n.pike_m.thumb.png.589675e457c3471ba55928e2d69c3069.png

The Pike, also known as the Northern Pike, has one of the widest native ranges among freshwater fish species (it includes Northern Europe, Asia and America). Pike prefer lakes and rivers with weak currents. It occurs in brackish water (the Gulf of Finland and the Gulf of Riga of the Baltic Sea, the Sea of Azov). However, sufficient oxygenation is a mandatory condition.
Pike are an ambush predators, hunting in riparian thickets, under snags, near fallen trees on sloping areas on the bottom. It avoids strong currents. Its diet is based on fish of other species (and sometimes of its own), frogs, crustaceans. Occasional attacks on ducks, mice and squirrels are also known.
Pike can reach a length of 1.5 m and a weight up to 35 kg. An average specimen weights about 5 to 8 kg. The body is elongated and arrow-shaped. Its long and flat head resembles that of a crocodile. The specific of the species is that pike's teeth change throughout its life. Its coloration is blotchy and ranges from grayish green to tawny grey. There are lighter stripes along and across its body. The main color depends on the surrounding vegetation. The back is dark, the belly is whitish with gray flecks. Dorsal, anal and caudal fins are brownish with black spots. Pectoral and pelvic fins are yellowish red.

So im trying to catch one with nightcrawlers, but not allot of luck so far. Im using a match rod with a big 0/4 hook. Maybe someone caught one and wanne share some info?

2 hours ago, Strings said:

So im trying to catch one with nightcrawlers, but not allot of luck so far. Im using a match rod with a big 0/4 hook. Maybe someone caught one and wanne share some info?

i have caught pike's on spin fishing setups. the only time i know that people have caught pike on bottom feeders is when they are using live bait.

9 hours ago, irishman said:

i have caught pike's on spin fishing setups. the only time i know that people have caught pike on bottom feeders is when they are using live bait.

Yeah i got pike with spin fishing aswell. But the description of the Nightcrawlers tells me it attracts pike as well so im trying to get one on them, I had one really strong bite on it yesterday but I reacted to late. If i get one ill post some proof over here :)

Curious also if we can get pike on any sort of feeder setup. Id imagine only live bait would be effective but i hear right now live bait is pretty unrewarding?

22 60 Sura river . Bait roach. Hook large 1. leader 22kg steel

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10144_20180615_012525.png

• Like 2

Not as nice as above, Volkhov at railway area using the purple minnow lure.. forget name lol. caught this a bit ago. My first trophy pike.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10097_20180605_134756.png

• Like 1

On 2018-06-18 at 3:51 PM, Airis said:

22 60 Sura river . Bait roach. Hook large 1. leader 22kg steel

Hide contents

rf4_4.0.10144_20180615_012525.png

Hey just curious did you fish in the 3m water or right near the shore? I’m trying this spot myself

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Hey just curious did you fish in the 3m water or right near the shore? I’m trying this spot myself

Hey , Not in 3 m , 40-60% cast. At 3m hole I get zanders/sturgeons on roaches.

Edited by Airis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Airis said:

Hey , Not in 3 m , 40-60% cast. At 3m hole I get zanders/sturgeons on roaches.

Ok so in the shallow part is where the pike was? I’ll give that a try :)

• Like 1

old burg with baitfish: roach, perch, crucian and white bream. very good spot.

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10498_20180820_004913.png

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10498_20180820_003741.png

Spoiler

rf4_4.0.10498_20180820_003727.png

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

So 9kg isn’t trophy. Wow what is the trophy for pike now anyways? I been curious.

Now it's 10 kg.

• Like 2