Mosquito Lake - Laying Out The Perfect Bream Buffet

Elwoodiath2

• Administrator

Mosquito Lake - Laying Out The Perfect Bream Buffet

Introduction:

This guide started with the intent of showing lower level players how to catch Bream at Mosquito Lake. While collecting data the scope of the guide expanded in my mind as I caught plenty of White Bream and collected some very interesting data on the usage of ground bait. Because of this, this guide is broken into two parts. The first section will simply cover how to catch Bream and White Bream at Mosquito Lake. The first section will be a good 'quick start' guide for newer players who simply want to catch fish. The second section will cover the data collected on ground baits and their usage. This data provides insights, but it also opens up more questions as well. More experienced players will find the information here intriguing and if they are so motivated, use it as a jumping off point to learn more about how the game handles ground bait.

Species Overview:

The Common Bream (Abramis Brama) occupy a variety of lakes, rivers, and backwaters. Adults of the species prefer still or slowly moving water. They tend to move in large shoals. Primary food sources include tubifex worms, chironimid larvae, bivalves, and gastropods. They will eat plants and algae as well. They use their protractile mouths to dig in the substrate to locate their food. In the event of a food shortage the species can switch to filter feeding with their gill rakers to obtain sustenance.

White Bream (Blicca bjoerkna) prefer the stagnant waters of lakes and reservoirs and calm slow moving rivers and canals. The move together in large shoals and tend to stay on the bottom where they feed on benthic invertebrates. They are primarily a nocturnal species.

Data Collection Techniques:

For this guide data was collected for a total of 16 hours. As these species are bottom feeders, I decided to use feeders and choose 6 baits to fish with. Most of these baits are known to catch bream, but one was chosen that does not normally yield large amounts of bream just to see if other conditions effect it's popularity with the fish. Two locations were selected that both held bream. Three ground baits were chosen to be used for testing as well. At each location an hour was spent fishing each bait on a single rod. This meant each location got 2 hours of fishing when using all 6 baits. The spots were first fished with no ground bait to establish a baseline, then fished again with each of the ground baits. This led to 16 hours in total of fishing. This time in addition to the data collected in my Asp guide, I was able to also collect temperature data. The temperature was rounded to the nearest whole number and was collected at hook time, not at catch time to ensure the data was as close as possible to when the fish actually bit the bait.

Bream Habits on Mosquito:

After 16 hours we have plenty of data to determine prime times and conditions for catching Bream and White Bream. See the charts below for the results.

Spoiler

BreamCharts.thumb.png.5501a9c02e03707b8db735af35e61fbc.png

BreamFood.thumb.png.c854963c1a566813f1340224e2d56b5e.png

So looking at the data the first thing I noticed was that Bream really like clear weather, but that didn't match up with my experience while fishing. So I realized I didn't have it broke out by hourly average during the weather conditions. When I did that, the data looked a lot better. So just because you have data, don't take it at first glance, sometimes you are looking at it wrong. Based on this data we can make the following assertions:

• Bream like a sunshine, but are not afraid of a little weather. They shutdown though under cloudy conditions.
  • White Bream prefer cloudy weather but bite about the same under all weather conditions.
  • Extreme cold and heat cause both species to shutdown
  • White Bream have a 'magic' temp at around 14 degrees
  • Both species prefer morning and late evening times
  • White bream like Garlic Dough and Maggots. *Bloodworms were not tested, but are also known to be good baits.
  • Bream like Pearl Barley and Pea Porridge.

Basic Ground Bait Data:

More detail about ground bait will be revealed later in this guide; however, a brief look at the benefits of ground bait needs to happen in order for the first part of this guide to be complete. I tested with no ground bait, a special low level recipe, bream mix, and white bream mix. The basic results are below.

Spoiler

Groundbait.png.fe5a721550b4f7f1cdb87a455414a068.png

Over all, ground bait caused a 24% increase in catch rate! In the above table you can see how each mix performed with the target species. Later we will take a deeper dive, but if you can use ground bait - use it. My special Broke Bream Boy Recipe is below for those who need a cheap/low level mix.

