m3dic

Casting Reels

Tell us your experience with the different casting reels and ask anything regarding them in here.

Hello, I'm looking at my first baitcasting rig. I was thinking about the Express Fishing Winner LP to combo with a Fortuna CST 66MH (I'm collecting all the Fortuna series). Is it a good reel? What is its "breaking point"? I don't know how to calculate it based on the quality stars, but it looks to be a low quality reel so I guess I can't push it above 1.5x max drag. It will be a starter reel, then I will save for a better quality reel that I can push up to 14kg drag to accomodate the rod's strenght. 

Any impressions/experiences with this reel? I see this thread is empty but I know some players who already are in baitcasting. Share your knowledge guys. 

Thanks. 

I would like to give LP with a light gear a try, but I wouldn't do that with such a low-quality reel. I will save for a Zeiman GS 9Kg and a cardena cst with +25% exp.

Most of us that are into baitcasting started with a SteelHead 16Kg with a model one casting rod.

I have only tried the beginner items, cheap and cheerful but heavily limited to where and what you can fish for. I have found that casting is a lot more accurate and further while retrieval of lures seem to be more responsive. Fighting fish :Chub of around 3kg can be dragged in quite easily using the most basic of equipment. Asp and other hard fighting fish can be an issue from time to time. I have pulled in pike up to 3kg and they are difficult but feel easier than using a comparable standard spinning reel. This might all be a placebo effect, but the reel itself feels sturdier *Tested using an Express Fishing Starter Reel / Vision CST 66MH and 10kg Hybrid Green braid*

Before you invest in expensive goods, go out on a limb and invest in a very cheap setup. It wont cost you a lot and will give you an idea of what to expect. Honestly, I really enjoy the setup and use it exclusively when my other stuff is in for repair. I feel it is a necessary advancement from spinning reels and rods, just expect an increase in price also. Oh the other good thing is that the friction brake seems much more robust. All around a great advancement and fun way to move on from the default spinning application from spinning reels. 

Edited by Hookjaw Jim

@Aibehn spinning and casting are not my progress priority so I won't invest so many silver until I will have high feeder skills/equipment. That's why I was thinking about low cost equipment to give it a try but to not feel too much limited. Let's say I will use this equipment between Rivulet and Burg, where there is plenty of space to follow big catches without risk to get spooled and break stuff. 

May I ask by the way what makes the Zeiman GS 9kg (4000+ silver worth) better than the steelhead 16kg (2000+ silver worth) reel?

@Hookjaw Jim that's exactly what I was thinking. To try low level equipment and see if it's worth to invest more time into this technique. Thank you for sharing. 

@JunkyJuke There're two types of casting:

- LP ( Low profile ). Very light reels with limited drag. They're intended to use them on light rods that give you some bonus, like experience.

- Classic Baitcasting. Very big and high drag reels. These're the standard casting setups.

If spinning it's not your priority I wouldn't invest any money or points into casting. Just stick with standard spinning. If you still want to try it, don't go with Low Profile, just use classic baitcasting.

I would save my money and save for trident everest II, so u can use it while feeder fishing, and when you occasionally do spinning ( combined with an evora rod). 

Edited by Aibehn
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

Ok, so is there a way to know what's the maximum drag tolerance of a reel based on its quality? I have been said that a reel quality can raise the weight it can hold by x1.5 x2 or even x3 based on the stars. What's the formula behind this? Because I would like to know what my reels can do and extract the best performance from them. Same happens for my next casting reel. There are many reels that show the same max drag but they have different quality levels. By eg a Zodiac 5000 shows 7kg and 3 stars and the Express Fishing Winner shows same 7kg but it is less than 2 stars. I know I should put a 7kg line on them to raise their durability but what if the first one can hold say x2 and the second one x1.5? it would change a lot their application and pair perfectly with certain rod models. 

I know the risks of pushing reels above their safe limits, but the game offers a certain level of freedom and that's what I love of RF4. You can go extreme and go safe, it's up to you. So please may I have some technical clarifications on the breaking point calculation?

Thanks

No way to know, only testing... you can go safe around 1.3-1.5x, that way you can use braid line with more than 100m and still reach 29 on the reel brake.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

No way to know, only testing...

You mean breaking stuff to see how it works? 9_9

No thanks, I wish to read my expensive reel's technical informations on the instructions book, but there is not such a book. By now I will try to stay in the safe range of "a bit more of the max drag" as you suggest. 

