7 hours ago, Laki1993 said:

Hello people.

Yesterday I had my line torn twice, I got spooled by a carp I think. I used leaders on both systems thinking if my line gets torn, I will only lose the leader and the hook, but both times I lost everything up to the bells. The leaders I was using both had load capacity lesser then the lines I was using. Is it suppose to work that way? Is there no point to leaders other then saving my lines from predator fish?

@Laki1993If you post your setup that you are using, it makes it easier for people to give you advice on what is going on. There are several potential answers to what you are describing.

1 hour ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@Laki1993If you post your setup that you are using, it makes it easier for people to give you advice on what is going on. There are several potential answers to what you are describing.

These are the setups I am using right now. They are identical to those I used when my lines were torn. The only differences are that the leader on Syberia feeder was Mono Orig leader FD 32LB, which is out of stock currently, and I can't afford to go to Kuori just for that, and the line on Asteria was Syberia Fine Fluorocarbon 17LB 100M which I am not using right now because this one is cheaper and I don't see a point in wasting it for crucians/gibels (I just realized that when I tore it while fishing for them :D).

From my understanding of leaders which is why I was using them in the first place, I should've lost just the leader and the hook, but I lost everything up to the bite indicators and a huge portion of lines. By the way, I am playing through Steam, that is why the name is different from the one here.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10788_20181125_180011.png

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10788_20181125_180036.png

On 11/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, Elwoodiath2 said:

@skitter p0p The trick to bringing in pike on Flouro leaders is to maintain proper line tension. Any kind of slack in the line and they will bite through. They may still do that even if everything is right, but it is a lot less likely. I fish with a UL rig almost exclusively, and have only had my line torn by pike once. This is on a 6.4kg flouro leader.The three most important things you can do if you think the fish is a pike is:

1. Use shift key when reeling, this ensures the line tension doesn't get much slack in it.
  2. Ensure your drag is set so that you stay just out of the red on your tension bar. Don't go into the red as this puts undo stress on your rig. Just under the red line is the sweet spot.
  3. If you still are having trouble with line tension, then raise the rod up with the right mouse button. This helps maintain good line tension.

Hope this helps!

Okay, i will try my best.. Thanks for replying 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, Laki1993 said:

These are the setups I am using right now. They are identical to those I used when my lines were torn. The only differences are that the leader on Syberia feeder was Mono Orig leader FD 32LB, which is out of stock currently, and I can't afford to go to Kuori just for that, and the line on Asteria was Syberia Fine Fluorocarbon 17LB 100M which I am not using right now because this one is cheaper and I don't see a point in wasting it for crucians/gibels (I just realized that when I tore it while fishing for them :D).

From my understanding of leaders which is why I was using them in the first place, I should've lost just the leader and the hook, but I lost everything up to the bite indicators and a huge portion of lines. By the way, I am playing through Steam, that is why the name is different from the one here.

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.10788_20181125_180011.png

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.10788_20181125_180036.png

It happened to me three more times since this last post, twice on the Asteria setup and once on the Syberia.

Should I post this in bug reporting, maybe it would get more attention, or is this normal behavior?

2 hours ago, Laki1993 said:

It happened to me three more times since this last post, twice on the Asteria setup and once on the Syberia.

Should I post this in bug reporting, maybe it would get more attention, or is this normal behavior?

@Laki1993I reviewed your breakages and it is normal behavior. The line quality you were using is low compared to the leader. This also factors into what breaks first. What appears to be happening is that your line and leader are close in strength, and even though your leader is less than your line, the low quality line is breaking first. A few things you can try is to use higher quality line. You can also make sure there is a larger gap between the strength of your line and the strength of your leader. Finally, I did notice one of your breakages was due to a snag. If you notice a snag make sure you reduce your drag, and then open your bail before attempting to unsnag.

