sirfishalot

Reeling in speed on fish

Probably the worse thing for me is the speed at which you retrieve the fish once it has given up the fight as an example I caught a 27 kg Mirror Carp Which too 9 in game hours to get to the net. 5 hours was for the most part just watching a burning red flame as line was churning off the reel but it stopped and for the next 4 hours was reeling a dead weight back across the water . It felt like it was coming back 1 inch at a time. There is no inertia on the fish in the water. Even if you pump the rod to move the fish all that happens is the rod lifts the fish doesn't move. Is there any chance this process can be sped up . All the while fatigue bar speeds towards red why? The fish isn't fighting its just sitting in the water like a submerged tree trunk. It isn't any fun at all . Thanks ūüôā

you know that you can set speed retrieve for the reel?

1 hour ago, OwiHH said:

you know that you can set speed retrieve for the reel?

Not for reeling in a fish. It's set automatically during the fight.

20 hours ago, Goregrinder said:

Not for reeling in a fish. It's set automatically during the fight.

but the last set reelspeed applies to the fight if im correct.

21 hours ago, OwiHH said:

but the last set reelspeed applies to the fight if im correct.

No, an optimum speed is set automatically by the game.

realy? why is that? Makes no sense to me to implement such mechanism.

18 hours ago, OwiHH said:

realy? why is that? Makes no sense to me to implement such mechanism.

So the game sets the real speed at optimum for the current pressure on the gear. As you fight if you pay attention you will see the reel go slower when pressure is high, and faster when it is low. This is also affected by the gear ratio of the reel, lower gear ratio reels have more torque and so can maintain a steadier reel speed at times. You can always speed up the reel speed by holding shift, but be careful with this. If the fish is taking drag, then holding shift and reeling dramatically effects the wear on the brake.

• Like 2

Makes no difference at the point the fish is a dead weight which should never be the case because a fish is weightless in water. so it should just come back pretty easy not take hours to reel in. Sadly since my last post. I realise this game will never change and the Devs are pretty much hard coded in the way the game portrays itself. I had to make a decision do I just ignore every fish that is going to take more time than is cost effective and just fish for tiddlers or do I uninstall the game and hope to god someone actually makes one correctly. I choose the later. It is supposed to be a fun sport . You should try this IRL yourselves you might see how wrong this game is.

5 hours ago, sirfishalot said:

Makes no difference at the point the fish is a dead weight which should never be the case because a fish is weightless in water. so it should just come back pretty easy not take hours to reel in. Sadly since my last post. I realise this game will never change and the Devs are pretty much hard coded in the way the game portrays itself. I had to make a decision do I just ignore every fish that is going to take more time than is cost effective and just fish for tiddlers or do I uninstall the game and hope to god someone actually makes one correctly. I choose the later. It is supposed to be a fun sport . You should try this IRL yourselves you might see how wrong this game is.

You can have your opinion, but I do need to correct you on one fact - a fish is most certainly not weightless in water. Basically the apparent weight of a fish in water is the weight of the fish minus the buoyant force (this can get more interesting depending on how many forces you want to model). Now even if a fish is dead weight and is not fighting the force it exerts on the tackle will be a function of it's apparent weight, drag (friction) and the angle at which the line is connected to the fish. And just to be clear I mean drag in the water i.e. the resistance of the fish being pulled through the water.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

You can have your opinion, but I do need to correct you on one fact - a fish is most certainly not weightless in water. Basically the apparent weight of a fish in water is the weight of the fish minus the buoyant force (this can get more interesting depending on how many forces you want to model). Now even if a fish is dead weight and is not fighting the force it exerts on the tackle will be a function of it's apparent weight, drag (friction) and the angle at which the line is connected to the fish. And just to be clear I mean drag in the water i.e. the resistance of the fish being pulled through the water.

Not to mention current drift and or weather parameters.

9 hours ago, sirfishalot said:

I get your point, but there is equipment in the game meant for bigger fish. And I assume you're talking about carp when you're talking about reeling in taking forever.

When there is a very big carp on the end of your line, you have to take advantage of the physics. The reel alone usually won't be able to crank it in, you will see it slowly clicking even though the fish is dead weight. You have to pull the fish with your rod and reel in the slack. Repeatedly pull the rod back then reel in the slack and it will come in eventually. 

If you only rely on the reel to bring in the fish, then it will take 2-3x longer to bring the fish in. Once you can upgrade to a more powerful, lower gear ratio reel, you will notice the difference.