LadyofGames

Spin Bait Casting Q&A

38 minutes ago, Perverius said:

Perhaps rod is too long for the boat, I do only boat fishing and got this to cast further? I'm running out of ideas and it got to the point where if I know it's not a salmon or catfish I could just save time and open bail to let the fish go.

It feels like if the fish is a trophy and technically too powerful for my setup then I will land it. Whenever it feels like a trophy and just right for the setup then it gets away.

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171127_194436.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171127_194610.png

There could be many factors that let's you lose fish for exampling using a mono line on a spinning rig doesn't allow you to set your hook the correct way. That comes into play when fighting the fish cause a bad hooked fish can escape easier than a good hooked fish. Then the way you fight the fish refers to the fish getting off hook as well always hold you rod at an ankle. 

20 minutes ago, Hookjaw Jim said:

I am only at level 12, so stuck on winding rivulet. Tried on Old Bear and pretty much hit a blank with spinning on there. 

If you are level 12, try using differen lures, jigs, spinners to target different species, different size fish. On Winding Rivulet you have burbot, catfish, asp, chub, pike, perch, zander. You can catch all of them while spin fishing.

1 hour ago, Perverius said:

Thanks for the answer. I mentioned that my friend is losing fish same way on braid, reading what you said something came to my mind.

Spoiler

I have 2 salmon on the leader boards and struggling to land a big zander, my mate has zander on leader board and can't in any way get a salmon over 10kg. The difference is type of line we are using.

That would explain why fish seems like predestined to break off no matter what we do. Because it's actually predestined to do so at the time of strike. Maybe not predestined but there is some high probability of break off value set during hooking time and you have to be lucky as hell to beat these odds.

I've seen IRL two lads deadbaiting for pike with mono line and quite low drag setting, they were losing every fish. On the other hand we have Dollaghan, Ferox (a brown trout from two different water systems that grows to 10kg+)  and a Salmon here and you simply don't fish it with braided line. That would result in either hooks broken during a strike or line/rod broken. 

Hi Perverius
The fish aren't predestined to break off no matter what you do. It is the chances of losing the fish that gets increased if you use the wrong gear/wrong line/wrong hook or aren't holding your rod under an angle. But even with that, you still have a chance at landing those fish, if you handle it correctly. 
Different lines definitely have different outcomes with different fish species. Some species have a great eyesight, while others have great agility. Offering them line that is too visible to them or allowing even a little slack, can cause them to get off. 

18 minutes ago, Perverius said:

Predestined I mean with like 80% chance that is caused by the line type and probably rod stiffness.

Spoiler

Me and my mate seem to reel them well and these fish are getting off in some random moments. Like eg. just standing in place. We talking here like about 75% of potential trophy fish coming off.

We both bought now braid/fluoro/mono and will be trying all of these then comparing results. We will see how big the line factor is.

I'll elaborate on how it looks like. I'm finding the hotspot, be that a single specie or mixed spot. I'm getting fish after fish and rotate or use that perfect lure, it depends. After I drain the eg. perch spot there comes the pack leader. Clearly stronger fish and that will be the fish that comes off or if I land it it will be a trophy one. The point is that will be the only fish that breaks off and does it very consistently. After this the spot is empty.

Ah yes, if that's what you mean with predestined, than you're correct. As for "We talking here like about 75% of potential trophy fish coming off", that isn't just a trophy fish. That goes for all fish, regardless if they're common, trophy or rare trophy. 

As for trophy fish in general: in our game a trophy fish is a rare fish. And a rare trophy fish is extremely rare. You can't properly farm them like you can in some other fishing games. Here, it's those once in a lifetime fish that you'll catch.

We're looking forward to see your results!

(tried to edit but ran out of time xD)

I merged the posts for you :)

16 minutes ago, Pobsta said:

I have tried other lines, ive tried fluro, braid, mono.  Anything of any decent size seems to be coming off.  Kuori char yesterday 10 minute fight, I took my time and did everything just right to try and ensure it doesn't and as per usual ping, off she came.   It is so often now that it is frustrating.   I'm playing them at an angle I'm giving them time but no slack, I'm doing everything that's ever mentioned and yet 70% of anything half decent or better is coming off.  My confidence now when I hook a good fish that I will ever see it is low at best.

Hey Pobsta,

can you please show us your setup(s) and skilltrees ?

1 hour ago, Pobsta said:

Hello there \o.   Yes sure.  I just really don't know what else I can do to stop losing the bigger fish,  they seem to play okay and fight okay but around mid way through the fight they just come off.  I have tried playing at different angles and different pressure on them etc but the result is the same, it isn't every single fish but the % of those that come off is very high for me right now.     I have tried to show you the two things you have asked to see. Perhaps it is something there?     Thanks for taking the time out to try and help me a little.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.e0c3c53afcff8dfc76ccc22c10f845fe.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.f505cb6fe58b86d9f0a085ff6f1fb9fc.png

It could be the hook on the hypnotic as well as the targeted species is not suited for your rod. Some species shake their head way more than other so you need a very sensitive or very stiff rod. Try a bit around you gonna find something that helps you losing way less fish.

