[GUIDE] New Spot Feeding Mechanics

Elwoodiath2

• Administrator

Introduction:

Greetings All! This guide is a brief introduction to the new feeding mechanics introduced in our latest patch. Before reading this guide, please read the user guide here http://rf4game.com/userguide/ to get an overview on the new mechanics introduced. It may appear daunting at first but the new system actually allows a player to cultivate a spot to fit their needs.

Overview

Every spot in RF4 as experienced players already know, has fish of different species at different frequencies. These spots change as fish migrate around the map. With the new feeding system a player can tune the feed to attract more fish, or attract larger ones and cultivate a spot to fit their needs. Please note that cultivating a spot that does not have a good population to begin with can be wasted effort and conversely feeding spot that already has a great population can yield big results! The technique described here is only one of many players may discover. 

Step 1:

First you need to determine a good spot and what baits are working. User the marker rod to determine the bottom type and tune your presentation and rig for that type. This will help you tune the rest of your feeding methods. 

Step 2:

Decide what strategy you are going to employ in developing your spot. Do you want a good bite rate, or are you more interested in trophy hunting?

Step 3:

Now that you know what the fish are eating, and what strategy you are going to employ, you can craft your materials. Begin by crafting some PVA boilie stringers. These attach to the end of your line and act like a trail of bread crumbs. These should be of the same type as your hookbait. Using soluble or explosive boilies of the same flavor as your hook bait can increase the attractiveness by releasing more scent into the water. Use bigger boilies to target larger fish, or smaller boilies to improve quantity.

After creating your stringers, create a dry ground bait. If you are looking for multiple species, use a base that is attractive to many fish, if you are looking at a specific species then tune the base to attract that fish type. Ensure you use the bait grinder to crush up boilies that you are using as a hook bait to add to the mix. Finally the pellets you add also help tune the mix for the size of fish. Smaller pellets attract a larger range of sizes, and larger pellets select for larger fish. Experiment with the pellet size to catch fish in the range you are looking for.

Load up your catapult or cobra with boilies / pellets that you are using as hook bait.

Step 4:

Putting it all together.

1. Throw out your rigs. Be sure you have added the PVA stringers to them. Ensure the rigs are correct for the bottom type to maximize their effectiveness.
  2. After throwing out your rigs, use your spod rod to feed the area around them. cast three times putting bait on and around the area where your lines are.
  3. Then take your cobra or catapult and put about 15 to 20 bolies in the same area. Think of these as free samples. Remember, size will help select for more or larger fish.
  4. Every 15 to 20 hours refresh your feed.

If you have identified a hot bite time for the fish you can throw a little extra feed out during the prime time to produce even more action!

By doing this you can create an area of activity that brings in the fish you are looking for and you can tune it to meet your needs. This is only one method. There are many other combinations that one can experiment with. Don't be afraid to try new things - it may yield big results!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Crossthereeyes said:

got a question if you dry mix a spot then have groundbait in your cage feeders.Will the groundbait in your cage feeders cancel out the dry mix and remove it ?

In my understanding once you cast a different mix in the area the original would effect, the effect is canceled and the system uses the effect of the most recent mix casted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Admins wrote million times in different guides, that "if the new gb land on the same area and has different ingredients, then it will override the original gb". And now this guide tell us, to use some kind of PVA (there are boilis in the PVA) then create a dry mix (obviously with different ingredients), then use a slingshot or a cobra and deliver there some boilis (assuming the same type of boilies as in the PVA). So in this case what is the point in using the dry mix, since it will override the PVA, then the cobra will set back the PVA's effect , since it has the same boilis then the PVA?

Thank you.

Other issue:

This is from the user guide:

"Make the dry mixture with groundbaiting pellets of three different sizes, e.g. 3 mm, 7 mm, and 12 mm. ... This mixture contains large fractions,"

From Elwoodiath2's guide:

Small particles up to 16mm:

• Feed pellets
  • Additives such as bloodworms, chopped worms
  • Basic mixtures such as linseed, corn flour

Large particles from 16mm:

• Whole boilies
  • Pellets that are also used as bait
  • PVA stringer
  • Feeding with a boiling pipe / sling

So a pellet, what I can buy from the shop in the grundbait/addicitves category is a small or a large particle?

Thank you

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Zed895 said:

Admins wrote million times in different guides, that "if the new gb land on the same area and has different ingredients, then it will override the original gb". And now this guide tell us, to use some kind of PVA (there are boilis in the PVA) then create a dry mix (obviously with different ingredients), then use a slingshot or a cobra and deliver there some boilis (assuming the same type of boilies as in the PVA). So in this case what is the point in using the dry mix, since it will override the PVA, then the cobra will set back the PVA's effect , since it has the same boilis then the PVA?

