Rockwell6

Advice for beginners on fishing the technic

I think what Rockwell6 is asking (and what I would like to find out as well) is: what's the difference between a line from the Leader material category (like US Braid Red Camo for example) and a regular line of the same characteristics (material, diameter, strength). Are they less visible to the fish?

3 hours ago, Crucian said:

Thinner leaders will yield better results in most situations, yes.

Your answer (and the FAQ) points out that leader diameter is actually the main deterring factor for the fish, which makes braid preferable in almost all cases as it's thinner. But what about fluoro, which is described as "invisible in the water" and is so popular among players? Is theres any use for fluorocarbon leaders outside of hinged or chod rigs where a stiff leader is needed?

1 hour ago, glasi said:

I think what Rockwell6 is asking (and what I would like to find out as well) is: what's the difference between a line from the Leader material category (like US Braid Red Camo for example) and a regular line of the same characteristics (material, diameter, strength). Are they less visible to the fish?

Your answer (and the FAQ) points out that leader diameter is actually the main deterring factor for the fish, which makes braid preferable in almost all cases as it's thinner. But what about fluoro, which is described as "invisible in the water" and is so popular among players? Is theres any use for fluorocarbon leaders outside of hinged or chod rigs where a stiff leader is needed?

Actually, he specifically asked about flourocarbon leaders, which is what I answered.  The FAQ states that the material is considered when making leaders and that flourocarbon has the least scare effect towards the fish.

I got a question long time running on my head but never asked. 😃

Does moving near shore or even watersplash and / or boatsound scares fish?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OwiHH said:

I got a question long time running on my head but never asked. 😃

Does moving near shore or even watersplash and / or boatsound scares fish?

as this has been asked previously on staff stream, fish aren't scared with sounds (only in very small diameter at the shore when you step in to a water)

Edited by Ragnarocek
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2021 at 1:45 AM, Crucian said:

Actually, he specifically asked about flourocarbon leaders, which is what I answered.  The FAQ states that the material is considered when making leaders and that flourocarbon has the least scare effect towards the fish.

I understand that material is considered as well, I was trying to figure how important it is compared to diameter.

Take two lines from the store, the brand  is less important:

One is fluoro, 0.45mm diameter and 12.3kg load

Second one is Braid, 0.18mm diameter and 12.2kg load

Given that they have almost the same load capacity, which one has the least scare factor. The "invisible" fluoro or the much thinner braid?

7 minutes ago, glasi said:

I understand that material is considered as well, I was trying to figure how important it is compared to diameter.

Take two lines from the store, the brand  is less important:

One is fluoro, 0.45mm diameter and 12.3kg load

Second one is Braid, 0.18mm diameter and 12.2kg load

Given that they have almost the same load capacity, which one has the least scare factor. The "invisible" fluoro or the much thinner braid?

You are overthinking here.  If you look at the FAQ it is specifically stated "cautious fish should be fished with fluorocarbon" and "fish that are not classified as cautious can be caught with steel / mesh or mono leaders without any problems".  So it depends on the species.

I see, so material takes precedence over diameter in the same kg range. In my example, fluoro would be preferred when fishing for cautious fish, even though it's much thicker.

Going back to my other question, which I think I may not have been clear enough:

In the shop there are some lines in their own category called "Leader materials" and come in rolls of lengths of 15-20m. Do these lines have any specific characteristics that make them more suitable for making into leaders than lines from the "Lines" category (the usual ones of 100m, 150m, 350m etc).

These are just for cost effectiveness so you don't have to buy an entire spool of line simply to make leaders.  The colored ones do not have an added effect at this point in time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, glasi said:

I see, so material takes precedence over diameter in the same kg range. In my example, fluoro would be preferred when fishing for cautious fish, even though it's much thicker.

Going back to my other question, which I think I may not have been clear enough:

In the shop there are some lines in their own category called "Leader materials" and come in rolls of lengths of 15-20m. Do these lines have any specific characteristics that make them more suitable for making into leaders than lines from the "Lines" category (the usual ones of 100m, 150m, 350m etc).

Yeah,  braid leaders that I make for carp fishing are usually 40-60cm. I'm still able to make multiple leaders with the small spool. With that said, if i need fluorocarbon leaders, i'll buy the smallest spool (which is still expensive) and then you have TONS of leaders, hours and hours and hours of fishing worth.

Thanks for the answers Crucian, helpful as usual.

And sorry got hijacking your post Rockwell.