Broke Bream Boy Mix

• Semolina Base
  • Millet Porridge Additive
  • Fly Maggot Additive
  • Sunflower Oil Attractant

Gear and Equipment:

Bream and White Bream do not get to large sizes on Mosquito Lake. The biggest fish caught was only 4.2kg. While you do need to be wary of the occasional Common Carp, entry level feeder equipment will work just fine. See the below for a sample setup. Be sure if you are using a leader to use flourocarbon of a small diameter. If you can use a feeder rig, use a feeder rig. The benefits of ground bait are too good to pass up.

For hooks I used size 12 hooks. Based on the size of the fish I was catching, you could use hooks from size 16 to size 12 and have good catch rates.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11419_20181231_133350.thumb.png.2917f0de06f1fe347e484adf99f14e67.png

Fishing Locations:

Two locations were tested, they are shown as yellow and green on the map. Yellow is ok, and green is good. There is a third location highlighted in red that was not tested but may hold Bream. In Russian Fishing 4, Bream seem to enjoy deeper holes to reside in. Because of this the two 5m holes were tested on Mosquito Lake.

• 56:48 - Ok location - 75% to 95% cast. (Yellow Dot: Angler, Yellow Area: Fish Location)
  • 61:53 - Very good location - 40% to 60% cast.  (Green Dot: Angler, Green Area: Fish Location)

Clip distances are not included as I typically do not use clips as I like a little variation when I cast. Using your own testing, you can come up with suitable clips and please post them in the comments as they may help other players. See the image below for the visual on the locations.

At 61:53 I broke my record for most fish caught in a day TWICE. It is an incredibly active spot with the right baits and ground bait. First time was 89 catches in an hour and the second was 94 catches in an hour.

Spoiler

text2603.thumb.png.63b491f367dcc1804bcb0b6e5813555d.png

Conclusions:

Bream on Mosquito are a prolific fish and many can be caught. That being said, the sizes are small so they are not the best source of silver. Plenty of action can be had, but the newer player would be better off targeting Crucian, Gibel, Chub, and Ide to make silver. The true beauty of Mosquito Lake bream fishing is the potential for farming bait fish sized White Bream. Final points:

• Bream and White Bream like the morning hours best.
  • Bream like Pea Porridge and Pearl Barley.
  • White Bream like Garlic Dough and Maggots.

For those who just wanted to know how to catch Bream, this guide is over. For those who are wanting to peer in the mysteries of ground bait, please continue reading.

Ground Bait Discussion:

As mentioned earlier, ground bait has improves the catch rate of the targeted species. It also improves the size of the fish caught. Additionally, the data points to a potential for ground bait to alter the effectiveness of various baits to the targeted fish. This data will reveal the effects of ground bait, and will point to some tantalizing hypothesis; however, it is not enough data or the right kind to provide solid answers on the details. Still, it is fascinating and definitely provides some interesting avenues of exploration for the motivated angler.

Lets take a quick look at the improvement in catch rates, and improvements in median size of the fish.

Spoiler

Groundbait2.thumb.png.b975df08010a28145e56a8c207a46e98.png

As has been discussed earlier, there is a significant increase in catch rate with ground bait. Also, there is an increase in median weight of the fish when using ground bait. The most interesting thing to notice though, is the difference in white bream ground bait, vs bream ground bait. Bream themselves seem to enjoy Bream and White Bream mix almost equally well, but White Bream really like the White Bream mix. Let's take a look at the ingredients of the recipes and see if anything is revealed.