• Like 2

Is there a difference of quality between brands if both reels have the same star count?

I'm trying to decide which reel to buy between the ZM-Steelness ZMS60 and Trident Billionaire.

The billionaire is less expansive, same star count, a bit bigger (18kg vs 17.5kg) but a bit slower retrieve (5.1:1 vs 5.3:1). 

Thanks!

14 hours ago, PL69 said:

Is there a difference of quality between brands if both reels have the same star count?

I'm trying to decide which reel to buy between the ZM-Steelness ZMS60 and Trident Billionaire.

The billionaire is less expansive, same star count, a bit bigger (18kg vs 17.5kg) but a bit slower retrieve (5.1:1 vs 5.3:1). 

Thanks!

I am pretty sure the difference is going to be in the specs of the reels at that point speed,spool size and max drag.

Is it possible to get a dev or admin to comment on why the spool sizes (line capacity) on the Baitcasting reels (Steelness eg. but others as well) only holds a tiny amount of line, compared to RL reels. For my comparison I picked the Shimano Tiagra 50A, which is a, on size, perfect match to compare the Zeiman Steelness. The Shimano holds 600yds/50lbs (550m/23kg) of mono line and 1135yds/80lbs (1038m/36kg) of braid. The Zeiman Steelness holds less than 6x the capacity. What's the reason for this ? I mean, that's a huge nerf in terms of capacity.

So I got the answer from LadyOfGames, who found my question flawed.

I didn't wanted her to elaborate more on it, in her twitch stream as she serves other people too, so I take it back here.

I really want to know WHY you think it's flawed to ask this question or that being flawed that I compare RL fishing / Equipment to RF4.

As far as I'm concerned all fishing related techniques including pretty much 95% of the items you can get is modelled and spec'd from RL similar items, yet my question apparently doesn't match that, so a RL comparison can't be used for my question.

The answer to my question was that in RL you don't catch so many fish as you do in RF4, so for that reason she saw no comparison between a RF4 reel and RL one. Really ?

So it's just a coincidence that all low profile baitcasting reels, despite what you said, which was wrong, are between 90 and 110% accurate from a RL one. Same goes for many of the Spinning Reels. Just for the fun of it. Try and look at the models of an Alpha 8000 spool and the Steelness spool. The Alpha holds way more line, even though the model is much smaller.

So there must be a reason why the bait casters are nerfed in line capacity. Would it be too easy, if you cannot get spooled ? If so, then just say it ? I mean the lack of transparency is mind-blowing. It's not like I'm asking about the mechanics on catching fish.

I hope you find time to actually bring an honest answer.

Cheers

46 minutes ago, Quickai said:

I didn't wanted her to elaborate more on it, in her twitch stream as she serves other people too, so I take it back here.

I really want to know WHY you think it's flawed to ask this question or that being flawed that I compare RL fishing / Equipment to RF4.

As far as I'm concerned all fishing related techniques including pretty much 95% of the items you can get is modelled and spec'd from RL similar items, yet my question apparently doesn't match that, so a RL comparison can't be used for my question.

The answer to my question was that in RL you don't catch so many fish as you do in RF4, so for that reason she saw no comparison between a RF4 reel and RL one. Really ?

So it's just a coincidence that all low profile baitcasting reels, despite what you said, which was wrong, are between 90 and 110% accurate from a RL one. Same goes for many of the Spinning Reels. Just for the fun of it. Try and look at the models of an Alpha 8000 spool and the Steelness spool. The Alpha holds way more line, even though the model is much smaller.

So there must be a reason why the bait casters are nerfed in line capacity. Would it be too easy, if you cannot get spooled ? If so, then just say it ? I mean the lack of transparency is mind-blowing. It's not like I'm asking about the mechanics on catching fish.

Cheers

Hi Quickai

They are probably made this way in the game as they would be to OP if they had a larger spool size. As far as RF4 is trying to be as much realistic as possible it is still a game so some things in the game might differ a bit when compared to real live equipment or just overall fishing experience. 

Regards

Levo

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Levo said:

Hi Quickai

They are probably made this way in the game as they would be to OP if they had a larger spool size. As far as RF4 is trying to be as much realistic as possible it is still a game so some things in the game might differ a bit when compared to real live equipment or just overall fishing experience. 

