I noticed that you are having spam posts on forums every day. Isnt it possible to include some kind of simple logic questions with the registration on forums so that bots cant make accounts?

Ive seen this kind of protection and it seems to work.

hello @ZedMcJack, those spamming accounts are real people and not bots, so captcha or some questions on reg. form are useless... but... there are services that are blocking "toxic" IPs and its users from registering and that is the only way how to prevent this kind of spam.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ragnarocek said:

hello @ZedMcJack, those spamming accounts are real people and not bots, so captcha or some questions on reg. form are useless... but... there are services that are blocking "toxic" IPs and its users from registering and that is the only way how to prevent this kind of spam.

The problem now with IPs is that it's really easy to change with proxys or VPNs...

Maybe something like "you can write a post only every 5 minutes", it would maybe discourage massive spamming?

Just now, Goregrinder said:

The problem now with IPs is that it's really easy to change with proxys or VPNs...

Maybe something like "you can write a post only every 5 minutes", it would maybe discourage massive spamming?

proxies and VPNs can be blocked too 🙂 I know one large forums where was this issue present... and was solved as described in my previous post 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarocek said:

proxies and VPNs can be blocked too 🙂 I know one large forums where was this issue present... and was solved as described in my previous post 😉

Oh it's nice then 🙂 .

Guest Cap_L

Good regularly changed captcha devices, forum software linked to SFS database and active mods covering various timezones will effectively remove 99% of it.

You can introduce posting for new users only available after admins or mods checked their posts. So their post is in line to be checked by the admin or mod. After they approved it its visible and after 5-10 posts its not needed to check anymore.

• Like 1

Just weighing in here as a long time forum software developer/designer over the last 15 years.

Step 1: Keep forum software updated at all times, forum software vulnerabilities are released like the plague on the web and spammers eat it up.

Step 2: Utilize the latest and greatest options from the forum software creators themselves, in this case; IPS Spam Defense. Learn it and put it to use, you would be surprised how effective it can be.

Step 3: You can help eliminate spam bots, human or not, but removing their ability to even find your forum in the first place. 99.9% of them have no idea who we are here or what we do. Spammers, or their scripts, crawl the web looking for signatures of known forum software and their version numbers to identify and target their victims. Removing all traces of the name and versions from metadata, files, and even the "Powered by Invision Community" in the footer. A google search for those 4 words will yield infinite victim websites to spam, should they be specifically targeting this forum software. A script could gather tens of thousands very quickly.

As a last ditch, or easier, method you could even add a simple bespoke question and answer field on registration about literally anything that someone playing this game would easily be able to answer and eliminate most, if not all, of the automated registrations/posting. This forum specifically is their only point of entry/signup so it would only need to be added here. Anyone who joins via steam or other methods would never even see it. Something as simple as a word scramble "prech" -> "perch" or "What fish is this? P*rch". Possibilities are endless and easy to do.

My 2 pennies

• Like 1

I see that nothing happened regards this spam posts. Everyday there are spam posts. Can we get an official response about it?

On 1/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, ZedMcJack said:

I see that nothing happened regards this spam posts. Everyday there are spam posts. Can we get an official response about it?

Dont know what else to post, the spam is still here, the official response was that we do not click the links etc. Is it that hard to employ "first 10 posts goes through admin" policy? With that we wont see the spam, only admins.

Something needs doing as the forum is becoming unuseable due to the high levels of spam, I now tend to wait until it's been removed by an admin before bothering to read anything. I can understand it will be just as frustrating for admin too having to remove it all the time.

When we click to ignore post from a user it still shows in unread post, Any way to set it so that if we ignore a user it removes it from the "unread" section? No idea if this is possible.

1 hour ago, ZedMcJack said:

Dont know what else to post, the spam is still here, the official response was that we do not click the links etc. Is it that hard to employ "first 10 posts goes through admin" policy? With that we wont see the spam, only admins.

1 hour ago, JaggedRiz said:

Something needs doing as the forum is becoming unuseable due to the high levels of spam, I now tend to wait until it's been removed by an admin before bothering to read anything. I can understand it will be just as frustrating for admin too having to remove it all the time.

When we click to ignore post from a user it still shows in unread post, Any way to set it so that if we ignore a user it removes it from the "unread" section? No idea if this is possible.

Unfortunately, for now this problem persists. We understand the players are frustrated but these posts do not help. We are keenly aware that this impacts the players. This has been escalated, and hopefully we will reach a solution.

• Like 4