Broke Bream Boy Mix

• Semolina Base - 1.5 Stars
  • Millet Porridge Additive - .5 Stars
  • Fly Maggot Additive - 1 Stars
  • Sunflower Oil Attractant - .5 Stars

Bream Mix

• Pearl Barley - 2 Stars
  • Millet Porridge Additive  - .5 Stars
  • Anise Oil Attractant - 2 Stars

White Bream Mix

• Ground Peas - 3 Stars
  • Blood Worms Additive - 1 Stars
  • Fennel Attractant - 2.5 Stars

So the total star rating for each ground bait is: Broke Bream Boy - 3.5 Stars, Bream - 5.5 Stars, White Bream - 7.5 Stars. That might explain the overall increase in ground bait catch rates, but we do still see that gap between Bream and White Bream mix when it comes to catch rates for White Bream. What could be causing that? When you look at the additives and the gap between Broke Bream Boy and Bream mix, you see that they are similar, and have similar catch rates. The White Bream mix has an additive that is different - and that is the blood worm. My hypothesis is that the blood worms have a big effect on withe bream catch rate. What is also interesting is White Bream mix is as effective on Bream as regular Bream mix. It means the ingredients in the mixes hold a similar overall attractiveness to the fish.

Does this hold for the other species caught during the testing? When you look at all species by catch rate something interesting comes out.

Spoiler

GroundbaitTable.thumb.png.3269f3ac20b460da4f49c906632d110c.png

We find that ground baits attract or repel other species. But we also find that White Bream ground bait is a VERY good generic ground bait. With a only a -13% average attractiveness to all species caught and a 28% total increase in overall numbers - this ground bait would be a good 'generic' ground bait when you are not sure what to use. It also shows that ingredients matter.

Ground Bait Questions:

This leads us to the questions. Yes ground bait increases catch rates. Yes ground bait increases overall size of fish caught. Yes, the ingredients and their quality affect the exact effects of the ground bait. But how does all of this work? At this point I have not seen a community created resource that outlines what ingredients have what effect. I have not seen anything that explores potential 'synergies' between ingredients. So even though I can prove that ground bait works, there is nothing out there that provides a guide on how to build ground bait based on the observed properties in the game. Would it be possible to begin 'theory crafting' to shed light on this subject? Yes - it would be labor intensive but based on my forays into data collection this is what I would propose. Perhaps some motivated angling teams could take this up and post their results. Below is a proposed method to explore this feature of the game and begin cracking it more fully.

• For the first species to investigate choose one with a high bite rate. Bream, Gibel/Crucian Carp, Roach all would be good potential subjects.
  • Choose the same bait to use. All rods should have the same bait.
  • Start by making ground bait out of the base only.
  • Fish the known locations with no ground bait for at least 2 hours to get a baseline.
  • Fish the known location with each base for the same amount of time used to get the baseline data.
  • Calculate the effectiveness of each individual base.
  • Choose a base - the one with the least improvement in bite rate but not negative, and then repeat the above with each additive. Only one additive at a time.
  • As above but with no additives, and each attractant.
  • Then you would have a potential attractiveness % for each component.

The key would be to distribute this work across members of a team using a common data collection template. After completion, next steps could including testing the validity by combining ingredients and seeing if the effects are additive or multiplicative in nature. Maybe there is a function of decreased returns with the more ingredients in the mix. But with a solid baseline data the players could start exploring this and begin creating much more effective ground baits.

Conclusions:

Kudos to you if you have read this entire guide! We have learned the best baits for bream and white bream on Mosquito lake and in the process begun delving into some of the more interesting effects and mysteries of ground bait. I hope that players take this information and begin expanding upon it and share it with the community. There is so much to learn and explore in this game, and no one angler can do it all themselves. I truly hope the community looks at this and sees that there is much more than simply catching fish to explore, and more focused guides and explanations come from the community itself.

Until next time, tight lines!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

wow, totally agree about the need for some rigorous testing of various groundbaits and ingredients and their overall efficacy; as well as other effects and how the various ingredients affect catch rates, and/or fish sizes.

I've tried setting up tests myself  (was trying to get a semi-decent vimba gb) and found it pretty much impossible to validate any results, decided you'd need A LOT of datasets to get anything anywhere near accurate enough to show trends.

If you need anyone to do donkey work collecting data feel free to ask, its something I'd love to see come to fruition.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

ahoj tak jsem si pročetla diskuzi a dostala jsem dobré rady, za ně moc děkuji. ale co mě celkem překvapilo je to, že když hraji hru přes Steam mapa mosquito je uplně jiná než ta co je tady zmíněna i s přesnými lokacemi. jak je to možné ?