Thank you.

The guide above says use a PVA stringer, dry mix in a spod, and boilies via a cobra. None of these will cancel each other. The PVA stringer are boilies attached to your rig in a way to ensure they land near the hook. From the post "Begin by crafting some PVA boilie stringers. These attach to the end of your line and act like a trail of bread crumbs. ". Then use a dry mix, then throw boilies out again. 

If you are referring to the old generic pellets from before the changes for Amber Lake, they act like they did in the past. They don't act in the same way as the newer particles with specific sizes.

1 hour ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

The guide above says use a PVA stringer, dry mix in a spod, and boilies via a cobra. None of these will cancel each other. The PVA stringer are boilies attached to your rig in a way to ensure they land near the hook. From the post "Begin by crafting some PVA boilie stringers. These attach to the end of your line and act like a trail of bread crumbs. ". Then use a dry mix, then throw boilies out again. 

If you are referring to the old generic pellets from before the changes for Amber Lake, they act like they did in the past. They don't act in the same way as the newer particles with specific sizes.

Thank you for your reply. So even if the dry mix consist of other stuffs than the boilies in the PVA, they will not overwrite the PVA? So it works on a different way then previously did, or PVA never was considered as GB, not like boilies?

Could you clarify my second question as well, about the pellet sizes? (I do not know which pellet (the feed or the bait version) is considered as 'generic'?

Thank you.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Zed895 said:

Thank you for your reply. So even if the dry mix consist of other stuffs than the boilies in the PVA, they will not overwrite the PVA? So it works on a different way then previously did, or PVA never was considered as GB, not like boilies?

Could you clarify my second question as well, about the pellet sizes? (I do not know which pellet (the feed or the bait version) is considered as 'generic'?

Thank you.

The PVA Stringer is not a mix, it is boilies. Since you are referencing my post, you need to understand that we are not talking about a PVA bag with a dry mix in it, we are talking about a PVA Stringer which is described below:

2 hours ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

"Begin by crafting some PVA boilie stringers. These attach to the end of your line and act like a trail of bread crumbs. "

There are two types of generic pellets: the feed from winding, and the generic pellets that you can get from the tackle shop. In both cases sizes are not specified. When you shop for additives if there is a size, then that will follow the rules from the other post you referenced.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

The PVA Stringer is not a mix, it is boilies. Since you are referencing my post, you need to understand that we are not talking about a PVA bag with a dry mix in it, we are talking about a PVA Stringer which is described below:

There are two types of generic pellets: the feed from winding, and the generic pellets that you can get from the tackle shop. In both cases sizes are not specified. When you shop for additives if there is a size, then that will follow the rules from the other post you referenced.

So the boili question is clarified: boilies are not considered as mixes (this makes sense), so I do not have to worry about the override effect. Except in one case: when the boili is an ingredient of a mix, in this case another mix can overrite it, am I right?

About pellets: I was not refering to the thing you can buy at Winding rivulet. I was speaking about two other types of pellets: the ones which are among the baits in the tackle shop and the ones which are among the additivies in the tackle shop. In the English version of the game both called 'pellet'.

As per your reply only those have a size which are among the additivies. OK. In your guide you wrote that 'feed pellets' are small. I assume these are the Winding ones.

It is also clear from your guide that bait-type of pellets ('Pellets that are also used as bait') are large.

As per your current reply it is clear that the additive -type of pellets have their size and as per your guide it is large if it is above 16mm, otherwise it is small.

I just ask it since I would like to filter to big fish. So in this case I should not use pellets from Winding, but I should use pellets from the bait section of the tackle shop since they are large. In this case the only thing which is not clear that why does the user manual states the "groundbaiting pellets of three different sizes, e.g. 3 mm, 7 mm, and 12 mm" are large, since they are not the not the bait ones, so they do not have size (as per your reply, if I understand well) and they are especialy not above 16 mm...

I apologize if it seems that I am a bit dummy, but I feel that we are getting closer and closer to the solution 🙂

Thank you again!

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Zed895 said:

So the boili question is clarified: boilies are not considered as mixes (this makes sense), so I do not have to worry about the override effect. Except in one case: when the boili is an ingredient of a mix, in this case another mix can overrite it, am I right?

About pellets: I was not refering to the thing you can buy at Winding rivulet. I was speaking about two other types of pellets: the ones which are among the baits in the tackle shop and the ones which are among the additivies in the tackle shop. In the English version of the game both called 'pellet'.