1 hour ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@Laki1993I reviewed your breakages and it is normal behavior. The line quality you were using is low compared to the leader. This also factors into what breaks first. What appears to be happening is that your line and leader are close in strength, and even though your leader is less than your line, the low quality line is breaking first. A few things you can try is to use higher quality line. You can also make sure there is a larger gap between the strength of your line and the strength of your leader. Finally, I did notice one of your breakages was due to a snag. If you notice a snag make sure you reduce your drag, and then open your bail before attempting to unsnag.

Ok, thank you. The snag was on a float rod, nothing I could do, but thanks for the advice too.

Guess I'm doing something wrong. 

After last update and introduction of crafted leaders, I got 3 lures bitten of by medium sized fish - probably pikes,  while trolling on Volkhov. Line tension was approx. 30%. 

I was using FC leaders both FD and common version (17.4kg and 11.6kg respectively) and Snake ultra mono line,  with very low wear.  (see image).

According to in-game description common FC leader "is perfectly suited for catching perch, medium-sized pike and zander", which is obviously not now. 

What leaders should I use now for spinning? Are we now required to craft our own leaders?

Or was it line? Shall I used braided one?

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11261_20181208_123200.png

Thank you for the answer. 

I was looking for safe setup to troll with and target mostly atlantic salmon and asp, with occasional pike and perch. Steel leaders are no-go for salmon.

I had no issues with 17.4kg FC leaders before the introduction of "fishing tool".  After update, I lost 4 of these rigs in quick succession. 

I cough up the silver and made couple of 0.7mm FC leaders. 

Since then, no rig was bitten off.

So yeah, fishing tool is a must for spinning now. 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I just read most of your comments, ideas, sad experience about leaders and I have to admit I had the same problem with fluoro carbon leaders. It feels a little bit too strange when pikes that are 4-6 kg weight, cut off these fluoro leaders so easily (i think i lost 4 lures in 2 days, were using kiruuna hunters and every bite costed me about -100 coins, so its really annoying). Every time i was using fluoro carbon leader 0.54mm diameter, 17.4 kg and i think its too much when 4-5kg pikes cut off them so easily, especially when there are real monster pikes over 10 kg, the bite rate of the pike should be reduced in my opinion. I see no point in using the fluoro carbon leaders at the moment with spinning fishing because you never know when the big pike can attack the lure... So I came back to steel leaders.
The other thing that was recently on my mind is any difference between fluoro carbon and steel leaders? I know fluoro carbons are less visible in the water but they are weaker, but do you get the fish more often with fluoro carbons? Have you noticed any difference?

56 minutes ago, EdNovi said:

Hey guys,

I just read most of your comments, ideas, sad experience about leaders and I have to admit I had the same problem with fluoro carbon leaders. It feels a little bit too strange when pikes that are 4-6 kg weight, cut off these fluoro leaders so easily (i think i lost 4 lures in 2 days, were using kiruuna hunters and every bite costed me about -100 coins, so its really annoying). Every time i was using fluoro carbon leader 0.54mm diameter, 17.4 kg and i think its too much when 4-5kg pikes cut off them so easily, especially when there are real monster pikes over 10 kg, the bite rate of the pike should be reduced in my opinion. I see no point in using the fluoro carbon leaders at the moment with spinning fishing because you never know when the big pike can attack the lure... So I came back to steel leaders.
The other thing that was recently on my mind is any difference between fluoro carbon and steel leaders? I know fluoro carbons are less visible in the water but they are weaker, but do you get the fish more often with fluoro carbons? Have you noticed any difference?

Yes is a big difference with fluoro leader you have a good bite rate..where do you fish? I was trolling in volkhov, kuori akhtuba never cut my fluoro leader i know when i need to change to steel and where not to change ...

7 minutes ago, amun24 said:

Yes is a big difference with fluoro leader you have a good bite rate..where do you fish? I was trolling in volkhov, kuori akhtuba never cut my fluoro leader i know when i need to change to steel and where not to change ...

And you need to know how to fight the pike and need luck too i saw guys that get trophy pike with fluoro leader..

1 hour ago, amun24 said:

And you need to know how to fight the pike and need luck too i saw guys that get trophy pike with fluoro leader..

