Sign in to follow this  
jhendrix61978

Information about the disconnects and status of the work

Dear fishing friends, We have been working on solutions for the disconnect issues for quite some time to finally solve this problem. In most regions we have made marked improvements through the new protocols. In some regions like Germany there are still have some challenges. For some players, things have been improved by the new protocols and settings; unfortunately it is somewhat worse for others. The main factor here is the location of the player, not the region in which he is registered or plays. Player connection pass through nodes in various regions and some of those nodes are problematic. For example, the main problems in Germany are two main nodes through which the connection to our servers is made: One is located in the Frankfurt area, the other in Amsterdam. We have had some suggestions from players. For instance many players suggested a separate server in their particular country or region. That would hardly bring anything, since even after starting such a server it would still be passing through the problem nodes. In addition, that region would also be cut off from the rest of the regions, thus it would not have access to global records or the ability to join other region’s tournaments. Another suggestion was that we should extend the logs with buffers. We have already done that with RTCP. Among other things, this protocol controls bandwidth and buffering to provide a stable connection. Right now, we're creating an improved analysis tool that integrates directly into the game, so we get better data and do not have to constantly log it. RTCP will be revised and improved in parallel to get even more stable connections. Furthermore, we test various other possible solutions which are partly software and partly hardware based. As we have further developments we will keep you posted. Many Thanks and Tight Lines RF4 Team

• Thanks 2

i agree that would handy for when your bottom fishing and arent getting bites and think fish are just slow and go to eat and find out your no longer connected not knowing how long you been disconnected.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a lot of fluff.  I disconnect 6-10 times a day and live no were near Germany.  This should have been fixed weeks ago.

Edited by BigDrock

This was not a problem before though. It all started before summer this year sometime. Did you guys move the servers or has there been any changes to the code regarding performance over network around the time it all started? I have no issues with disconnects and I live in Norway, but I just want to help as all of us do.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:53 AM, BigDrock said:

Sounds like a lot of fluff.  I disconnect 6-10 times a day and live no were near Germany.  This should have been fixed weeks ago.

The Germany locations were an example of some nodes with issues, not the only ones with issues. 

7 hours ago, Kache said:

The Germany locations were an example of some nodes with issues, not the only ones with issues. 

I realize that.  The whole issue here is that the RF4 team will not publicly take any of this responsibility upon themselves.  I have only seen mods making support posts for players to check their routers, or players to send in information from their network.  Now it is being blamed on nodes around the world.  I have not changed my hardware, software, ISP, or anything since I first installed this game over a year and a half ago.  I am sure something was modified or changed on your end to cause these issues.  Perhaps you changed your server provider or something of that nature. 

I understand this game is in beta, but we are not talking about a groundbait bug or something that people can work around.  We are talking about the game virtually being unplayable for many people due to this disconnect issue.  I disconnect more times in one day than I did in the previous 1.5 years combined.  If you look at the steam stats page for you game, you can see you have lost about 40-50% of you playerbase since February due to various reasons, mostly lack of new content.  I understand that there is a separate standalone launcher as well, but people are people and the numbers have to be about the same for that as well.  Now we have a disconnect issue that has persisted for around 4 weeks now with no solution.  Each time there is a patch to try and address it, it has just made it worse for a lot of people.  In the 20 years I have been online gaming, I have never seen an issue of this nature persist for more than a few days before it was fixed by the development team.  The community just wants to see the game succeed and that is a big reason why it has become such a point of frustration for many people.  We want to play this game, we want to support its development, we want to work beside the dev team to see this game grow.  When you look at it from our point of view, it always feels as if changes and direction of this game only are to benefit the company and we as players are very rarely ever shown much compassion.  One perfect example was when the dead livebait bug was fixed but the groundbait bug was not.  The one that effected the dev team profits was addressed, while the one that effects players still lingers for over 2 years.  You put up posters and advertisement for new content in game, eg reels, boat motors etc, and then 6+ months goes by without even an word from RF4 on it. 