As per your reply only those have a size which are among the additivies. OK. In your guide you wrote that 'feed pellets' are small. I assume these are the Winding ones.

It is also clear from your guide that bait-type of pellets ('Pellets that are also used as bait') are large.

As per your current reply it is clear that the additive -type of pellets have their size and as per your guide it is large if it is above 16mm, otherwise it is small.

I just ask it since I would like to filter to big fish. So in this case I should not use pellets from Winding, but I should use pellets from the bait section of the tackle shop since they are large. In this case the only thing which is not clear that why does the user manual states the "groundbaiting pellets of three different sizes, e.g. 3 mm, 7 mm, and 12 mm" are large, since they are not the not the bait ones, so they do not have size (as per your reply, if I understand well) and they are especialy not above 16 mm...

I apologize if it seems that I am a bit dummy, but I feel that we are getting closer and closer to the solution 🙂

Thank you again!

1. Mixes with different recipes cancel each other out.
  2. When you buy pellets, whether bait or additives they have sizes except for the one generic pellet additive. So from the guide you quoted 16mm or less is small, over 16mm is large. There is no possible way I can list out all possibilities here. There are so many things considered particles in the shop in so many different sizes. Just use the size to determine if it is 'large' or 'small'.

Please note 'large' or 'small' is a general rule and dependent on the species you are targeting. 8mm would be 'large' for a bream, but tiny for a carp. This game's feed mechanics are complex, and the guides we provided are simple guides to get you started. You will need to use your own judgement, data collection and observations to determine what is working best for you.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, Elwoodiath2 said:

Introduction:

Greetings All! This guide is a brief introduction to the new feeding mechanics introduced in our latest patch. Before reading this guide, please read the user guide here http://rf4game.com/userguide/ to get an overview on the new mechanics introduced. It may appear daunting at first but the new system actually allows a player to cultivate a spot to fit their needs.

Overview

Every spot in RF4 as experienced players already know, has fish of different species at different frequencies. These spots change as fish migrate around the map. With the new feeding system a player can tune the feed to attract more fish, or attract larger ones and cultivate a spot to fit their needs. Please note that cultivating a spot that does not have a good population to begin with can be wasted effort and conversely feeding spot that already has a great population can yield big results! The technique described here is only one of many players may discover. 

Step 1:

First you need to determine a good spot and what baits are working. User the marker rod to determine the bottom type and tune your presentation and rig for that type. This will help you tune the rest of your feeding methods. 

Step 2:

Decide what strategy you are going to employ in developing your spot. Do you want a good bite rate, or are you more interested in trophy hunting?

Step 3:

Now that you know what the fish are eating, and what strategy you are going to employ, you can craft your materials. Begin by crafting some PVA boilie stringers. These attach to the end of your line and act like a trail of bread crumbs. These should be of the same type as your hookbait. Using soluble or explosive boilies of the same flavor as your hook bait can increase the attractiveness by releasing more scent into the water. Use bigger boilies to target larger fish, or smaller boilies to improve quantity.

After creating your stringers, create a dry ground bait. If you are looking for multiple species, use a base that is attractive to many fish, if you are looking at a specific species then tune the base to attract that fish type. Ensure you use the bait grinder to crush up boilies that you are using as a hook bait to add to the mix. Finally the pellets you add also help tune the mix for the size of fish. Smaller pellets attract a larger range of sizes, and larger pellets select for larger fish. Experiment with the pellet size to catch fish in the range you are looking for.

Load up your catapult or cobra with boilies / pellets that you are using as hook bait.

Step 4:

Putting it all together.

1. Throw out your rigs. Be sure you have added the PVA stringers to them. Ensure the rigs are correct for the bottom type to maximize their effectiveness.
  2. After throwing out your rigs, use your spod rod to feed the area around them. cast three times putting bait on and around the area where your lines are.
  3. Then take your cobra or catapult and put about 15 to 20 bolies in the same area. Think of these as free samples. Remember, size will help select for more or larger fish.
  4. Every 15 to 20 hours refresh your feed.

If you have identified a hot bite time for the fish you can throw a little extra feed out during the prime time to produce even more action!

By doing this you can create an area of activity that brings in the fish you are looking for and you can tune it to meet your needs. This is only one method. There are many other combinations that one can experiment with. Don't be afraid to try new things - it may yield big results!

Hello, Elwoodiath2, can you help me pls, do i need to use PVA sticks every time im throwing in, or just once in 15-20 hours?

Thank you very much