FastFisherman

False/Ghost Bites On US Region

This issue I am describing comes in the form of typical bites that would set the hook on bottom fishing but instead are missed for an unknown reason. What makes this even more frustrating is the fact that bigger fish seem to cause this more by bending the rod over even quicker. As soon as the rod is bent over almost fully the line will simply go slack and drop in the water. When beloribitsa whitefish fishing, I have even has line be taken and the fish still get away. Also, the "Fish got away" message never appears in chat when this happens. I assume these false bites are caused by the large delay of high ping by being a member of the US region. If any work could be looked into to at least lessen this occurrence I would greatly appreciate it as I have lost many trophy fish to this unavoidable event. In the past, this has been a much rarer occurrence for me than it is now. (Additionally I have a high speed ethernet connection so this is not caused by my internet)

I've noticed this too for carps for example, but for smaller species too, like breams/ides/whitefishes.

I don't know if it's a real issue or not. In real life, you will miss tons of bites for unknown reasons (small and big fishes).

Maybe the "fish got away" message doesn't appear, because the fish simply did not hook itself, just having the bait in the mouth and pulling on the line.

8 hours ago, FastFisherman said:

This issue I am describing comes in the form of typical bites that would set the hook on bottom fishing but instead are missed for an unknown reason. What makes this even more frustrating is the fact that bigger fish seem to cause this more by bending the rod over even quicker. As soon as the rod is bent over almost fully the line will simply go slack and drop in the water. When beloribitsa whitefish fishing, I have even has line be taken and the fish still get away. Also, the "Fish got away" message never appears in chat when this happens. I assume these false bites are caused by the large delay of high ping by being a member of the US region. If any work could be looked into to at least lessen this occurrence I would greatly appreciate it as I have lost many trophy fish to this unavoidable event. In the past, this has been a much rarer occurrence for me than it is now. (Additionally I have a high speed ethernet connection so this is not caused by my internet)

Goregrinder is correct. The reason you do not get the fish got away message is that the fish has not been hooked yet. The best way to reduce these occurrences is to be patient and wait for the bite to be fully engaged. When you pick up the rod you can press the R key, and if an error pops up the fish is hooked. If you do not get an error, place the rod back down and tighten the line. In the end you will lose fish from time to time this the nature of the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FastFisherman said:

When this occurs, my rods are fully set on the ground. I am not striking too quickly. The fish simply gets away on it's own strike.

Yeah, it happens. The rod even bends, and the tension is suddenly released as the bait comes out of the fish's mouth. Happens irl as well, with all fishing methods (float, bottom, carp rigs, live/dead baitfishes). The fish has not been hooked, that's all. It depends on how the fish took the bait in its mouth.

2 minutes ago, Goregrinder said:

Yeah, it happens. The rod even bends, and the tension is suddenly released as the bait comes out of the fish's mouth. Happens irl as well, with all fishing methods (float, bottom, carp rigs, live/dead baitfishes). The fish has not been hooked, that's all. It depends on how the fish took the bait in its mouth.

Happens to me a lot too, just life lol

Could hook type/size also play a part in this?

6 minutes ago, JaggedRiz said:

Happens to me a lot too, just life lol

Could hook type/size also play a part in this?

Yeah I think so, even the lenght of the leader has an effect on this I think.

About carp hooks, there are specific hooks depending if you use classic or pop-up/other rigs.

For example the Zenith Mugga hooks seem to be made for pop-up rigs (read the description):

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.15541_20201221_145546.thumb.png.321e8a879b4fc9bc8765b9c2ad54672e.png

But even with the right kind of hook, false bites/failed strikes will happen anyway.

How many times I got my boilies stolen by carps IRL... depends of the fishes! Some fishes are super cautious, they will take the bait between the lips without taking the hook in the mouth, they begin to pull and bye bye boilie ^^.

The same for live/dead baitfishes, particularly if you use simple hooks (not triple).

• Like 2

And then there are the ghost nibbles...
Could you please make it so that you only the bite/running off with the bait and not get the endless nibbling?

4 hours ago, darkneon2002 said:

Could you please make it so that you only the bite/running off with the bait and not get the endless nibbling?

As has been stated many times, this game is meant to be a simulation. Because of this some behaviors that are also frustrating in real life - like the endless nibble will be in the game. Thankfully, in RF4 if you are patient the nibble almost always turns into a bite eventually, unlike in RL where you can watch a fish bump a bait for 15 minutes then wander off as they changed their mind. This game rewards patience and perseverance which is what separates it from other titles. We fully understand this is not for everyone and it is ok that you do not like it. Changes to these mechanics are unlikely. While balancing populations and bait / lure preferences happen on a regular basis, the core mechanics are not likely to be changed as much.

Some things you can do when bottom fishing to help speed this process along include:

• Choosing the right leader / hook size for the fish you are targeting.
  • Choosing the correct bait.
  • Choosing to fish in the correct weather conditions.
  • Choosing to fish in the correct time of day.
  • Tightening the line a bit if the nibble is taking too long for your taste. I find the best results are had when the fish stops nibbling for a moment. Tightening the line then often results in a more aggressive reaction from the fish. 
  • Watching the line closely instead of surfing the web. Often times the line goes slack and the indicator does not go off. By paying close attention you can capture those fish as well instead of losing bait.
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 4:39 AM, darkneon2002 said:

I found that maximizing your auto-hooking will prevent the endless nibbles. This means using the appropriate hooks and shortening your leader will help the fish hook themselves. Also, especially when carp fishing, the use of certain sinkers can help with your auto hooking.

In cases where you can see the fish that's doing the nibbling (float), sometimes I'll bump the line and run him off on purpose so the next fish comes along with a better appetite. Obviously this works because you can see the size of the fish and you can't with feeder, but it might be worth it if you're after silver per hour. $0.02

Float fishing is far more time wasted from fish playing with the bait to the point it is not cost effective to fish with floats. I mean sure I fish IRL where on the odd occasion and do mean odd occasion a fish will be pecking at the bait or the shots on the line but i normally reel in a few turns or recast. But the game i have regularly had 3 rods 2 feeders 1 float where the bite on the float is still bobbing up and down whilst I have had 3 fish 3 bites on the other 2 rods and this can go on for hour at a time. And I don't know who feeds you the stories that carp nibble bait because I am a carp match angler. when a carp bites you know about it esp on the float you dont see it coming and the rod will almost jerk from your hand that is how fast they are . 🙂