Hairy Sasquatch

Float fishing for Carp with Match rods

As you may have noticed, float fishing for carps with the match rods now works differently with certain setups.

Float Carp Hair Rig

rf4_4.0.13635_20191204_184922.thumb.png.3d6af8f3c758effd1569a55bc9231ba8.png

Carp Pop Up Rig

rf4_4.0.13635_20191204_185416.thumb.png.1fd5337790351b3cdb2da757f329071c.png

Depth and why it matters

I am fishing Amber Lake at 64:94 and I know that there are fish 30m to 40m out from the peg.

I set my casting clip to 35m.

From the use of the marker rod, I know that the depth at that spot is 2.05m, so i set the line fishing depth to 2.25m

These two setups have the sinker sitting on the bottom, with the leader and baits trailing from it, either lying on the bottom, or floating just above.

You can think of it as bottom fishing, using the float as a bite indicator.

Cast out your tackle, and reel in slightly until the float tip is showing.   If your depth is set to deep, the float will lie on the surface.

The float presentation is slightly different than you may be used to, with just the tip showing on most float choices.

rf4_4.0.13635_20191204_191731.thumb.png.f47d3c48abc66b926b3d96edb8a418f8.png

When the fish takes the bait, a few things can happen with the float.

If the fish takes the bait and lifts the sinker off the bottom, then the float will start to rise in the water, and may even lay flat.

If the fish is taking the bait away or at an angle, the float may dance a while then sink.

rf4_4.0.13635_20191204_185209.thumb.png.ee42be863d52fa86e8681664b6eb191b.png

rf4_4.0.13635_20191204_185215.thumb.png.36114ebba4382c3fc8485dd747c5be24.png

The bite is also different.  Unless the fish takes the bait and swims directly away from you, it will usually not hook itself like it can when bottom fishing with carp rods.

The fish may play with the bait for quite a while before finally taking it.   Choose the time for hookset carefully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spinning 4 E said:

How can it work? You have a flot that can take a weight that is far more less the weight u have in ur rig.

If you have your depth set correctly it should still function as stated in the guide.

Your way to use float is the same that using a bell in bottom fishing I can't see how it can be useful.. The only adwantage i cab have it's to use less weight.

17 minutes ago, Spinning 4 E said:

In your example you are using a pop up rig.

One of the setups in the example is using a hair rig.  Have you tried using it?

In this method of fishing, the float is used as a bite indicator, instead of the bells or alarms.

The float method is actually a lot more sensitive to some bites than if you are using a standard rig with weight and bell.

For example, when a carp takes the bait and lifts it straight up off the floor.   With standard rig, you wont get the alarm going off, and if lucky, you may see the line going slack.

With a carp match float rig, the carp does the same take, and the float lifts and then lays flat on the water.

Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, Spinning 4 E said:

Your way to use float is the same that using a bell in bottom fishing I can't see how it can be useful.. The only adwantage i cab have it's to use less weight.

Some people like to float fish and some like to bottom rod fishing. It is not so much about being more or less useful as it is having options to suit peoples tastes.

• Like 1

This is a very unreliable style of fishing. More than half of the times you can't even hook the fish despite a strong bite.

I've tried to:

- Leave the rod on the ground, and just strike as the first action after I pick it up

- Pick it up while the fish is playing with it, and strike when the float goes away (if you don't disturb the rod and the fish just leaves).

None of these gave me any half-decent hook rates.

Too bad, this looked like a fun style of fishing, but it turns out its a complete waste of time and silver.

To anyone who wants to invest into match-rods, reconsider.

2/10

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Matchrod fishing is anyways broken since the implementation of Amber Lake and the change which came with it.

Only Hardcore Players who can't let go because they invested to much time/silver/gold into that skill and the therefor needed Gear are still using it.

That said, Matchrod Fishing especially for Carps was due the double bait option + increased XP for Float fishing a long Time overpowered.

But ruining it in order to make other Methods more viable was the wrong way of adapting it and that was simply what they did.

Feeling bad for you that you did not knew it, RIP your invested Time.

Edited by ф_ф
  • Like 3

matchrod fishing really need to do something, its almost impossible to set up hook (in strong current) and fish playing with bait a while then missed hook set up most of the time. Bait is on the bottom (same as feeder fishing) but fish does not hook it self! in my opinion matchrod fishing is useless atm. rip my invested time and money 😞

• Like 3

I agree, this has completly destroyed the match rod fishin. I have 3x Monster Match rods, and Vengas invested. But after this update all was destroyed by the fact you nerfed it so hard you can't set the hook correctly, and it's worse in currents. And the fact that PVA is so damn buffed in this game also makes me extremely angry since you are forcing people into the most boring method in this game, bottom fishing.

I'm sorry but this post just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm measuring from a different place on the rig or something. So here's my thinking.

Your marker says from the surface of the water to the bottom is 2.05m

So this means from the bottom of your float (surface of water) your bait would have to travel 2.05 depth to hit bottom.

However you add a 20cm leader on, which means you now have 20cm of leader between the bottom of your float (surface of water) to your bait.

Which means your bait is now hanging from the bottom of the float down into the water 20cm.

Which means your bait no longer has to travel 2.05m to hit bottom.

Since your bait is now hanging down in the water 20cm, your bait would have to travel 2.05m (depth) - 20cm (leader length) = 1.85m for the bait to touch the bottom.

You state you want the leader to lay on the bottom as well. So for the leader to lay on the bottom we would add the leader length back in, which is 1.85m + 20cm = 2.05m not 2.25m.

So from the way you are explaining it, by adding in the leader length to the 2.05m to make a depth of 2.25m you would have the bait on bottom, the leader on bottom, with an extra 20cm of regular line laying on the bottom as well. Is this correct?

The only way I see the original post working like it's explained is if the bait is still seen as starting at the surface of the water, even though it has a leader on.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:38 AM, MysticNightmare__ said:

I'm sorry but this post just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm measuring from a different place on the rig or something. So here's my thinking.

Your marker says from the surface of the water to the bottom is 2.05m

So this means from the bottom of your float (surface of water) your bait would have to travel 2.05 depth to hit bottom.

However you add a 20cm leader on, which means you now have 20cm of leader between the bottom of your float (surface of water) to your bait.

Which means your bait is now hanging from the bottom of the float down into the water 20cm.

Which means your bait no longer has to travel 2.05m to hit bottom.

Since your bait is now hanging down in the water 20cm, your bait would have to travel 2.05m (depth) - 20cm (leader length) = 1.85m for the bait to touch the bottom.

You state you want the leader to lay on the bottom as well. So for the leader to lay on the bottom we would add the leader length back in, which is 1.85m + 20cm = 2.05m not 2.25m.

So from the way you are explaining it, by adding in the leader length to the 2.05m to make a depth of 2.25m you would have the bait on bottom, the leader on bottom, with an extra 20cm of regular line laying on the bottom as well. Is this correct?

The only way I see the original post working like it's explained is if the bait is still seen as starting at the surface of the water, even though it has a leader on.

Hello,
The way the leader enters on the equation there is that he is added as a minimum depth, so yes, we still count from the surface.
Also, we said to add the leader depth in order to see the bobber the way we used to see before the changes, if you don't mind just the top part of the float showing out of the water, you can use less depth.

1.35m on a 1.35m place with 60cm leader

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.21c7f5aa66d6636bdc3e9c8f294d694c.png

1.95m on a 1.35m place with 60cm leader

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8c0ab2ab13ba2648f5db30bb9e8e4262.png

Regards,
Pindobinha.