Reel retrieve rate

LordV

Just wondering if the retrieve rate set on a reel is line speed or rate of handle turning. Obviously the first one would be independent of reel type or spool diameter whilst the latter would be dependent on both.

Brian V

• Administrator
4 hours ago, LordV said:

Just wondering if the retrieve rate set on a reel is line speed or rate of handle turning. Obviously the first one would be independent of reel type or spool diameter whilst the latter would be dependent on both.

Brian V

The retrieve rate is based on gear ratio and spool size. Lower ratios take less line but have better torque. Faster ratios take more line. Spool size is also a factor here. Match your gear ratio to the type of fishing you are doing. Lower gear ratios really shine with slower presentations and trolling. Faster gear ratios work for aggressive presentations and some presentations that use the rod tip for action allowing you to pull slack in much faster. Please note that some conventional reels have dual gear ratios allowing you to crank up the torque when bringing in a larger fish.

Thanks for the reply- so if I understand you correctly- the retrieve speed set using R+ mouse wheel is a measure of reel handle rotation so if I want to set the same linear speed on a lure when spin fishing with different reels, I need to take into account the retrieve speed, the spool diameter and the gear ratio ?

Brian V.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, LordV said:

Thanks for the reply- so if I understand you correctly- the retrieve speed set using R+ mouse wheel is a measure of reel handle rotation so if I want to set the same linear speed on a lure when spin fishing with different reels, I need to take into account the retrieve speed, the spool diameter and the gear ratio ?

Brian V.

Yes 50 on a 7.1:1 reel is faster than 50 on a 6.4:1 reel if spool sizes are the same.