5 minutes ago, Hookjaw Jim said:

Quick question, points invested into the spinning reel skill, does this help with reducing the amount of damage a reel gets over time?

Hello Hookjaw Jim,

Skill points invested in spinning reel skill doesn't reduce the amount of damage a reel gets over time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookjaw Jim said:

Thank you, so I assume the benefits are the only ones listed under the skill? Strange question and pretty obvious question to be answered, but I have left that skill void of points and was wondering if it actually helps with the controlling of fish? 

Yes the only benefits you get for investing points in spinning reel is accuracy and distance when casting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MThook said:

So wondering if there is some clarification on the night spinning.

Spoiler

I saw the question asked before on if it's possible. I'm still early in the game but I have been trying regularly to spin fish at night. Recently thought I may have found the answer but so far no fish. Is it locked behind progression? I'm hoping this is something you can potentially do from the start of the game since spin fishing is already the hardest to progress but super fun. I don't want it spoiled but can you do it with spinners and spoons? Does water clarity matter? Does fog over the water matter? 

Hello MThook, 

Yes you can go night spinning, because some fish species become more active at night. You can do it with spinners and spoons, I am not saying anything else just, so I don't spoil the fun for you. Water clarity and fog over the water makes no difference in catching fish, it's just for the visual effect.

1 hour ago, MThook said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Going to keep trying tomorrow. I did do some research so fingers crossed for my next session. One more question. With spoons and spinners can I only do jig step and speed up? I'm assuming walk the dog is only on the surface jigs but haven't been able to do stop and go.

With spoons and spinners you can do jig step, speed up, stop and go and touching bottom. Technique "walk the dog" is only for topwater lures.

9 minutes ago, Hookjaw Jim said:

Another question : Not sure if this is the right place but; I am looking to invest some points in the future into baitcasting equipment. Are they better compared to spinning reels and such for spinning since, I have never used them in real life. Are they comparable? Better? Or is the difference not very noticeable. Don't fancy investing if spinning reels and such are just as good. 

Hey Hookjaw Jim,

they is definitely a difference between spin- and baitcasting reels. You can't really compare them tho since they work completely different. A baitcasting reel is working like a winch, that means your brakes need way longer to overheat than a spinning reel. Bait caster will cast way more accurate and most times depending on the setup even further. You will have to get used a bit to baitcasting but once you figured it out it definetly is worth it. But its neither better or worse than spinning that all comes down to what rigs, setups, type of species and much more you are doing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MThook said:

With spinners I've only managed speed up and touching bottom and haven't really seen any influence from them at all unfortunately . Jig stepping on the other hand seems to work well. Does stop and go require larger depths then what's found in Mosquito Lake and Winding Riverlut? Can't manage to see a pop up for stop and go so wondering what I'm doing wrong. Also have had some success with night fishing finally! Every time I do spin fishing I come out with more questions. Definitely looking to swap notes with someone.

MThook, Stop and go depends on lure and reel speed and how long you stop for just have to play around a bit as it is different for each lure.

I have found that I can use just two lures, one crank and one spoon. I have not changed these in the best part of four days now *same lures same colour night and day* and still catch many fish, the crank however is becoming worn and needs replacing soon. What I do though is move spots and give the previous spot a good half to a full days rest. Also, changing the approach to retrieve can mean the difference from a blank day *little to no fish* to filling a net which means changing the retrieve and/or technique every ten casts.

Like others have stated before, I would seriously suggest using a feeder rod also, this will boost your catch count, provide more experience and silver which really helps with the next upgrade to your equipment. I know, I didn't want to do this either but since I have I can now enjoy better spinning equipment which provides a gateway for bigger and more expensive fish and ultimately, better fishing locations. 

Spinning is a VERY difficult type of fishing to get anywhere fast with in Russian Fishing, I will assume this will change as time progresses with the game. Currently sitting at 43% skill in spinning, that has taken around a week to achieve, just got myself a pride reel, saving up for a 7.5kg rod and then I will be good at targeting the large fish at winding rivulet. Caught a 3.3kg asp a few days back, was a glorious fight and even better experience and a nice chunk of silver!

Edited by Hookjaw Jim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MThook said:

I'm going to post a picture of each so the catch count difference is easy to see.

