the fish strike as I reel at same time, I am getting 85-90% hit rate on Gibels, Cruscians, Roach, Tench and Common Carp.

Spoiler

I generaly use size 12 when I fish for those (I do dabble in 10's, 8's and even 2's from time to time but always return to the 12's) and although the quality of the hook does make a small difference, it has been only a small one in my own experience and not always consistant. The more stars on the hook does not affect my fairly decent strike rate that much tbh, but yes there is a minimal difference. Cannot recall names but am currently using the green happy hook and a Blue hook which I cannot recall the name of, both size 12. I found with the blue I was missing more than the cheaper number 12's, so fall back on those.

May be a different story altogether with the larger hooks mind, but I rarely have the need to go larger as yet, as I slowly gather silver for my next step up in gear.

I tend to fish the first three main regions, not tried the later waterways like Bear lake and onwards as yet, as I still am getting a nice and steady catch rate by circleing The old Fort on the outer bank of the lake for example, and still find the Windings give me some decent silver when spinning. I went to Mosquito the other day and spent a couple days there while I repaired my larger reels and rods, and was pulling some nice Carp of over a kilo, largest was 1.9kg if I recall. Not massive fish, but I was getting over 50 fish in one game day, and making decent silver, with very few miss-strikes using the 12's and my method I mentioned.

Thanks for the info Djindaar. May I ask what reel and rod you're using? I'm still just with the blue telescopic and no reel, but I did get some of those happy hooks- 14s, and have just started exploring Windings. It seems much easier to land fish there- the fish don't nibble forever before taking the bait like they often do in Mosquito. I bought some gold too so as soon as I get to level 10 I'll buy a spinning outfit. 

I'm eager to hear the answer because once again I'm going to the tackle shop to replace a bobber that broke off. With the Express Telestick rated at 4.5kg and 3.9kg line fish have broken my line at Mosquito at least a half dozen times. That's with size 14 and 16  Happy hooks. 

I was using a Bolo rod, mostly I now I use a Match rod (it is the Match rod hooking that JJ was having trouble with). Will jump in and write down what I use. Brb.