White Bream

LadyofGames

s.bream_m.thumb.png.3592d4a13377d9f5bfa131e924fd7c56.png

The White Bream is a fish of the cyprinid family. It inhabits rivers and lakes of Europe, the basins of the Northern Sea, the Baltic Sea, the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. Its Russian name “gustera” is derived from the word “gusto”, meaning “dense”, as in autumn and in spring white bream gathers in huge shoals. It prefers deep quiet waterbodies with a lot of greenery and a silted or clay bottom.
Its diet is a mixed one: plants, mollusks, worms, insect larvae.
The white bream is closely related and similar to other bream. It is distinguished by two rows of pharyngeal teeth, slightly bigger scales, fewer branched rays in dorsal and anal fins. The body is strongly flattened, its color is silvery, unpaired fins are gray, pectoral and pelvic fins are reddish.
Normal maximum size of a white bream living in temperate latitudes is up to 30 cm and its weight is up to 400 g. Large specimens weight about 1.2 kg.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised no one spent a couple words about White Breams. 

So let's talk about them. This sneaky little ones seem to rarely surpass the 200gr size, making them a risky deal. The specific groundbait recipe is very expensive and since they  usually live over long distances, in deep holes, it's almost impossible to area feed them and I have to put groundbait balls into the feeders (1 cast = 1 ball). At the end of the  journey I often go at loss and it's very rare to accomplish an order because of low size. I found a good spot at Old Burg Lake (the 5 meters deep hole to the west) but the population is mainly made of small undersized exemplars.

Let's put some numbers together to see if the WB's are worth a dedicated session.

Water body: Old Burg Lake

Session lenght: two nights and two days

Equipment: two light picker rods (feeder rig), one light feeder rod (feeder rig)

Groudbait: 60 balls of White Bream mix (around 50 silver investiment)

Bait: worms and maggots

Tackle: 0.12 mm braid line, size 10 hooks.

Total WB cought: 38 of wich 11 trophy sized, the rest was underweight. 

Total WB income: 25 silver

Total keepnet income (mixed fish): 40 silver

Result: about 10 silver loss for two days of fishing

This session was very standard, I usually go for breams/silver breams/white breams at Old Burg only when there's zero activity around my best spots. And 9 times on 10 I go at loss if I use white bream mix as groundbait. I think the price of materials for groundbait are too high for a fish that small and mandatory. Maybe the best solution is to never choose WB as target fish and focus on other species that share the same habitat, like roach, ide, deep water big game like catfish and burbot. One thing is for shure, White Bream groundbait is not worth it, but the fish itself is nice and tricky to catch on ultra light equipment. 

Maybe there is something I'm missing to make a better selection of WB size but for now I'll stay away from WB groundbait. If someone has some suggestions about equipment and such it is always welcome!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8.3.2018 at 11:34 PM, Nawrly17 said:

For these guys I recommend using a #6 hook. You will catch an endless stream of them if you are using the right bait, (along with some trophy silver bream as well).

if u are saying "right bait" why dont you write out some of the most successful ones? :D

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

atm we are experimenting with baits and groundbaits, but getting way too much roaches

for the moment is think 39:45 Mosq is better...
i can easily get 100 fish in 1 hour, with in-line i get trophies too, and anything over 1kg is worth it...
for me a 700+ WB is 700-ish xp... but its rare now. a decent crucian gives you 400+... and you get like 4-7 in 2 minutes using the best bait... PER ROD :)

im not good with math, but hit up a windows calc or go there and see for yourself

5 hours ago, thbd said:

atm we are experimenting with baits and groundbaits, but getting way too much roaches

for the moment is think 39:45 Mosq is better...
i can easily get 100 fish in 1 hour, with in-line i get trophies too, and anything over 1kg is worth it...
for me a 700+ WB is 700-ish xp... but its rare now. a decent crucian gives you 400+... and you get like 4-7 in 2 minutes using the best bait... PER ROD :)

im not good with math, but hit up a windows calc or go there and see for yourself

@thbd

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Regards, Butcher™

• Like 1