"Rig is cut off by fish teeth" at Yama where there are no pike. Bug or can other fish bite through leaders?

While fishing match rods on Yama, I got two fish running. As I was fighting one of them, the leader was cut and "Rig cut off by fish teeth" message shown in chat box. Since there are no pike at Yama, is this a bug or are other fish able to bite through leaders? Here are screen shots of the message in chat and my set up and a very short video showing it happening. Video 

Screenshot (582)fish teeth at yama.png

Screenshot (584fish teeth setup).png

• Like 2

• Administrator

Many fish can bite through leaders, but pike are the best at that particular skill. I would say catfish are the second best at this particular skill. I have lost several of them in the past due to them biting through a lighter leader.

32 minutes ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

Many fish can bite through leaders, but pike are the best at that particular skill. I would say catfish are the second best at this particular skill. I have lost several of them in the past due to them biting through a lighter leader.

Nonsense... catfish has its teeth back in its throat... how could it bite the leader? It is ok for me that fish with big teeth bite the leader (extreamly raerly of course -if it is not a pike) but catfish??

34 minutes ago, Elwoodiath2 said:

Thanks for the reply. I think there has been a fairly widespread belief that only pike can bite through leaders/line. This helps clarify the situation. 

• Administrator

@Zed895Please watch your tone, as for nonsense, catfish have an abrasive plate on their jaws that can indeed grind through line, and skin. In the US you'll want gloves to handle large catfish to avoid scraping your hands up.