Spinner ONLY

Hide contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171204_021225.thumb.png.dc889770a2a3d28657c7ec820b9295c6.png

Using 2 feeders (Also my newbness breaking reels on snags)

Hide contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171204_041712.thumb.png.84c765f1842afd5ca3e8ab16202e9ae8.png

I will also say I just have the one rod right now and I'm planning on doing of the river then going back for trolling when I can get 2 stiff rods. Maybe one.. lol

Once again good looking out Jim

Yeah, the difference is extremely noticeable. For spinning, move to winding rivulet as soon as you can, spinning really comes into its own from there. Catching chub, ide, zander and asp with the odd pike thrown in. I'd suggest using a gold fat S spoon, syberia I think it is and change the hook to a 3 star, better quality. Be aware of the size, going to big will probably end up with you hooking large fish, they will take you to the ends of the map where you are blocked from walking and usually a lost fish or snapped tackle is the result. Max of a size 1 hook will net many chub over 1kg and the odd zander with some asp, not forgetting pike. You will probably end up catching a TON of perch also. You will also catch the odd zebra muscle and river muscle, especially when using jig step, these can fetch a pretty penny if the cafe has orders for them.

At Winding, early morning start by casting towards the bridge near where you start the map, cast up towards it, not down and try and cast near the lillies opposite. Spend an hour or so there in game, if fish are not biting, move down a little to where the river branches off and spin that area. Can hook some very big chub there and decent pike. Then move down to the first deepest spot, where the beach area starts and give that a good old spinning, then move to the bend, look for the sunken trees. That spot is fished right will give you a fair amount of fish. Move forward to the next area, sunnery pinery or something like that, near the tent and fish there with slow retrieve. You should be catching a fair amount of fish. When it gets Dark, move to the next sunken tree in the river, fish that a while and finish the session at the end with the fallen tree blocking your path. Be careful here, an upgraded reel is recommended 5.5kg minimum really as some fish there are monsters.

When you can use cranks, do so and invest in the 4 star cranks, minnows. Make sure your gear can handle the onslaught though, you have been warned :P.

EDIT : Get yourself spoons from the heavens creek series, red/yellow or green works wonders. Upgrade the hook to something with more quality. Oh and use braid ;). You can use mono but winding has fish which absolutely smash the lure and I guess the extra stretch will cause a lot of slippage with hooks. 

Edited by Hookjaw Jim
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, CRANKNORRIS said:

hello i joined this great game since it was just on the russian server  and its a great game and never had any issues catching big fish  or had any complaints at all , but something happened the last couple weeks , im not sure what but all of a sudden i cant land any of the big fish i hook , always ( pulled the hook ) undertension ,    iv tried many many diffrent hooks  , sizes  and different lines , i even went as far as to buy a new rod and still when i hook a big fish  , he spits it out undertension every time ,  the way i see it is if im not doing anything different why all of a sudden is this happening , and why does everything i try to stop it not work ?     PS its not my internet because i have no issues with the small ones lol  and my internet can tell how big the fish is    : P    i will listen to any sugestions as there may be something iv yet to try or think of. 

i would just like to add this community in game has already tried to help me with tips of what to use and what to try ,  this community is amazing , everyone is very nice and helpfull  , its a pleasure to be a part of it      your fishing friend    CRANKNORRIS

Cranknorris, Can you please post a screen shot of your setup that seems to be loosing fish and your corresponding skill tree, So we can see if it is a skill issue or something wrong elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, CRANKNORRIS said:

hello thanks for the reply  he

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171205_202011.thumb.png.9f5a369f6dac357bf5689a1b80cda9c4.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171205_201834.thumb.png.00509431487b8aa6b8a8a20038340690.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171205_201815.thumb.png.00ef3c73ed9347caa408cbb4b0616fb7.png

re is my most used setup but iv used the most expensive 2/0  hooks  on my spoons quit often also  and 4/0   hope it helps   : )

Cranknorris, So what i see right now that i think that your hooks are a bit large for most fish that are going to hit that lure. The other thing with that setup you may be forcing the fish rather than trying to play the fish a bit.

5 minutes ago, CRANKNORRIS said:

a #4 hook is to large  ?   i said i also used 2/0 and 4/0

Spoiler

i should if said to try and stop the fish from spiting the hook is why i started useing them   sorry my bad   , it happens with the hooks on the spoons when bought at the store also  #4  i believe, as for forcing it in ,   like i said , iv just had this issue lately  ( 2 weeks or so  )   and iv been playing for months  before and was more worried about getting spooled rather then loseing the fish , so the way i fish must work because it did for months before, unless something changed and im not aware of it.

rf4_4.0.8860_20171205_203408.png

#4 and 4/0 are two different hook sizes. And even said that for the fish that you are loosing they both way too big. 