When your new team came on and took over, you had made a post about how things were going to different and better.  Right out of the gate there was nerfs to bleak.  Still no new content.  No bug fixes.  Now a game breaking issue in the disconnects that have persisted for around a month and the only feedback we get it is not RF4's fault but "nodes" around the world.  I don't know what it will take to remedy this disconnect issue, as I am not technically trained to do so.  I do however know as a consumer like myself, and others, we deserve better than waiting so long for such a serious issue to be resolved.  Many people, including me,  have thousands of hours and hundreds/thousands of dollars invested into the game and deserve a better product/service than what has been provided to us during this 2019 year.

I am not trying to start an fight or anything here.  As you can see, I have only posted on the forums 3 times in the 1.5+ years I have played this game.  I have been very understanding with the dev team and kept to myself in regards to all the issues that have caused me grief over the time I played.  I have got to a point now where the disconnects are so blatantly ruining my experience with the game that I felt something needed to be said.  I hope you recognize how detrimental the current state of the game is to the future of RF4, eg disconnects, bugs, massive spans of time with no content,  and put all your efforts into finding solutions in a timely fashion.  Priority obviously falls on a solution for the disconnects currently.  I want to continue to play this game, see it succeed and do great things, and I know other people I play with do as well.  What I feel the playerbase needs from the dev team at this moment is more honest communication, a roadmap on the future of this game with dates, and much quicker response times to the bugs and glitches.   This is what we need from you to regain our trust and hopefully see some of our fallen comrades return to a game they once loved.  I will not make any further posts in regards to how I feel about the current state of the game as I feel this sums it up fairly well.  I hope you take what I said to heart as I do love this game and know the people I play with do as well.  Even through these issues I have listed today, we still stand by your side and log on to play everyday.  It says a lot about the support we have shown RF4 over the years and all we ask if to be reciprocated back some of that effort and dedication we have put forth on our end.

Mic off.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I have no disconnect problems, but I really feel for all those players experiencing this, especially those new players who has not played this game at all.

Have the Devs looked at the Unity3D code?

You did an update to the version of Unity3D about 2 months ago. In reference there is several issues with Unity and players getting disconnects on several forums online. One example, might be a bit old, is this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44635674/unet-randomly-disconnects

Have the Devs looked at the physical servers?

If I remember correctly you did some bigger change to your servers / hardware 2 months ago which caused a +/- 4hour downtime of the game. What happened there? Moved to another location or what?

Edited by Rudolf Nansen
  • Like 1

The spinning wheel of death bug, or disconnects started appearing , for some players, directly after the patch with the Unity3D update.  Were the problem nodes a problem prior to that?  Because we weren't getting the disconnects prior to that patch.  Anybody like to bet that a rollback to the pre Unity3D update would cure the current disconnect problems?  That would of course mean admitting that it was the software update that caused it all in the first place.  Over 15 disconnects today, wasted HH and boat tickets,

Enough is enough, roll back or fix it.

• Like 2

just hj already fell about 10 times with me, already sent ticket with output_log and nothing to solve the problem, the disappointments are happening to me after the last update I had, I want to play in peace just like I always played

How is this still a thing after a month of being in game?  Honestly just feels like no one on the development team cares about the future of this game at all at this point. 

3 hours ago, BigDrock said:

How is this still a thing after a month of being in game?  Honestly just feels like no one on the development team cares about the future of this game at all at this point. 

I've come to the conclusion there is no "team"  Maybe in the beginning they had 3 or 4 working on this game, but now it's basically just one guy who is probably overwhelmed. 

Prove me wrong "RF4 TEAM".., release a video and introduce yourselves to the community like many game developers do,  and explain to us what your vision is moving forward with this project.  Why is that so hard to do?   Prove the naysayers wrong that this game is about to crash and burn, especially against upcoming competing fishing games. 

We're waiting...but not much longer.