Lost one lure on Winding rivulet, others were on Kuori lake. Actually yeah, I agree, i got one pike of 8.7 kg with that 17.4 kg, 0.54mm fluoro carbon leader too, but its too painful to loose lures like Kiruuna hunters (the biggest ones, so if i get cut off its about -100 coins). And yes, you need some experience in fighting with big pikes, you can't use force and you have to be extra careful, but sadly, i lost all the fishes when i was reeling in, not on low line tension. So after this happened I still have many doubts of using fluoro carbon, i know it's worth it of trying (last session on Kuori lake i lost one Kiruuna , but still managed to get over 500 coins, i'm almost level 22).  I think i will do more research on steel leaders, if it fails, then going back to fluoro carbon :)

• Like 1

On 6.04.2018 at 17:04, RF4mod said:

Czy rozważałeś zmianę miejsca, w którym łowisz?
- Jeśli łowisz w "wodach szczupaków", powinieneś używać przywódców stali.

- Jeśli szczupak nie jest twoim celem, odsuń się od brzegów, trawy i podwodnych struktur. Niektóre miejsca mogą mieć sporadyczne szczupaki, ale jeśli korzystasz z linii / lidera z fluoro, będziesz się czuł dobrze.

because the pike is blind and does not see steel :)

On 11/28/2018 at 2:28 PM, Elwoodiath2 said:

Hi,

When will this be fixed?

Line quality should change the ratio diameter / tensile strenght. Better quality line is thinner for the same max load.

Have a line labeled 7.5 kg break before a 6.4 kg labeled one isn't normal behaviour, keeping line wear in mind.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Siegfried67 said:

Hi,

When will this be fixed?

Line quality should change the ratio diameter / tensile strenght. Better quality line is thinner for the same max load.

Have a line labeled 7.5 kg break before a 6.4 kg labeled one isn't normal behaviour, keeping line wear in mind.

Thanks.

@Siegfried67This is not a bug. This is the expected mechanic. The higher the quality of the line, the more 'stress'/'stretch' it can take before it breaks. Quality doesn't just effect diameter, it also effects performance.

2 hours ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@Siegfried67This is not a bug. This is the expected mechanic. The higher the quality of the line, the more 'stress'/'stretch' it can take before it breaks. Quality doesn't just effect diameter, it also effects performance.

Hi again,

I really don't want to bother anyone, but shouldn't the improvement in performance then be shown? If the 5 star quality 5kg line handles 6 kg, shouldn't it be labelled as 6 kg test? It can confuse players, and lead to line breaking...

What purpose does the labelled tensile strenght serve, if it doesn't reflect the actual tensile strenght?

2 hours ago, Siegfried67 said:

Hi again,

I really don't want to bother anyone, but shouldn't the improvement in performance then be shown? If the 5 star quality 5kg line handles 6 kg, shouldn't it be labelled as 6 kg test? It can confuse players, and lead to line breaking...

What purpose does the labelled tensile strenght serve, if it doesn't reflect the actual tensile strenght?

@Siegfried67This game is meant to reflect real life. The tensile strength listed on the package is the reliable test strength of the line being sold. It does not mean that the line isn't capable of holding a bit more. It really is not as much an 'improvement in performance' as it it is more of it will last a bit longer in the red than a lower quality line. However, that is what gets some people into trouble. You see, while it is enduring that enhanced strain - the entire setup is enduring that. So for example if you were using high quality line very close to the capacity of a telestick and the telestick was lower quality there is the chance that enough force would be applied to the rod to break it before the line broke.

Also different types of line behave differently. Braid does not have any 'stretch' in it, whereas mono is quite 'stretchy', and flouro has a little stretch. Part of the game design is exploration. There are many things that are not shown explicitly to the player as the player is meant to explore and experiment.

Here is a good article on the real life applications of the various line types: http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/tips/braid-vs-fluorocarbon-vs-monofilament/ It is a North American focused article, but should get you started.