1 hour ago, Pobsta said:

Hello,   I am new to using jigging rig and am having a big problem with it.    Why when I can have my drag set at roughly 25 or so with no problem whilst using spoons and land fish of any size on this setting with them pulling line if they need to normally but with a jigging rig say using maggot or provoker etc I have to lower it right down to 12-14 only and it still flashes into the red when the fish pulls a bit,   it is a struggle to play fish of even 1.5kg???   Having a fish of 3kg or more feels like a monster and takes forever to land when using jigging rigs.   Am I doing something wrong?  Please.

I use 31kg spinning rod, 14kg gold reel and 13.5kg line at the moment.

Hello Pobsta,

Can you add screenshots of your jigging setup? Without the screenshot I can only say that it's your hooks problem.

Just now, Pobsta said:

Hello Gytautelis,  yep I think the problem was my cheap Jighead.  Sorry about posting here before I changed that, I just assumed it was something else as I didn't realise a jighead could cause such a change in drag tension etc and so never gave that a thought!   I tried a jighead of slightly better quality/priced and it seems to have done the trick.  Thanks for the response and offer to help.  If I run into any problems with better jigheads ill post here but I believe the issue is resolved.   

You don't need to worry about posting here. This is the place to ask questions and get help. :)

9 hours ago, KaplanReis said:

Hello!

After last patch, fish often jump away from the hook. To day fish got away 3 times in row. My break was not so hard i was between green and yellow in stress indicator. Its happen more often. Can some one help to fix that.( Its frustrating) More fish please.

Hide contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171212_040629.png

Hello KaplanReis,

Could you make a screenshots of your setup and spinning skill tree and post it here?

5 minutes ago, KaplanReis said:

Of course.

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171212_181259Setup.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171212_181605Skill.jpg

Hello KaplanReis,

You are using nylon monofilament line on a spinning setup, that makes it harder to set the hook when fish bites. You should use braided or flourocarbon line when spin fishing to set hooks easier. That should help you with loosing fewer fish. And you can change the hooks on your lure to better quality hooks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neymarpsg said:

bonjour j'ai acheter cette canne CASTING RODS la syberia  Super Duty CST86XH le probleme , j'ai voulu l'équipé du moulinet syberia Sabre 60S mais pas possible . alors je voudrais savoir le quel moulinet et compatible avec cette canne ( Syberia  Super Duty CST86XH )

Tu connais la différence entre casting et spinning en vrai ? Le Sabre est un moulinet spinning alors que la canne que tu as acheté est une canne casting. Ca n'est pas compatible, les moulinets casting se fixent au-dessus alors que les moulinets spinning se fixent en dessous. D'ailleurs, il faut être à 50% en spinning pour pouvoir utiliser des moulinets casting. Bref, tu as acheté une canne dont tu ne vas rien pouvoir faire avant un bon moment malheureusement, à moins que tu sois déjà à 50% en spinning, auquel cas, achète un mouline casting pour aller avec ta canne, sinon, achète une canne spinning.

He was asking why he can't equip a spinning reel on a casting rod so i explained the difference between spinning and casting equipment to him.

19 hours ago, KaplanReis said:

Hello KaplanReis,

If you keep losing fish after changing your line and your hook on your lure, then you are doing something wrong during the fight. Then you should read this post as it will help you with losing fewer fish.

8 hours ago, Marcoz said:

Guys please explain one thing...I bought a line Syberia Hybrid 7.2kg, suddenly after 2 or three small fish I wanted to check my setup and I noticed my new line had 2.4% wear.

Next I caught a 290g perch....suddenly the wear on my line went to 2.9%...say what ?? 0.5% wear over one small fish ???

Next >>> a 141g perch...another 0.1% wear to my line ??? 

Is there something wrong with my setup or what's up ? cause this is just crazy. I caught no more than 5 small fish and wear on my line is already 3%

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.8860_20171214_234507.png

Hello Marcoz,

Braided line is very robust and stiff so it wears down faster and the less line you have on your reel the faster it wears down. As of the November 20th update "The algorithm of the line wear has been improved. Now the rate of wear depends also on the amount of line on the roll. The more the fishing line on the roll, the slower its wear".

And your reel can hold up to 242 meters of your line but you are using only 110 meters.

Hello

I recently decided to get back to Kuori lake and give troll fishing a second chance. In my previous runs it was quite a static and unproductive experience, so I moved on and went back to traditional spinning. I come here today after my trolling session with few questions,  to better understand  how trolling works in RF4. Let's get started:

Does boat speed and movement influences catch rates? I mean can I animate lures using my boat to give them more randomness?

If " trolling mode" is the only way to make trolling actually work in game,  how can I adjust the lures swimming depth?

Will the wobblers stay at their set  depth and will spoons and other sinking lures work exclusively at the bottom?

Is trolling developed in a complex way or in a simplistic/work in progress one? 

Thank you guys