Fishnatic

Lost line after leader breaks

Posted (edited)

Shouldn't the leader be the thing that broke after getting spooled using 32kg line and a 27.1kg leader? 

Now there's only 127m of line left- the spool was 300m at the start. I was off fighting another fish when I saw that I got spooled, came back and saw that the leader didn't do it's job. Or else I'm missing something- I'd greatly appreciate an explanation of what happened.

Line is 32kg Snake Heavy mono with 7.6% wear (which should add up to 29.57kg strength). Leader was 27.1kg with no wear. 167m of that line fits on the Tagara.

I'd still be able to use a 160m (ish) spool but 127 not so much. Also, the 127m of line that's left is 7.6% worn. If the game only leaves you the unused line it should be zero % worn. So it seems like the game gave me the short end of what was left and added wear to it. 

Edited by Fishnatic
checked wear on remaining line

All I know is that wear seems to spread over the entire line, not just the used part, so in theory a 1000m spool should/would wear slower than a 300 shoud/would.

But yeah imo one more of them things to drain your silver, I've come to expect them... if the coin is flipped, it's never to the players advantage, right?

1 hour ago, Fishnatic said:

Shouldn't the leader be the thing that broke after getting spooled using 32kg line and a 27.1kg leader? 

Now there's only 127m of line left- the spool was 300m at the start. I was off fighting another fish when I saw that I got spooled, came back and saw that the leader didn't do it's job. Or else I'm missing something- I'd greatly appreciate an explanation of what happened.

Line is 32kg Snake Heavy mono with 7.6% wear (which should add up to 29.57kg strength). Leader was 27.1kg with no wear. 167m of that line fits on the Tagara.

I'd still be able to use a 160m (ish) spool but 127 not so much. Also, the 127m of line that's left is 7.6% worn. If the game only leaves you the unused line it should be zero % worn. So it seems like the game gave me the short end of what was left and added wear to it. 

@FishnaticJust to confirm you were spooled correct?

18 minutes ago, Darkje said:

All I know is that wear seems to spread over the entire line, not just the used part, so in theory a 1000m spool should/would wear slower than a 300 shoud/would.

But yeah imo one more of them things to drain your silver, I've come to expect them... if the coin is flipped, it's never to the players advantage, right?

@DarkjeThis is for technical support, not for discussion. If you wish to discuss line mechanics and your opinions on them, please use our discussion forums. That is what they are for.

Posted (edited)

Hi Elwood, 

Yeah spooled on one rod while I was fighting a 34kg Stellate on another :)

Edited by Fishnatic

2 minutes ago, Fishnatic said:

Hi Elwood, 

Yeah spooled on one rod while I was fighting a 34kg Stellate on another :)

@FishnaticOk so no bug, the mechanics for getting spooled is that the knot is calculated at half the line capacity. So that is why your line broke instead of the leader. You are absolutely correct that if the break had occurred during the fight, the leader should have broke. But because of the spool event, the line capacity was calculated at half causing the break.

Posted (edited)

Whoa. Well, thanks for the explanation- I appreciate your time, not that the mechanic is the least bit reasonable. Not in the real world and not in a simulated real world lol. That's just stealing perfectly usable line. 

Edited by Fishnatic

14 hours ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

@FishnaticOk so no bug, the mechanics for getting spooled is that the knot is calculated at half the line capacity. So that is why your line broke instead of the leader. You are absolutely correct that if the break had occurred during the fight, the leader should have broke. But because of the spool event, the line capacity was calculated at half causing the break.

Sorry to drag this out but...

Is line capacity always calculated at half? Only when you get spooled? Can you explain how that makes sense? You explained how 167m of decent line (7.6% wear) was taken from my inventory but I think a lot of players would like to know the dev's logic behind that action.

For all players trying to put together a balanced setup-- should we calculate the line at half strength because of this mechanic? An explanation of what percentage need be applied to line strength, reels and rods should be published somewhere if it's not 1 to 1.

This is especially important if rod strengths have changed with the recent change to their flexibility.

Can you explain how that makes sense? You explained how 167m of decent line (7.6% wear) was taken from my inventory but I think a lot of players would like to know the dev's logic behind that action.

8 minutes ago, Fishnatic said:

Is line capacity always calculated at half? Only when you get spooled? Can you explain how that makes sense? You explained how 167m of decent line (7.6% wear) was taken from my inventory but I think a lot of players would like to know the dev's logic behind that action.

For all players trying to put together a balanced setup-- should we calculate the line at half strength because of this mechanic? An explanation of what percentage need be applied to line strength, reels and rods should be published somewhere if it's not 1 to 1.

This is especially important if rod strengths have changed with the recent change to their flexibility.

Ok so no bug, the mechanics for getting spooled is that the knot is calculated at half the line capacity.

For the line. If you are spooled, the ALL of the line on the spool is lost. The knot is what broke. Finally, this is speculation, but I suspect the main reason for calculating the knot at 50% strength of the line is to reduce the number of reels broken. Remember the drag rating of the reel does NOT equal the structural strength of the spool. The structural strength of the spool is a hidden number. There is a Russian spreadsheet out there where some enterprising players have calculated spool strengths through testing. By reducing the strength of the line once a player is spooled this will help reduce the amount of broken reels that occur.

Thanks Elwood. I rephrased my question but you quoted it before I could erase the dumb part 😁.

Your speculation makes sense but the final result, in the case of people getting spooled, is no bueno. Good that they tried to implement a way to protect reels but the removing of perfectly usable line is no bueno. 

1 minute ago, Fishnatic said:

Thanks Elwood. I rephrased my question but you quoted it before I could erase the dumb part 😁.

Your speculation makes sense but the final result, in the case of people getting spooled, is no bueno. Good that they tried to implement a way to protect reels but the removing of perfectly usable line is no bueno. 

@FishnaticUnfortunately, that is what happens IRL as well if you get spooled and the line breaks at the knot. Which is what is typically happens because if you fought the fish long enough to have every cm of line peeled off of your spool the knot is the weakest link at that point (obviously the line itself has withstood the strain). It is unfortunate, but it is what happens. If you think you are going to get spooled, you can cut your line early to save some of it, or you can roll the dice and hope that you can get the fish under control before it spools you.

I can see that but with a well tied knot and a leader that's lighter than the line it could be close. Regardless, they need to leave the untouched line at 0% since it's not even used. That'd be a good reason to buy 1000m spools. Anyhow- thanks for explaining all that.