2 minutes ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@Siegfried67This game is meant to reflect real life. The tensile strength listed on the package is the reliable test strength of the line being sold. It does not mean that the line isn't capable of holding a bit more. It really is not as much an 'improvement in performance' as it it is more of it will last a bit longer in the red than a lower quality line. However, that is what gets some people into trouble. You see, while it is enduring that enhanced strain - the entire setup is enduring that. So for example if you were using high quality line very close to the capacity of a telestick and the telestick was lower quality there is the chance that enough force would be applied to the rod to break it before the line broke.

Also different types of line behave differently. Braid does not have any 'stretch' in it, whereas mono is quite 'stretchy', and flouro has a little stretch. Part of the game design is exploration. There are many things that are not shown explicitly to the player as the player is meant to explore and experiment.

Here is a good article on the real life applications of the various line types: http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/tips/braid-vs-fluorocarbon-vs-monofilament/ It is a North American focused article, but should get you started.

Thanks for the reply,  i now get it, with reliable test and effective test.

Thank you, have a nice evening (or day ).

• Like 1

Where can I find or craft those strong FC leaders that are above the 17.4kg from the shop ?

2 hours ago, Largonaute said:

Where can I find or craft those strong FC leaders that are above the 17.4kg from the shop ?

Hello Largonaute,

You can craft stronger leaders yourself, for that you will need flourocarbon line that has more load capacity than 17.4kg, some Swivels and locks from the shop and a fish tool.

Line can be found in the shop under line, swivels and locks can be found in the shop under leaders and fish tool can be bought in the hardware shop.

Spoiler

image.png.5e73a48eb4594eee67104eb4c44ad578.pngimage.png.3d21c121c200544cd30623208001e124.png

After that you go to your crafting menu, find leaders, select what materials you want and craft them.

Spoiler

image.png.f7127f1db2066312eabf965766b46e3c.pngimage.thumb.png.62e671c740c9888f295e30eea5cafa4d.png

Also make sure that the swivel and lock that you are using has more load capacity than the line you are using since the load capacity will be selected by the lowest load capacity. For example if you use 27.7kg flouro line and 18kg swivel and lock your leader will have only 18kg load capacity.

Hope this explains what to do and helps you.

Best regards,

Gytautelis.

32 minutes ago, Farruko said:

Hi there. I have a little question. What is the leader for? 

@FarrukoA leader is used for several things, but it's most common usage is as a way to use a different line from the main line in order to capitalize on the properties of the material used. For example you could have a braid main line for its' strength, and then use a fluorocarbon leader for its' near invisibility. More advanced uses of the leader include altering the presentation of a bait. An example is using a short leader for certain types of cautious fish, such as Eels.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:01 AM, Gytautelis said:

Hello Largonaute,

You can craft stronger leaders yourself, for that you will need flourocarbon line that has more load capacity than 17.4kg, some Swivels and locks from the shop and a fish tool.

Line can be found in the shop under line, swivels and locks can be found in the shop under leaders and fish tool can be bought in the hardware shop.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5e73a48eb4594eee67104eb4c44ad578.pngimage.png.3d21c121c200544cd30623208001e124.png

After that you go to your crafting menu, find leaders, select what materials you want and craft them.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f7127f1db2066312eabf965766b46e3c.pngimage.thumb.png.62e671c740c9888f295e30eea5cafa4d.png

Also make sure that the swivel and lock that you are using has more load capacity than the line you are using since the load capacity will be selected by the lowest load capacity. For example if you use 27.7kg flouro line and 18kg swivel and lock your leader will have only 18kg load capacity.

Hope this explains what to do and helps you.

Best regards,

Gytautelis.

Thanks a lot.

So, assuming I will craft 5 leaders of 22.8kg, the cost for each one would be:

- tool: 386.8$ / 5=77$ + SW lock 27.1kg at 9$ + a 100m line of 22.8kg that is fully used (I guess) 141$ = 360$

That's quite an investment!

Pls confirm my understanding before I launch the operation.