Regards

Levo

thanks for the answer Levo. Nice and honest.

14 hours ago, Quickai said:

Spoiler

Cheers

Greetings Quickai

I said I found your reasoning flawed. You reasoned that the ingame Zeiman reel looked a lot like the real life Shimano reel. But the real life Shimano reel could hold a lot more line than the ingame Zeiman reel. So we had nerfed the Zeiman reel (by 6 times) and you demanded to know why. That is flawed.

We didn't nerf the Zeiman reel. The Zeiman reel is as is. It's an ingame item. It isn't a real life item, even though it resembles a real life brand of reel. Therefore you cannot compare the two, then say we nerfed the ingame item. 

My apologies if I didn't make that clear to you, I hope this plus Levo's answer, helps you. 

36 minutes ago, LadyofGames said:

Greetings Quickai

I said I found your reasoning flawed. You reasoned that the ingame Zeiman reel looked a lot like the real life Shimano reel. But the real life Shimano reel could hold a lot more line than the ingame Zeiman reel. So we had nerfed the Zeiman reel (by 6 times) and you demanded to know why. That is flawed.

We didn't nerf the Zeiman reel. The Zeiman reel is as is. It's an ingame item. It isn't a real life item, even though it resembles a real life brand of reel. Therefore you cannot compare the two, then say we nerfed the ingame item. 

My apologies if I didn't make that clear to you, I hope this plus Levo's answer, helps you. 

Yes I understand that it's a balance issue, to prevent Big baitcasting reels to be OP and never run out of line.

Cheers

5 hours ago, JunkyJuke said:

What does the test parameter of LP reels refer to? I'm planning to set up my UL gear.

Hi JunkyJuke

It means the weight of the lure that reel can handle best - cast far. To cast far lures that weight, for example, 5g+ will be best to find the reel that got the test from 5g. So if you making setup and your rod test is from 10-20g, the best choice will be trying to find a reel with test 10g + or less for that rod.

Regards

Levo

• Thanks 1

I have just upgraded my Ice Bolt SIB-HSR LP reel to the Trident Mayor YMC-R for my Zeiman Versa CF70UL Rod. Now whenever i hook a fish, The rod jerks violently regardless of the size of fish. I have not changed any other part of the setup. The new reel is only 0.5kg above the max load of the rod and i have tried lower line strengths other than the one pictured but it is still happening. Have i just wasted nearly 3k silver on a garbage reel? Any advice would be great.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11300_20181216_210516.png

6 hours ago, Jonesy0575Twitch said:

I have just upgraded my Ice Bolt SIB-HSR LP reel to the Trident Mayor YMC-R for my Zeiman Versa CF70UL Rod. Now whenever i hook a fish, The rod jerks violently regardless of the size of fish. I have not changed any other part of the setup. The new reel is only 0.5kg above the max load of the rod and i have tried lower line strengths other than the one pictured but it is still happening. Have i just wasted nearly 3k silver on a garbage reel? Any advice would be great.

Hide contents

rf4_4.0.11300_20181216_210516.png

The line should be close to 8 kg or under by atleast .5 kg. that may stop the rod from doing what you had described. Having the 9.2 kg line on the rod which is rated at 8 kg you are also more likely to break the rod or reel when you hook something big. The leader being under 8 kg is not going to help with the difference. I have ultra light setups and the weight of rod is what determines the line i put on them that way i wont run the risk of breaking the rod or reel.

16 hours ago, irishman said:

The line should be close to 8 kg or under by atleast .5 kg. that may stop the rod from doing what you had described. Having the 9.2 kg line on the rod which is rated at 8 kg you are also more likely to break the rod or reel when you hook something big. The leader being under 8 kg is not going to help with the difference. I have ultra light setups and the weight of rod is what determines the line i put on them that way i wont run the risk of breaking the rod or reel.

Many thanks for the advice. I will put some different line on to see if it helps.

3 hours ago, Jonesy0575Twitch said:

Many thanks for the advice. I will put some different line on to see if it helps.

@Jonesy0575TwitchWe reviewed the video as I told you we would and that is normal on some setups. What is happening is the fish is taking advantage of the flexibility of the rod. As stated in the stream - put some bend in that rod to reduce the available 'flex' on the rod so the fish will not jerk it around. Or use less drag as you did early on in the fight. I personally recommend bend in the rod, as it does help tire the fish faster as well.