asp_m.thumb.png.5ebb3d35ef59a8c56d9e87772f4454a3.png

The Asp is a fish of the Cyprinid family. It is common in Europe (in the basins of the Northern Sea, the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea). It inhabits rivers on flatlands and seldom lakes. Asp avoid standing water. It is a nimble predator, yet it has no teeth, therefore it hunts using an original technique often called “bashing”. Rashly bumping into a shoal of small fish, an asp knocks its prey senseless by a strike of its strong and wide tail.  It leaps out of water, spreading the rays of its dorsal and caudal fins and falls back, catching stunned fish. Sometimes asps display cooperative hunting. This species prefers hunting near whitewater and rapids. It feeds mainly on bleak, gudgeon and roach.
Asp has an elongated body, covered with small scales. Its back is blush gray, dorsal and caudal fins are gray, pelvic and anal fins are reddish. The mouth is big, the lower jaw is protruded forward and ends up with a tubercle, that helps the fish to grab and hold its prey. The asp is a large fish, it reaches a length of 80 cm and a weight of more than 10 kg. Its average weight is about 3 to 5 kg.

43 minutes ago, krokenosterfant2 said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have some tips on how to catch asp especially in Volkov? It's a fish I have struggled to catch. Thanks in advance and tight lines

google is good to see how to Catch them..

3 hours ago, krokenosterfant2 said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have some tips on how to catch asp especially in Volkov? It's a fish I have struggled to catch. Thanks in advance and tight lines

I have caught many from eastern riverbed just trolling with spoons. Always look to the records to see what they are biting.

They seem to be totally random like chubs. So they will eventually bite your lure, no matter what lure: Hunter, Terminator, Hypnotic, Funky, Hijacker, SlimShot and some hand made lures. 

• Thanks 1

Asp are bitting nicely at Volkhov, 96:127. I got a 4 and 7.55kg and a few smaller there now on a hunter 1 002, 19kg braid and 13kg flouro leader. The trophy is going for 190 silver but will wait for an order if it pops up in time

Good asp at 110:110 using fluoro line with hunter 1 010
Last time I've been there I was able to catch 10 in less than a hour + some ok-ish zander = $170 profit
Very nice fight and money

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.9636_20180403_040026.thumb.png.71ac82b5a2f2d2039ca662532ecea45c.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I love live bait fishing!!! What a catch!! 130g Crucian used :) 2nd place absolute!!

Reveal hidden contents

rf4_4.0.10149_20180626_215639.png

Hi Enzo Matrix

Very nice fish !!! Congrats.

And some players claim that livebait is broken .... as you can see guys it is clearly not... Agian well done !!!

Regards

Levo

• Like 1

Also something to note, asp love shallow waters, so if you're targeting them specifically, jigstepping or trolling shallow water with the appropriate spoon or crank for the weather should give you a very nice haul. 

That being said, fish are constantly moving around Volkov and can be hard to find. My advice is so troll until you get a decent bite (not a perch) and post up there for a while. 

Happy fishing lads /)

Edited by LazyPhilosopher
Typing on phones is hard

6 hours ago, Altairstar said:

Two questions:

1. They have really good sight IRL, so assume fluorocarbon leader is kind of must have?

2. Do we have a chance to hear/see splashes when they feed on shallows?

@AltairstarYes on flouro. No on hearing/seeing splashes at this time. The game is still in Beta and not all features and mechanics are complete.

12 hours ago, DavidHUN said:

So anyone know a good spot and setup for Asp on Winding Rivulet? 

Thanks for the reply

@DavidHUNPlease go here: https://rf4game.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1276-winding-rivulet-in-search-of-big-asp/. That is the direct link to my guide on Asp at Winding Rivulet. In that forum you will find other guides for other species and bodies of water written by the moderation team.

Finally got my trophy ASP. Volkhov, trolling along the 3m hole next to the starting pier. Warm rainy evening:

Spoiler

fishie:

JH1tEtk.png

setup:

rpxDgug.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1