Callaghan1

Connection issues

Most of the time, the game works flawlessly, but sometimes, seemingly when many people are playing because of covid or on a busy weekend, I have connection issues. I am located in Vietnam (at the moment). I have all the latest windows updates and made sure that my network adapter is using the latest drivers too. I haven't made any recent hardware changes, the problem just seems to appear out of nowhere sometimes.
Sometimes it takes a long time to load profile, and then when it does load I lose connection to server after a few mins, especially when I open the tackle shop or anything else that has a lot of data.
I do not experience any crashes. It's purely a network issue I think. Should I be using a particular DNS server? I think I am on the google public server right now.

I tried the basic troubleshooting steps, cleared DNS cache, checked that my wifi router has the latest firmware (I use a LAN cable anyway), and renewed the IP address (not sure it was successful but I followed the steps correctly). 

I'm using the Steam version. I downloaded the diagnostic tool and put it in the root folder of the RF4 in the steam apps folder, and ran as administrator.

I will update this post as needed.

Ok some more detail. In the past when there have been network issues, I noticed it straight away because player names wouldn't load quickly enough, taking gear out would lag etc.

This time it's different. Player names are there from the start, but the stores especially the tackle shop wont load and will invariably make me lose connection to the server. WHen I catch a fish, it takes ages to load, and swapping parts out on my rig also has a lot of lag.

1 hour ago, Callaghan1 said:

Ok some more detail. In the past when there have been network issues, I noticed it straight away because player names wouldn't load quickly enough, taking gear out would lag etc.

This time it's different. Player names are there from the start, but the stores especially the tackle shop wont load and will invariably make me lose connection to the server. WHen I catch a fish, it takes ages to load, and swapping parts out on my rig also has a lot of lag.

Hello - please try this post: https://rf4game.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2507-network-and-connection-problems/ 

You have admitted this problem is intermittent. You have also conflated your problem with 'alot' of users being on but you have no way of knowing that. Also, during this pandemic many internet backbone providers are throttling traffic to ensure everyone has access. Even with your logs, we can't really troubleshoot intermittent connection issues that are not related to our servers. Our servers have not had any problems recently. The support we can offer is limited.

Posted (edited)

I have already tried everything in that post. It's obvious there are more users playing than normal, steam stats make that very easy to see. I'm not conflating anything. Is there nothing in the diagnostic logs that reveal what the issue is? I already made it clear that this time it's different to the other times that I, and many other players have had issues. Normally we can tell through the player names not loading. This is a different issue.

I have followed the process as requested and uploaded the logs, what do they reveal?

Edited by Callaghan1

29 minutes ago, Callaghan1 said:

I have already tried everything in that post. It's obvious there are more users playing than normal, steam stats make that very easy to see. I'm not conflating anything. Is there nothing in the diagnostic logs that reveal what the issue is? I already made it clear that this time it's different to the other times that I, and many other players have had issues. Normally we can tell through the player names not loading. This is a different issue.

I have followed the process as requested and uploaded the logs, what do they reveal?

Just that you are having intermittent problems connecting to us. There is nothing wrong with our servers, and you have followed the steps. This indicates a problem between you and us. Your ping times show interesting spikes in latency, and your pathping shows that this hop: 118.70.1.173 is only sending 1% of packets. As I stated earlier there is nothing we can do. This problem is between you and us. You could contact your ISP, but I doubt they have control over the hops that are showing issues.