Sign in to follow this  
LadyofGames

Freshwater Crayfish

crawfish_b.thumb.png.297b3d4ee0a6b2920340bad4a9c17a25.png

The Freshwater Crayfish is common in water bodies of the temperate latitudes and partially the southern stretches of the northern hemisphere. Its native range includes most parts of Europe, the basins of the Caspian Sea, the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, rivers and lakes of Western Siberia.
The crayfish lives in clean flowing water with sufficient content of oxygen and mineral salts. It makes burrows under snags or buries itself in silt or sand. They are a nocturnal creature. In summer, it lives in the shallows, in winter, it moves to deeper areas. It feeds mainly on plants, yet it preys on insects, worms and tadpoles. Often it eats carrion. The crayfish smells decaying frogs and fish from a long distance. The body of a crayfish, consisting of the cephalothorax and the jointed flat abdomen, is protected by a hard chitin shell. There is a sharp rostrum on the head segment with two long thin antennas on its sides. Its coloration may vary depending on water color, usually it is greenish brown or dark tawny red-yellow. The front pair of legs bears the large chelae, that the crayfish uses for defense and attack.
Large specimens reach a length of 20 cm.

I caught some of these wile spinning, but now i'm trying to catch them with my float set up. No luck so far, anyone got some tips on how to catch them? thanks

8 hours ago, Strings said:

I caught some of these wile spinning, but now i'm trying to catch them with my float set up. No luck so far, anyone got some tips on how to catch them? thanks

I've only caught one one feeders on a Large(2) hook on a regular worm, but other than that I don't know. I seen people catch them on float on worms though, but I don't know how successful they are.

Edited by Wanpug

7 hours ago, Wanpug said:

I've only caught one one feeders on a Large(2) hook on a regular worm, but other than that I don't know. I seen people catch them on float on worms though, but I don't know how successful they are.

thanks, ill try a bigger hook and see if that makes the difference

I would like for all of you to collocate our trophies to have more information about each fish, not just the record table, we will surely see baits and maps that do not appear in the record table

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.9342_20180222_223829.png

Got several trophies those late days at Volkhov :

- night

- deep (10m)

- feeder rod

- hook 6

- NC or FP

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11300_20181214_175905.thumb.png.b7a9fb12bd58f72b80332666d27170a3.png

One night fishing = around 100 silver

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11300_20181214_181911.thumb.png.a78611ba74c89fc275cc62963e1c568c.png

• Like 3

Tried a bit around at Tuba 101:57 the actual russian sturgeon spot (clip 25).

25 Minutes with 3x Fish pieces + standard expensive sturgeon PVA resulted into 9 Crayfish Tails and those 2 beauties:

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11882_20190416_004314.thumb.png.88a41e04c88f90be34a6fd10a4a91382.png

• Like 3

Caught this baby at volk. seems like they are completely random but fish pieces do seem to get pretty constant hits.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.11882_20190416_190731.png

• Like 2