madboi

friction brakes

hey i am new to fishing and new to russian fishing 4 what is friction brakes and how much friction brakes should i set?

6 hours ago, madboi said:

hey i am new to fishing and new to russian fishing 4 what is friction brakes and how much friction brakes should i set?

Friction Brake aka 'drag' is a mechanical system on your reel that lets line get pulled after a certain amount of force is applied to the line. This prevents your gear from being broken by ensuring the full force of the fish is not applied to the gear. It also helps to tire the fish, the more break you can safely apply, the harder the fish has to work. You should set your break between 10 to 15 to start and once you have a fish on tighten it until the fish just stays in the yellow of the tension bar without going into the red.

19 hours ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

Friction Brake aka 'drag' is a mechanical system on your reel that lets line get pulled after a certain amount of force is applied to the line. This prevents your gear from being broken by ensuring the full force of the fish is not applied to the gear. It also helps to tire the fish, the more break you can safely apply, the harder the fish has to work. You should set your break between 10 to 15 to start and once you have a fish on tighten it until the fish just stays in the yellow of the tension bar without going into the red.

ah i see so set it to 10-15 then if the fish are strong set it higher

No, you adjust break so that by reeling in you dont go in the red. If the fish is stronger youll need more time to tire it out, if the bar goes to red you reduce breake, if its weaker youll probably set it higher to get it in faster.

Edited by ZedMcJack