RF4mod

Live and Baitfish

First time trying live bait. Do you guys let fish swim or do you "nail" it to the bottom with sinker? How heavy sinkers do you use? Thanks

19 hours ago, Slatkus said:

First time trying live bait. Do you guys let fish swim or do you "nail" it to the bottom with sinker? How heavy sinkers do you use? Thanks

@SlatkusBecause you are limited to the amount of weight you can put on a rig due to your rod's test, some people go with the lightest sinker they can get away with in order to maximize the size of the live bait they can put on the hook without stressing the rod too much. You will need to experiment to discover the combo that works for your gear and your style.

1 hour ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@SlatkusBecause you are limited to the amount of weight you can put on a rig due to your rod's test, some people go with the lightest sinker they can get away with in order to maximize the size of the live bait they can put on the hook without stressing the rod too much. You will need to experiment to discover the combo that works for your gear and your style.

I wasted time by asking, you wasted your time by giving me same old "figure it out by yourself" answer. Thanks anyway.

I unlocked live bait three days ago. I was a bit disappointed to start off with, a small pike or two at Ladoga and odd burbot at Kuori. I basically blanked at Volkhov and Bear. However last night I went to Sura and fished the 7.5m hole. I constantly swapped between live bait species until I got a bite. My first throw with bleak I caught a 10kg catfish... From there all 9 of my bleak were taken in as many casts in almost the same amount of time. Zander and Volga Zander couldn't leave them alone. I even caught my first trophy Zander of 8.8kg. Caught some more fish on white bream and gudgeon. Smaller live baits and lighter tackle gives a decent bite rate, Where's perch, crucial and gibel are very slow (only caught pike on them so far). I also noticed lately in the game no matter the method, if a rod is sitting still for a long time, recast it... It almost always triggers a rapid bite. 

Edited by krokenosterfant2

@Slatkus first of all, stop being ...! Second, what elwood is saying is true.

The higher the test of you rod, the heavier the sinker u can use. 

To answer your question, even if i put a 140gram sinker on a 30 gram gudgeon, the fish will still move a little.

So the only reason i will use a heavier sinker, is for casting distance.

@krokenosterfant2 Perch has been very good for big burbots, big chars and even baltic sturgeons for me. Chars and burbots both on kouri and ladoga.

I can reccomend using the magnetic hooks in a size 2 or 4 to catch the smaller fish in ladoga (chars and whitefish)

Gudgeon and bleek are very good for chars in general, and bleak has given me a few trophy zanders lately and a nice 23kg baltic sturgeon also.

The prefered bait changes all the time, so just keep experimenting :)

• Like 1

Just please fix the problem with hooks :) I caught 99g perch with a roach and a baby burbot... 

I use 2/0 hooks :/ 

Okay, i have 0% freshness smelt, 50% fresh ness and 100% freshness all in my baitbucket.

The 0% one is dead, and can be used as deadbait. 

The 100% one is alive and kicking and like new.

What about the 50% one? Is it half as lively as the 100% one, or does its effectiveness last a shorter time? or is it semi-rotting and so more likely to deter a predator?

if it's still alive it should be just as effective as a 100% one? But is this the case?

Hope it's clear what I'm asking, it looks a bit of a confusing question reading it back now. 

Thanks for any advice.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:23 AM, mqg said:

@krokenosterfant2 Perch has been very good for big burbots, big chars and even baltic sturgeons for me. Chars and burbots both on kouri and ladoga.

I can reccomend using the magnetic hooks in a size 2 or 4 to catch the smaller fish in ladoga (chars and whitefish)

Gudgeon and bleek are very good for chars in general, and bleak has given me a few trophy zanders lately and a nice 23kg baltic sturgeon also.

The prefered bait changes all the time, so just keep experimenting :)

Thanks mqg for the info. I'm never throwing perch again off the islands on Ladoga. I hooked something stupid (must of been a baltic) which completely stripped my mayor during a 10 minute fight, never hit alt f4 so fast before

What I learned so far after trying to baitfish for some time - you do need serious equipment if you want to use live bait in Ladoga or Sura. Most of the time I was getting tiny, tiny fish but when finally bigger fish bite, it was WAY beyond my  20 kg averge  equipment - just like a submarine. I suspect very big sturgeons. 

My main goal with live bit was to get blue or at least yellow trophy of Burbot. At Kuori at perfect weather I was able to get only 1kg or less troll Burbs, maybe one around 4kg. 

Only bigger fish was VERY big pike that for obvious reasons cut my fluoro right off. 

So - it can be frustrating, be ready for some huge fish that will spool you, for random pikes that will bite your line off - but I guess its the risk of hunting for the trophy. 

I`m almost done with lvling my bait crafting upt to live fish so I will be able to try it with out using gold, maybe it will be less frustrating haha 

On 11/23/2018 at 7:41 PM, miojow said:

Anyone having luck fishing pikes with baitfish?

Try the pond at the new map

1 hour ago, Smith82 said:

no one?

White bream: burbot, cat, sturgeon, zander, chub and pike but not so much.

Edited by amun24
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, amun24 said:

White bream: burbot, cat, sturgeon, zander, chub and pike but not so much.

thx